Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ride Clean

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 06:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
there is a view other than flat view?
Old 12-04-15, 07:01 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
there is a view other than flat view?
i thought there was, but i didn't find it in thread tools.

i figured there must be, because otherwise why not quote a post? it's not like there's an extra click. quoting eliminates any confusion. i can't often follow along in real-time.
Old 12-04-15, 07:07 PM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
the podium picture on the steps, to me, just illustrates how silly it all is. doping....for that? ugh.

i kind of get doping to win the olympics or the TdF....there is big money and careers at stake. a masters state championship? weird.
it's called vanity drugs/ vanity doping. those ******s ruin even the sport they purport to love. Or outright deny it like that wank Meeker- who said, [I didn't dope-it's just a hobby anyway].

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-05-15 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 07:09 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
it's called vanity drugs/ vanity doping. those ******s ruin even the sport they purport to love. Or outright deny it like that wank Meeker- who said, [I didn't dope-it's just a hobby anyway].
well, right....and people get ticked off about it, which is why USAC is doing a surcharge, etc, etc. we come full circle.

your attitude is shared by many and is, i think, why DBH is at least trying something new here. let's hope the money does some good.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-05-15 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 07:12 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
i thought there was, but i didn't find it in thread tools.

i figured there must be, because otherwise why not quote a post? it's not like there's an extra click. quoting eliminates any confusion. i can't often follow along in real-time.

There's a box right below the last post to reply to. I just type in the box. It always seemed evident to me that if there's no quite it refers to the preceding post.
Old 12-04-15, 07:28 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I hope the Cat 1 surcharge blows up in USAC's face with a raft of downgrades. There very little benefit beyond being able to jump into a couple races a year in having that "1", and bragging rights. I'll save that $20, thanks.
There are a bunch of reasons not to do Cat 1. Kids find it hard to resist. I have not figured out what it gives unless you want to independently race NRC/NCC.
Old 12-04-15, 07:59 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I took a banned in competition drug during a race last year and DNF'd. I showed my Epi-Pen to the officials as I rode back to the car but no one seemed very excited about it.
I did the same during the opening TT of a stage race last year. Official and reg tent didn't seem interested and I headed to the ER.
Old 12-04-15, 08:00 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
maybe!
Old 12-04-15, 10:33 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
There's a box right below the last post to reply to. I just type in the box. It always seemed evident to me that if there's no quite it refers to the preceding post.
sometimes posts are happening at the same time. if you hit quote, never an issue. ;-)

sometimes i'm scanning and just miss the context. my fault.
Old 12-05-15, 05:10 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

after 20 years of posting on forums I don't really see it changing (see what I did there).

I actually find the quote thing a pain in the ass on my phone as it takes up the whole viewable box usually and it's hard for me to type.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-05-15 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-05-15, 05:17 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

and fudgy did the same thing at the top of the page! And there was a page change!!

damn rule breakers
Old 12-05-15, 06:50 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
He has (had) eight jerseys. Some hobby.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-05-15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 06:52 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
I did the same during the opening TT of a stage race last year. Official and reg tent didn't seem interested and I headed to the ER.
There is nothing we can do about it. We are not equipped trained or supported to enforce USADA rules. You could shoot up EPO at the start line and there is nothing we could do about it other than report it to USAC.
Old 12-05-15, 10:07 AM
Surfer3287

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I may be Pollyanna here, and/or this may just say more about my parents/upbringing/hoemtown, etc., but how easy is it to get your hands on the materials needed for doping? I've daydreamed once or twice about my ignorance of the world in some circles, and wondered the same about finding a "drug dealer", since every program in schools makes it seem like there's one on every street corner. While drugs are a problem (much more so the hardcore drugs than the green stuff being sold in dispensaries), I wouldn't know who to go to (it's not like they wear IDs) and would be most likely to be the one that picks the undercover cop because he "looks like a drug dealer."

I know it's all out there (I'm a middle school teacher, I see a LOT of stuff being started early, unfortunately), but is the world a much darker and scarier place than I have seen it to be with my own eyes? I'd like to think that my small-er races that get combined to Cat 3-5 + Masters pretty often (or the crit series that started this winter in Tampa that runs the A & B race together, Cat 1-5) are clean, and that people riding away are simply demonstrating the disparity between categories...
Old 12-05-15, 10:13 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Go to GNC, buy stuff.

