Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Style vs. Skill

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Style vs. Skill

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 04:06 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by bblevens
So a guy like me who physically isn't able to be a fast monster rider but loves to ride and is fortunate enough to be able to afford good bikes and decent kit is a poseur? (I think the term you're looking for is Fred).
I am not fast. I cannot ride a century. But I love to ride and I found that a carbon frame with Ultegra was not only comfortable but it helped me enjoy my riding more. Hence I get out more.
If the serious riders don't like me and think I'm just trying to fit in, I suppose it's their loss.
I don't normally reply like this but I'm afraid this hit me wrong. The whole premise seems pompous and diametrically opposed to what bike riding should be about.
I've got my asbestos on, so have at it.
Amen, brother. Folks should just go ride their bikes and forget about what others think of them, or what they think of others.
Old 08-23-21, 04:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon

To me, a poseur is the guy who has minimal experience but goes out and buys the most flashy, ostentatious equipment he can get. (Doesn't necessarily mean expensive, but it often is.) Then he starts strutting around, acting like he's cooler than the other side of the pillow, maybe even trash talking. When it's time to actually ride, he proves that he lacks the skill and conditioning to back up his image. He has written checks with his style that his body can't cash.
The more I think about this extreme stereotype poseur, the less I’m convinced he actually exists in real life. I can think of guys who exhibit some of these traits, but not the full house!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-23-21, 04:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by bblevens
So a guy like me who physically isn't able to be a fast monster rider but loves to ride and is fortunate enough to be able to afford good bikes and decent kit is a poseur? (I think the term you're looking for is Fred).
I am not fast. I cannot ride a century. But I love to ride and I found that a carbon frame with Ultegra was not only comfortable but it helped me enjoy my riding more. Hence I get out more.
If the serious riders don't like me and think I'm just trying to fit in, I suppose it's their loss.
I don't normally reply like this but I'm afraid this hit me wrong. The whole premise seems pompous and diametrically opposed to what bike riding should be about.
I've got my asbestos on, so have at it.
Exactly. Buy, wear and ride whatever you want. If you worked for it, you deserve it, and if you enjoy it, it is worth it, regardless of fitness level and/or bike handling skills.
Old 08-23-21, 04:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't mind those riders. In my experience, they know how to handle a bike. What I hate are the people riding 30mph in the bike lane on what's essentially an electric moped. Yes, it has pedals but they're not turning.
Yep. Going faster than their skill level can properly control is not a good recipe. If you're hammering at 30mph in a tight group, there's a high probability you've spent a lot of time on a bike, and know how to handle yourself. The idea of newbie on an e-bike going that fast is something I want to stay away from.
Old 08-23-21, 04:58 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I just like flashy colors and patterns because why dress like a banker for having fun? This new "muted, earth-toned, subtle" look of the past few years can DIAF. Give me red and black and blue and fluo, and patterns that make me want to stand up and hammer.
Old 08-23-21, 05:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Good grief! You must have a lot of time on your hands.
As for me: I've got high cred for a few things, but no doubt dragged WAY WAY down for my load cred ones. Thing is: I don't give a crap.
​​​​​​Yeah, well, I'm about to take all my kudos to the bank and trade them in for a down payment on a cup of coffee!
Old 08-23-21, 06:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Yeah, well, I'm about to take all my kudos to the bank and trade them in for a down payment on a cup of coffee!
Some of these? Kudos
Old 08-23-21, 06:17 PM
Cincinnatus
What, again?

Bikes: 199x REI Novara Corsa hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a clydesdale on a 25+ year old steel REI bike with a pump, rack, and rear pack. Haven't been riding for a couple of decades, getting back into it with more time on my hands. Got Shimano gears, brakesets, etc. I ride with my neighbors, putting 12-15 mile days, sometimes 25+.

If anyone gives a flying F what I look like, that's their problem. I wear gear that's hi-viz, comfy, & warm. I smile & wave at walkers, riders, & little kids.

OP, your graph is fun for you, but I think it's mental (something vulgar). You're getting wrapped around the axle trying to define in two, three, or maybe four static dimensions in what's essentially a moving universe of people & their kit is amusing to me. People & their gear change from day to day in what they wear, what they ride, who they ride with, and how they ride that day. If my neighbor chooses to ride one of his four bikes, and it happens to be the electric one, does that change who he is and what he's capable of on another of his bikes?

Carpe that old diem, friend. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, tomorrow might change your life.
Old 08-23-21, 06:33 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts
Kind of like a thread about the correlations, or lack thereof, between intelligence and physical attractiveness.

To explore those dimensions, I'm gonna go watch one of those youtube videos of the Botez sisters vs. Russian Paul.

Oh wait, that's chess, not cycling. Same principal, though.
Old 08-23-21, 07:54 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
OP, your graph is fun for you, but I think it's mental (something vulgar). You're getting wrapped around the axle trying to define in two, three, or maybe four static dimensions…
I really just meant it in fun, but I’m glad to see it has sparked a stimulating discussion.

Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
Carpe that old diem, friend. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, tomorrow might change your life.
I must not be literary enough, because I’m not familiar with this expression. I mean, I know the seize the day part; I saw “Dead Poets Society.”

If I’ve ruffled too many feathers with this thread, we could ask a moderator to lock it and then return the the usual rotation of What’s the best road tire, What’s your favorite chain lube, and How much is this bike worth?
Old 08-23-21, 08:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Hear, hear!

Those are not real cyclists. Kudos to them for at least getting outside. They could be sitting on their couch getting fat, but they go out and at least try. I don't care what they or their bikes look like any more than I care what someone is doing on his motor scooter. I respect what's done by anyone on a bike propelled exclusively by muscles!
Lets see. My wife and I used to do century rides and long distance hauls before she came down with a severe case of R.A. She was completely unable to ride any bike, even out tandem, for 7 years. She bought an e-bike last year and it has transformed her life. It is a pedal-assist bike which means, no pedal - no go. Last week we did a local island covering 36 miles and climbing 1600’. Two days ago she went out and did 30 miles and is proud how her muscles are developing and how she is getting stronger. She uses her muscles and even turns the 53 lb thing off when riding the flats and still runs at 15 MPH.

Personally I resent ill thought out blanket statements like yours. Of course your are entitled to make them, but if she read that, she would punch you in the face.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-23-21, 08:29 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
rsbob , I apologize for insulting you and your dear wife. I’m sincerely sorry. I hope we never meet up, because how embarrassing would it be to get punched by a lady? (Please don’t show her my post!)

I take back my statement that folks on e-bikes are not “real” cyclists.

Some of them are lazy slugs. Others need e-bikes because of physical difficulties, though they were once very legit muscle-propelled riders. And some are new to the sport so they need the electric assist to get them started.

Seems I made myself into a real troll once or twice. Keep riding those e-bikes, all you, um… e-bikers!
Old 08-23-21, 09:31 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
cycling, it seems, like many serious pastimes, has some seriously judgmental or assholish people in its ranks. that’s to be expected I suppose, especially when a sport has big surges in popularity like the lance years or the pandemic.

i ride an eBike. i do the vast majority of the work myself (95%+), obey most all laws, have never crashed into anyone or anything, had two open heart surgeries in my 30s, take a handful meds every day and have an implanted defibrillator to keep my genetically-doomed heart from killing me just yet, and ride right at the edge of what is safe for me. i go fairly hard every ride, sweat like crazy, do 200+ watts for hours and hours, but my heart rate never goes above 130. and people give me **** about my turbo creo *all the time*

”aren’t you a little young for an eBike”

“Bro, want to motor pace me?”

”turn that ******g thing off” (it usually is)

”I like your motorcycle”

“Loser”

etc.

there really is a small minority of guys out there, roughly in the middle right of this interesting chart, who are total *******s. luckily I don’t give a **** about them, and love cycling, and I love it more and more the more i do it.

or maybe they’re yelling at me because I don’t wear Lycra!?!?!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 08-23-21, 09:34 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Don't let them fool you OP. We all do it somewhere in our lives. The categories, comparisons, listings, etc. We wouldn't be human if we didn't.

Last edited by seypat; 08-24-21 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-24-21, 06:39 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Exactly. Buy, wear and ride whatever you want. If you worked for it, you deserve it, and if you enjoy it, it is worth it, regardless of fitness level and/or bike handling skills.
Never understood why so many people get bent out of shape over other people owning nice things. I have had a lot of hobbies over the years...boating, cycling, guitar, watches, guns, jetskis...and in all of those communities there is always a faction of people who seem to enjoy criticizing others based on ownership of stuff they don't have and can't afford. Like if you aren't an expert or aficionado you don't deserve the good stuff. Most of it is based on envy. If I work, have disposable income, and enjoy an particular hobby, why would anyone care if I own expensive things? It's nobody's business but mine. There are people out there who simply get their jollys by tearing other people down. It's human nature and the anonymity of the internet amplifies those instincts.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 08-24-21, 07:03 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Never understood why so many people get bent out of shape over other people owning nice things. I have had a lot of hobbies over the years...boating, cycling, guitar, watches, guns, jetskis...and in all of those communities there is always a faction of people who seem to enjoy criticizing others based on ownership of stuff they don't have and can't afford. Like if you aren't an expert or aficionado you don't deserve the good stuff. Most of it is based on envy. If I work, have disposable income, and enjoy an particular hobby, why would anyone care if I own expensive things? It's nobody's business but mine. There are people out there who simply get their jollys by tearing other people down. It's human nature and the anonymity of the internet amplifies those instincts.
I'd guess it's because the people owning the good stuff are criticizing the people who don't. Why do we have the term "Fred," after all? Surely, it's not because serious cyclists/whatever endeavors look down upon those who choose to do their own thing? That wouldn't be the reason, would it?
Old 08-24-21, 07:10 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Cyclists are judgemental for sure.

I have been riding my upright racing bike because my recumbent needs a shifter and I cannot get parts.

