Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

On-bike chain scrubber you think is better than a Park Tool CM-25?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-19-21, 05:33 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

I like the Filzer chain cleaner I have which has four scrub wheels with center and side brushes but it's developed stress cracks in the plastic housing after moderate use over a few years. I splurged on an aluminum-bodied Park Tool CM-25 because it seems obviously built to last - functionally it's identical to their plastic-bodied CM 5.3 Cyclone scrubber. The CM-25 has one large wheel with center and side brushes, two with center brushes. I haven't used it yet since I just cleaned the chain with the Filzer which is when I noticed the cracks so haven't had a chance to compare the results.

Anyone feel there's a clearly better on-bike chain scrubber than the CM-25 or do you feel it works about as well as any?
Old 09-19-21, 09:37 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I can not stand those things. I use a brush to put Pedro's degreaser on the chain, wait a few minutes, then remove with a cheap car wash sponge and soapy water. Spray with water, dry, lube.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-19-21, 10:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...I've never seen an on bike chain scrubber that I thought was a good design. The concept itself is probably flawed, so I guess the one you're talking about is as good as any of them. I do not understand the reluctance of many to simply remove the chain for cleaning, but there are many things I don't understand.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-19-21, 10:48 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Wipe the chain good with OMS or take off a quick link and dump it in OMS for a bit while you clean the rest of the bike. Done, no fancy tools and easy. Folks on bike forums at times make way too much noise (pun intended) on chains and lubing/cleaning. In the end unless you happen to ride in the worst of conditions it is too much focus on one item.
Old 09-19-21, 11:40 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
I use this when I need to quickly brush off the chain:

https://www.rei.com/product/697481/f...sku=6974810019

But for any more significant cleaning I remove it and dunk it into a bottle of odorless mineral spirits.
Old 09-19-21, 02:04 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
In defense of chain cleaner tools what they are saving you is time/hassle/mess. Fill, pop on, zip, dump, done. Nearly all the mess stays in the little box. They don't work as well as removing the chain but congrats you have saved 15 minutes by using one of these tools.

Here is a recent video reviewing many models. I have the Park Tool one myself and I think the Park and Pedros come out on top in his assessment. I also asked the local shop what they do and they are using the Park tool.

Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 09-19-21, 02:07 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 740 Posts
I agree with the others to just take off the chain and soak/swish around in a jar of Odorless Mineral Spirits. I've used 3 different on-bike cleaners one of them being the Park Cyclone and all were messy, used excessive cleaner/solvent to get the chain clean, were a pain to clean up after use, and in general a PITA compared to popping off the chain, drop in a jar with a couple changes of clean solvent until reasonably clear, wipe down the chain and let dry, install, done. My experience is that the chain cleaners didn't save any time and often took more time. If you use OMS you can save the used spirits in a jar and let the gunk settle to the bottom after a couple days. Pour off the clear spirits into another jar and wipe out the gunk from the bottom and your used spirits can be used over and over again.
Old 09-19-21, 02:24 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Do you replace the master link each time or reuse it 2 or 3 times before replacing it? Seems like all the master links I have seen for sale say one time use only.
Old 09-19-21, 02:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Do you replace the master link each time or reuse it 2 or 3 times before replacing it? Seems like all the master links I have seen for sale say one time use only.
...not sure why they say that, but they work with repeated opening and closing, and I see no mechanical reason not to do so.
Those Shimano break off chain pins are another matter, and are only good for one time.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-19-21, 02:49 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,811 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
That "one time use" BS started with SRAM doing an end run around the Superlink patent.
It is all a moot point since the patents expired.
The link lasts as long as the chain, regardless of the claim of "non-reusable".

There are 2 kinds of Superlink-style (SRAM, KMC, etc) links: latching, and non-latching.
The former is a simple interference fit that requires a tool to remove (e.g. Park MLP-1.2) while the latter can be removed with bare hands.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 09-19-21, 04:16 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 740 Posts
I like to mention that on my 8-10 speed KMC chains that I often use the same quick link for around 10-12K miles and almost 3 chains before there is visible wear in the QL. They get removed and re-used around 25 times for chain cleaning and never had a failure. I have no experience with 11 speed and durability but imagine it's close to the same. Agree with 3alarmer and Shimagnolo. Perfectly fine to use them over and over.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-19-21, 04:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I like to mention that on my 8-10 speed KMC chains that I often use the same quick link for around 10-12K miles and almost 3 chains before there is visible wear in the QL. They get removed and re-used around 25 times for chain cleaning and never had a failure. I have no experience with 11 speed and durability but imagine it's close to the same. Agree with 3alarmer and Shimagnolo. Perfectly fine to use them over and over.
This is good to know. I was gonna toss my 11 speed Shimano ones after the third time I closed them, but being kinda cheap and not that powerful, I figure that they should stay fine until they latch by themselves without using the trident link pliers.
Old 09-19-21, 07:44 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
In defense of chain cleaner tools what they are saving you is time/hassle/mess. Fill, pop on, zip, dump, done. Nearly all the mess stays in the little box. They don't work as well as removing the chain but congrats you have saved 15 minutes by using one of these tools.