For a lot of things it is actually that easy. I'm sure other stuff like EPO could be snagged on the intertubes. There's a doc on Netflix called Bigger, Stronger, Faster which is only sort of about steroid usage in sports, but it talks about how easy it is to get testosterone and hgh from a doctor. Whether or not that's actually true I dunno, but the dudes in the documentary are fuggin huge so they probably know what they're talking about.
Old 12-05-15, 10:20 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Here is a compliance tip...stay out of GNC.
Old 12-05-15, 11:01 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

All this stuff is easy to obtain and some of it you can just but in a pharmacy In Other countries. I've heard stories from ex pros and high end amateurs of guys (some who eventually failed tests) stocking up when racing in Latin America. Papp infamously sold epo online.
Old 12-05-15, 01:59 PM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Who cares how they get drugs. You can buy anything nowadays. I'm sure if I sold water in vials with a needle as EPO, I'd have a thriving business.

The fact that age groupers are doping is pathetic. That is how desperate and little these morons have become.
Maybe it's the aftermath of Lance, but all these age grouper dopers with their little egos are just worth pity.

The fact you can't enjoy cycling and competition on your own merits is pathetic.
Old 12-05-15, 02:41 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
the podium picture on the steps, to me, just illustrates how silly it all is. doping....for that? ugh.

i kind of get doping to win the olympics or the TdF....there is big money and careers at stake. a masters state championship? weird.
I guess everything important happens on the front porch down in LAMBRA, even the podium pics.
Old 12-05-15, 03:22 PM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Hey the ****** made Velonews! Good for him!
https://velonews.competitor.com/2015/...onships_390281

He doped to beat NINE other riders. There were only 10 people in that race and the idiot had to dope.
That is soooooo pathetic! I guess he can go back to eating bologna and mayo sandwiches and bone up on the banjo for the next four years.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-05-15 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 03:24 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
But he's going to live forever, so mission accomplished. It may be in the annals of doping lore, but it technically counts.
Old 12-05-15, 05:58 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
after 20 years of posting on forums I don't really see it changing (see what I did there).

I actually find the quote thing a pain in the ass on my phone as it takes up the whole viewable box usually and it's hard for me to type.
i hear you on that.

damn....forums in 1995???
Old 12-05-15, 06:08 PM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i hear you on that.

damn....forums in 1995???
I think it sounded like this
https://www.dialupsound.com/
Old 12-05-15, 06:53 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Yeah I got my first modern computer to participate in one for a collective of meditators doing a training. Dial up indeed. Will you ever forget that sound?
Old 12-05-15, 06:55 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer3287
I may be Pollyanna here, and/or this may just say more about my parents/upbringing/hoemtown, etc., but how easy is it to get your hands on the materials needed for doping? I've daydreamed once or twice about my ignorance of the world in some circles, and wondered the same about finding a "drug dealer", since every program in schools makes it seem like there's one on every street corner. While drugs are a problem (much more so the hardcore drugs than the green stuff being sold in dispensaries), I wouldn't know who to go to (it's not like they wear IDs) and would be most likely to be the one that picks the undercover cop because he "looks like a drug dealer."

I know it's all out there (I'm a middle school teacher, I see a LOT of stuff being started early, unfortunately), but is the world a much darker and scarier place than I have seen it to be with my own eyes? I'd like to think that my small-er races that get combined to Cat 3-5 + Masters pretty often (or the crit series that started this winter in Tampa that runs the A & B race together, Cat 1-5) are clean, and that people riding away are simply demonstrating the disparity between categories...
It's easy to think you're buying stuff. I remember someone getting busted for doping even though he didn't have actual doping products (he had bought counterfeits). I don't have a link.

Somewhere (here?) I saw a link to an excerpt to LA Confidential. That was never published in English, but someone painstakingly typed it out in English and scanned it in some PDF machine. They posted 1 section for free but you had to sign up to get the other 3 sections.

It was Joe Papp's site.

I signed up, read the other 3 sections (it wasn't much different than From Lance to Landis).

I also got emailed a lot of ads for EPO. I'm not clear on how much EPO a rider would take but the ads said that you could get a season of EPO for $600 or $900. Next day shipping, they would reship if you didn't get your product, etc. Remember, this is how Papp made some significant money, so a bunch of people bought into it. I recall him making something in the mid-upper 5 digits so that means maybe 100 "seasons" of EPO. I also remember an article saying Papp had 180 or 190 customers, so maybe a bunch bought an intro pack or whatever.

I just remembered he sold either HGH or test or something as well, so maybe some people bought that.

I haven't Googled anything recently but I think doping products are readily available.

Today I brought a car over to our detail section for Simonize. The guy with the Simonize tried to give me a bottle to give to the detail guys, but I said I already had one. He counted his certificates, his bottles, and he had an extra. I'm going to ask for a few before I leave, since I won't be able to get them after. They're not meant for sale online but they're out there. Stuff gets loose.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.