Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Northwave shoes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Northwave shoes

Old 09-23-21, 10:38 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Northwave shoes

Does anyone have experience with these shoes? I have the Core Plus Wide at the moment, but am looking to upgrade. I am eyeing the Extreme GT 2 ones but am wondering if they would also suit my wider foot.

Update: In case someone comes across this in the future. Found a store that did not have the Extreme GT 2 but the Mistral. They were not as comfortable. In fact, I tested about a dozen pairs of shoes at least, and by far the most comfortable were the Bontrager Ballista Knit. So those are the ones I got in the end.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 10-02-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-23-21, 03:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
I have some standard width Northwave Celsius Arctic winter boots for my sloghtly-on-the-wider side feet, and the Celsius are roomy, particularly theough the mid-foot and toes. It may be accommodation Northwave make in their winter line for heavier socks, but cannot say. The only other Northwaves I had were MTB shoes back in the ‘90s, so even if that was a relevant reference point, I don’t remember anything about ‘em other than the cool colors.
Old 09-23-21, 07:02 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
I also find Northwave to be a little wider than most other brands. Turns out I actually needed true E width, but they were otherwise great shoes.
Old 09-29-21, 09:28 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I've got a pair of Northwave Extreme Pro's. The shoes are really light and overall is quite stiff in the sole and upper; it's what you expect for a race shoe.

Like urbanknight noted, they're a little wider than your typical European shoes e.g. Giro, Sidi; they fit true to size for the American market. Follow the size chart and measure your foot length as the sizing is a bit different. An example is that I wear a EU 45 in the Giro Empire ACC where I'm a EU 44 in the Northwave's.

By the way, Northwave uses their own tech for the dial fastener. It's similar to the BOA but you have to lift a lever to release the dials; you can also microadjust the fit with the lever.
Old 09-30-21, 01:14 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Discovering Northwave road cycling shoes has been a revelation for me. I still go one size larger but the fit is perfect including width. I don't like (and don't need) ratchets so it's great that Northwave still do three strap shoes but even the two strap shoes I've just bought for commuting are great.