Here is a recent video reviewing many models. I have the Park Tool one myself and I think the Park and Pedros come out on top in his assessment. I also asked the local shop what they do and they are using the Park tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkhnfflaDM
Thanks - I see that the Bikehand is the same as the Filzer unit I have. Something that video made me realize is that the plastic Park Tool Cyclone has a magnet at the bottom to catch metal debris as does the Bikehand/Filzer but the aluminum Park Tool doesn't. I'll have to figure a way to rig one. I'm thinking some flexible magnetic strip across the bottom that's a snug fit against the sides of the case.
Old 09-20-21, 04:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...not sure why they say that, but they work with repeated opening and closing, and I see no mechanical reason not to do so.
I use mine for the life of the chain, and am a naturally paranoid risk-averse person.

Those Shimano break off chain pins are another matter, and are only good for one time.
This is the answer to your first question (why I was reluctant to remove the chain for cleaning).

I switched to wax about the same time the Shimano quick links came out and my life became a lot cleaner, easier, and my drive train stuff lasts at least twice as long.
Old 09-20-21, 05:10 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I keep chains in rotation, if i need a clean one, pop the link, thread the clean one and put the link on and boom, I’ve beat your time by 10 minutes, and ALL off my chain mess is where it should be, not nearly all. All those cleaners ever did was spray dirty fluid all over the floor as it dripped off the chain as it comes out of the tool.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 09-21-21, 11:04 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by canopus
I keep chains in rotation, if i need a clean one, pop the link, thread the clean one and put the link on and boom, I’ve beat your time by 10 minutes, and ALL off my chain mess is where it should be, not nearly all. All those cleaners ever did was spray dirty fluid all over the floor as it dripped off the chain as it comes out of the tool.
You can't beat me by 10 minutes when the whole procedure only took me 5 minutes. I also get very little spray with the Park tool.

Time issues aside, I am not an expert bike mechanic and I'd rather not have to figure out if my master link re-attached well enough. The downside for failure there can be severe.
Old 09-21-21, 11:42 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Time issues aside, I am not an expert bike mechanic and I'd rather not have to figure out if my master link re-attached well enough. The downside for failure there can be severe.
I am not a master bike mechanic either; you may want to consider these: Amazon.com : Super B 2-in-1 Master Link Pliers (The Trident) : Sports & Outdoors
Old 09-21-21, 11:47 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

How do you tell if the link re-attached well? When I looked into this it seems like you need to be aware of the sound made by a "good" re-attachment and if it doesn't click in well enough you need to replace the link. So I decided to pass on removing my chain for cleaning. This is why you need to know your stuff before removing chains regularly.
Old 09-21-21, 01:58 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I am not an expert bike mechanic and I'd rather not have to figure out if my master link re-attached well enough. The downside for failure there can be severe.
I got nothing really if you can't handle a ML.. never had one fail, but I've only been using them for 42 yrs...
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 09-21-21, 02:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

How do you tell if the link re-attached well? When I looked into this it seems like you need to be aware of the sound made by a "good" re-attachment and if it doesn't click in well enough you need to replace the link. So I decided to pass on removing my chain for cleaning. This is why you need to know your stuff before removing chains regularly.
I don't think it is quite as esoteric as what you seem to have described. The determination is not based on the quality of the sound of the quick links snapping close. I put the quick links in place and pull the chain from either side to align the quick links, which should not close from that slight force; if they do, they are too loose. Then I use the Trident quick link pliers (which I linked to above) to close them and the force required tells me whether they are too loose or still good. If you are really concerned, make a note of how many times you have used them, and toss them after a limited number of closures.
Old 09-21-21, 06:19 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
My bicycle has a 10 speed chain and I have always used Shimano's pin to connect. Chain is Shimano. I decided to try a quick link on my last chain replacement and found that around 3K miles there was wear in the quick link chain holes caused by the sloppy fit of the quick link(KMC). The quick link pins were fine, it just that there is play in the pin fit to the holes and this wears over use. If I measured my chain for wear with the quick link in the measurement it showed it was worn out. But, if I measured with the quick link not in the measurement then the chain was still good to use. So, a quick link to me is adding a machined part that has poor tolerances to the two chain holes it is connecting. With the Shimano pin you have to use a chain tool to force the pin in and I have never seen that pin to wear out before the whole chain does.
Old 09-21-21, 08:58 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I've never seen an on bike chain scrubber that I thought was a good design. The concept itself is probably flawed, so I guess the one you're talking about is as good as any of them. I do not understand the reluctance of many to simply remove the chain for cleaning, but there are many things I don't understand.
Going by what I've read elsewhere there's no need to get the chain factory clean including inside the rollers, that the goal is to get the majority of the crud off, which the cleaner does. I'd say the Filzer/Bikehand with its four brushes, magnet, built-in fill port and the way it keeps the chain in a straight path which facilitates both easy loading and easy movement of the chain is well designed - the main flaw being that it's plastic and subject to fractures. Too bad they don't make an aluminum version of it the way Park Tool has done.

Originally Posted by canopus
Aren't you just deferring the time? If you're rotating chains at some point you're spending additional time cleaning them.

I always clean the chain and rinse it in the driveway on a bike repair stand - the chain crud returns to the environment it came from along with some biodegradable citrus degreaser. More of a problem if you live in an apartment I suppose but I'm pretty sure a long, shallow plastic tub that you can get at Walmart would catch the runoff.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 09-22-21 at 08:26 PM.