Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling shorts

Old 06-06-21, 04:44 AM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Cycling shorts

I own a fitness hybrid bike and want to get cycling shorts. I notice there is mountain biking shorts and the road bike shirts , I like mountain biking Ones because they have pockets and look more casual , but is the comfort going to be worse ?

which type should I get and how much should I spend ?
please recommend some models that are reasonable priced
Old 06-06-21, 05:45 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
I have both mountain bike style and road style. I notice very minimal differences in comfort. Being a looser fit, the mountain bike shorts may hang up a bit on the saddle when I stand to pedal, but nothing that is a show stopper. I pick them up when I see them on sale at places like Academy Sports and probably pay around $30 bucks or so. I'm a casual rider so I don't see the need to go full on Fred and pay a ton of money for them. Canari is the brand typically sold in stores like I mentioned. They have affordable jerseys as well.

Old 06-06-21, 07:37 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Assos or stay home.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 06-06-21, 07:44 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Your kit should cost more than your bike says no one.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-06-21, 08:54 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
There is also the option of getting shorts designed as liners. That will get you the chamois and snug fit of bike shorts but allow you to wear whatever pants/shorts you want. Many of the companies that make bike clothing offer them.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-06-21, 09:10 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I wear regular cargo shorts. I like them because they have a lot of pockets. If I need more comfort on a longer ride I wear padded bike shorts underneath my cargo shorts.
Old 06-06-21, 09:20 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
These are well made, inexpensive, and they get great reviews for fit and comfort:

https://theblackbibs.com/collections/mens-bottoms

No pockets in these shorts. Pockets belong on the back of jerseys.

Old 06-06-21, 10:18 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I own a fitness hybrid bike and want to get cycling shorts. I notice there is mountain biking shorts and the road bike shirts , I like mountain biking Ones because they have pockets and look more casual , but is the comfort going to be worse ?

which type should I get and how much should I spend ?
please recommend some models that are reasonable priced
Depends on where you are at in your riding. Some beginners start with hybrid and then get in aerobic shape soon to discover that their conditioning now takes center stage. The rides get longer and fitness becomes better and an overall well being both on and off the bike.

That hybrid may soon become a transition towards a road bike. If so, the baggy bike shorts with pockets won't cut it.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 06-06-21, 12:05 PM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Depends on where you are at in your riding. Some beginners start with hybrid and then get in aerobic shape soon to discover that their conditioning now takes center stage. The rides get longer and fitness becomes better and an overall well being both on and off the bike.

That hybrid may soon become a transition towards a road bike. If so, the baggy bike shorts with pockets won't cut it.
I’ve only been riding for 8 months , and did think about a road bike but I so far only riding 30-45 minutes, and the fitness bike is reallly nice for it, I love it , maybe if my rides begin to average 1-1.5 hour or longer I will entertain the road bike.
but for rides I do I think the control of flat bar and quick access to brakes really great and super seeds the road bike
Old 06-06-21, 01:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Speak for yourself. I rode 138 miles this weekend on a road bike wearing cargo shorts.
Old 06-06-21, 02:06 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Speak for yourself. I rode 138 miles this weekend on a road bike wearing cargo shorts.
And the seams of those and underwear don't get you?

I recall on a ride across WA state, in the shower trucks, one guy was complaining about chaffing. There were about 5 or 6 of us guys in there and asked about his clothing. He then showed us his canvas jock strap and we all cringed in unison!!! Really, it was one of those old fashion heavy duty jock straps.
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-06-21, 02:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by kahn

I recall on a ride across WA state, in the shower trucks, one guy was complaining about chaffing. There were about 5 or 6 of us guys in there and asked about his clothing. He then showed us his canvas jock strap and we all cringed in unison!!! Really, it was one of those old fashion heavy duty jock straps.
On long distance rides I wear padded shorts underneath my cargo shorts. No problems with chaffing or discomfort.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-06-21, 02:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

What's wrong with wearing baggy cargo shorts on a road bike ??
Old 06-06-21, 02:16 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
My advice would be to buy a good pair of (plain black) bib shorts and try them out.
You can always wear loose shorts over them if you want.
I've just started riding again after a multi-year layoff, so I'm trying to avoid 'saddle sores' and chafing.
As your fitness improves, so will the length of your rides, and problems can arise. If you get a sore spot, you'll probably have to takes some time off the bike for healing.
(BTW, anti-friction products- Sport Shield, Friction Zone, etc. - or 'chamois cream' are useful, no matter what your shorts, IMO.)

For less-expensive: BlackBibs or 'Falconi' bibs from love2pedal would be worth a try.
I've used the love2pedal bibs and they are OK, but nothing near the quality of RedWhite ($130), which are my current favourites.
I also bought some (new) Hincapie bibs on eBay that are well-made and very comfortable.