The same riders who would always wave to me on the recumbent, totally ignore me now. My feelings are hurt. LOL. My slow, fat butt on the racing bike has no street cred unlike when I blow past them at 35 mph on the bent. Since my recumbent is all black and I am all blacked out, they know me. The chubby guy on the racing bike who shouldn't be in an aero jersey? No wave for you. Insufficient street cred.
Old 08-24-21, 07:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
cycling, it seems, like many serious pastimes, has some seriously judgmental or assholish people in its ranks. that’s to be expected I suppose, especially when a sport has big surges in popularity like the lance years or the pandemic.

i ride an eBike. i do the vast majority of the work myself (95%+), obey most all laws, have never crashed into anyone or anything, had two open heart surgeries in my 30s, take a handful meds every day and have an implanted defibrillator to keep my genetically-doomed heart from killing me just yet, and ride right at the edge of what is safe for me. i go fairly hard every ride, sweat like crazy, do 200+ watts for hours and hours, but my heart rate never goes above 130. and people give me **** about my turbo creo *all the time*

”aren’t you a little young for an eBike”

“Bro, want to motor pace me?”

”turn that ******g thing off” (it usually is)

”I like your motorcycle”

“Loser”

etc.

there really is a small minority of guys out there, roughly in the middle right of this interesting chart, who are total *******s. luckily I don’t give a **** about them, and love cycling, and I love it more and more the more i do it.

or maybe they’re yelling at me because I don’t wear Lycra!?!?!
It's terrible that there are folks who treat other people this way, but I am curious why you chose an ebike if you're putting out the 200+ watts yourself for hours?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-24-21, 09:49 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
After giving up road racing back in the late '80s, I've mostly been a Fred, riding whatever I like, looking like whatever I like. Back in April, I did a metric century with a couple of riding buddies on my '85 Univega Alpina Uno old-school rigid MTB. They were riding vintage steel road bikes. At our lunch stop, we were joking about my Fredliness, and one of the friends says, referring to me, "Yeah, well, some of us have skill and ability, the rest of us have to buy 'the look.'" The other friend mentioned my propensity for blowing past kitted carbon fiber riding weekend warriors on my '70s road bikes with my "big motor."

Now I find myself going back to my roots. I just ordered a custom steel Hampsten straight-up roadie: Ultegra R8000 11-speed group, Ritchey WCS bits, Astral Solstice wheelset, Fizik saddle. Started wearing real jerseys and shorts again, rather than the cargo shorts and t-shirts I've been known for. Now I have to buy some real cycling shoes again, haha. Heck, maybe I'll even start competing again, in my age group (turned 55 in July).

All of which means exactly diddly, I guess. I'm a life-long cyclist, started at age 5. It's what I do; I have never been without a bike (or many). I enjoy it more than most anything else in my life, regardless of what I'm riding or wearing. I joke with my family that I will probably die on the bike. They joke that I will probably outlive them all because of my fitness and eating habits (paleo/primal).

The point is, no matter what you ride and what you wear while doing it, ENJOY THE RIDE.
Old 08-24-21, 10:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by seypat
I'd guess it's because the people owning the good stuff are criticizing the people who don't. Why do we have the term "Fred," after all? Surely, it's not because serious cyclists/whatever endeavors look down upon those who choose to do their own thing? That wouldn't be the reason, would it?
​​​​​​Because there was a cyclist named Fred who was a bad ass. Smithsonian had an exhibit from his ride around the world.
Old 08-24-21, 12:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Cyclists are judgemental for sure. ... No wave for you. Insufficient street cred.
Yes, road cyclists are a judgmental lot. I get more waves when I wear my one bike jersey (Castelli) than any of my football (soccer) jerseys. I am probably also looked down upon for not using clipless pedals.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-24-21, 12:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

You don't use clippless pedals??!? Welcome to my ignore list.

Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-24-21, 12:59 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You don't use clippless pedals??!? Welcome to my ignore list.

Yes, I bought a pair of Giro Empire SLX shoes 2 years ago and Speedplay ULA pedals 16 months ago but have been too *********** to try them. This may change now that I have an Apple Watch with fall detection enabled.
Old 08-24-21, 01:06 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's terrible that there are folks who treat other people this way, but I am curious why you chose an ebike if you're putting out the 200+ watts yourself for hours?
i live in a really hilly place, and with the gearing i have it takes way more than 200 watts to do huge climbs without my heart rate going way over the 130. i can also put down a lot of power for <1 minute, useful for steep little rollers but i need to catch my breath immediately after and let the HR drop.

i’ve been doing more and more rides with no motor at all, but am limited to moderately flat areas. i do want to get another, lighter, lower rolling resistance non electric bike with a lower lowest gear and see if i can spin up those 2,000 foot climbs myself.
Old 08-24-21, 01:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Yes, I bought a pair of Giro Empire SLX shoes 2 years ago and Speedplay ULA pedals 16 months ago but have been too *********** to try them. This may change now that I have an Apple Watch with fall detection enabled.
Remember it's slow, clip out, stop; not slow, stop, fall over. 🙂

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.