I tried mountain bike shorts with a liner with padding but they weren't comfortable and I got chafing/saddlesores.
Perhaps they were poor quality (from MEC) but the liner fabric and the chamois/padding was nothing like the 'real' bibshorts.

Everybody is different, so saddles and shorts are in the 'you have to try it for yourself' category for me.

Remember, some of the folks here at BikeForum (not me!) have many many thousands of miles of cycling behind them - and on their behinds!
A**es of steel, probably.
Old 06-06-21, 02:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by kahn

Light boxers, not much in the way of seams. I did get some prickly heat, but that goes away with a shower, and is somewhat inevitable in 90+ degrees.

I have latex sensitivity, so I need to avoid most cycling clothes.
Old 06-06-21, 02:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by terrymorse

No pockets in these shorts. Pockets belong on the back of jerseys.
That's just your own opinion and preference.
Old 06-06-21, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
My advice would be to buy a good pair of (plain black) bib shorts and try them out.
You can always wear loose shorts over them if you want.
I've just started riding again after a multi-year layoff, so I'm trying to avoid 'saddle sores' and chafing.
As your fitness improves, so will the length of your rides, and problems can arise. If you get a sore spot, you'll probably have to takes some time off the bike for healing.
(BTW, anti-friction products- Sport Shield, Friction Zone, etc. - or 'chamois cream' are useful, no matter what your shorts, IMO.)

For less-expensive: BlackBibs or 'Falconi' bibs from love2pedal would be worth a try.
I've used the love2pedal bibs and they are OK, but nothing near the quality of RedWhite ($130), which are my current favourites.
I also bought some (new) Hincapie bibs on eBay that are well-made and very comfortable.

I tried mountain bike shorts with a liner with padding but they weren't comfortable and I got chafing/saddlesores.
Perhaps they were poor quality (from MEC) but the liner fabric and the chamois/padding was nothing like the 'real' bibshorts.

Everybody is different, so saddles and shorts are in the 'you have to try it for yourself' category for me.

Remember, some of the folks here at BikeForum (not me!) have many many thousands of miles of cycling behind them - and on their behinds!
A**es of steel, probably.
Totally agree on the "try things for yourself" approach . I'm always amused by people who don't ride 1/4 of what I do telling me that this or that item I don't wear is an absolute necessity. I've basically decided that if they don't try to convince me I need it, I won't try to convince them they don't. I figure people are the best experts on what works for them. I do advise newbies who say they're self-conscious about not being "serious" if they find they don't need stuff that that's probably taking marketing nonsense too seriously.
Old 06-06-21, 02:33 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Casual/hybrid type rider here too.

I wear these UA shorts mostly:
https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-.../dp/B089MNFKBZ

Sometimes with these padded under shorts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-06-21, 02:39 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Look at Voler’s website, American made cycling jerseys, bibs and shorts, great quality and like me, made in the USA!!
Likes For N2deep:
Old 06-06-21, 02:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Pockets belong on the back of jerseys.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's just your own opinion and preference.
I don't make the rules, and I don't enforce them. Obey them or don't, but be aware of the consequences.

Ref: Rules 30, 31, 39, 77.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-06-21, 02:46 PM
Tony P.

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
My typical rise is 3 hours and I don't find shorts to be a comfort issue. I use MTB style cargo shorts.
Old 06-06-21, 04:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Does your saddle have much padding? If so, a thick pad may make you more uncomfortable than you are now.

A note on Voler. They usually have 'mystery' stuff listed under the sale tab of their website. They are true bargains. Right now, they have triathlon shorts for $19. Tri shorts have thin pads.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-06-21, 06:03 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I mostly buy used on ebay and Poshmark but if I'm buying new, I buy American, from aerotechdesign.com in Pittsburgh. I loooove their wild spandex shorts! and I can wear a child's size!!!

I prefer padded mens shorts but I only take spin class, about 10 miles at a time over 45 minutes My daughter rides outside and prefers padded underwear but has 5-fingered a ton of my gear over the years !!!
Old 06-07-21, 07:16 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
I like the mountain bike shorts on a road bike, for the same reasons, but my normal rides are 40 miles or less. On longer rides I might want to try something else.
Tim
Old 06-07-21, 10:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread. Interesting to see the warring factions align themselves, though.

My advice to the OP is to not overthink it, and to not use a survey of BF General Cycling as your sole tool to reach to any conclusions.

I've read the arguments of the "other side" in this debate and believe them to be pure crap. But my beliefs are simply those...mine. You do you.
Likes For Phil_gretz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.