Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes are now the default on road bikes – and no one cares

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-24-20, 03:51 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by OldChipper
Agree whole-heartedly with the last point. That said, rim brakes HAVE evolved and improved. Today’s rim bakes are 1000% better than those of 20-30 years ago and even noticeably better than in the 2000’s. There are also direct-mount rim brakes which are a notable improvement. I’d submit that precisely BECAUSE mediocre rim brakes work just fine is why THEY should prevail. Improperly bled hydraulic discs, ones that get a bubble in the line (come on, how many of us have more than one bike hung upside down in the garage! ), ones where you’ve touched the lever with the wheel out (horrors!), ones that you didn’t cover with a plastic bag when you cleaned or lubed your bike, or one with even a slightly tweaked rotor, etc. etc. DON’T.
Direct mount brakes have been available at least 90 years. Some recent rim brakes are harder to mess up but they have so many other mechanical problems I'll stick with old ones.

Thanks for agreeing with what was the most important part.
Old 02-24-20, 03:53 PM
sloman

Bikes: Three Bianchis,Fuji fixed(sold),assorted others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is really no downside to disc.(except grams) , but I still prefer rim brakes for looks. But I'm an old guy. Now get off my lawn
Old 02-24-20, 03:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Cbare68
8 pages on rim vs disc... I am sure glad the internet wasn’t around when we went from non-indexed to indexed shifters...
There are a lot of old cyclists, and a lot of clouds in the sky ...
Old 02-24-20, 04:34 PM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Brakes

I'm still trying to decide if Center pull or Side pull brakes are better. I'm hoping to enter the 21st Century soon.
Old 02-24-20, 05:09 PM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Pure climbers are winning on disc brake bikes and no one cares, so has the argument been settled?

Last weekend, Nairo Quintana blazed up the notorious 10km climb to Chalet Reynard on Mont Ventoux, to win stage three of the Tour de la Provence and take the overall race lead.

After the stage, chatter across the cycling media was focused almost entirely on the return to form of a rider whose star has waned slightly in recent years. What didn’t warrant a mention, however, was that Quintana rode a bike equipped with disc brakes.

Bike Radar

This raises several issues.
1) Carbon rims need disc brakes to be safe and avoid undue wear.
2) Disc brakes are heavier, require stronger stays and forks because they are not centered, the braking force tends to torque the frame, and it is annoying to change wheels.
3) If you have a hydraulic leak you are toast.
4) Direct mount rim brakes on alloy rims is a newer solution. They are much stronger and effective than the old style brakes. The weight difference between carbon wheels and alloy wheels and the weight of the disk brakes and the heavier stays and forks end up making the carbon wheels of questionable value unless you are a racer.
5) Direct mount rim brakes have an inherent mechanical advantage over disc brakes. The force it takes to stop a rotating force at 3 or 4 inches is many times that of a rim brake at 12 inches from center.
6) Disc brakes are clodish and ugly. There is nothing remotely elegant about them. The frame connections are ugly.
7) Disk brakes and carbon wheels push the cost of a bike up dramatically.

One major problem with direct mount rim brakes is that you can not just put them on any bike. The frame has to have the connections built in to the fork and stays. See the photos below.

Last edited by Johnk3; 02-24-20 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 05:14 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
2) Disc brakes are heavier, require stronger stays and forks because they are not centered, the braking force tends to torque the frame, and it is annoying to change wheels.
4) Direct mount rim brakes on alloy rims is a newer solution. They are much stronger and effective than the old style brakes. The weight difference between carbon wheels and alloy wheels and the weight of the disk brakes and the heavier stays and forks end up making the carbon wheels of questionable value unless you are a racer.
5) Direct mount rim brakes have an inherent mechanical advantage over disc brakes. The force it takes to stop a rotating force at 3 or 4 inches is many times that of a rim brake at 12 inches from center.
6) Disc brakes are clodish and ugly. There is nothing remotely elegant about them. The frame connections are ugly.
that’s a lot of horse**** for one post.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-24-20, 05:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by LeftyS7
I'm still trying to decide if Center pull or Side pull brakes are better. I'm hoping to enter the 21st Century soon.
The old Mafac centerpull (and cantilever) brakes are still pretty good. I use RACERs as from brake for my winter/city/rain bikes and they are stoppers. For pads I use the ubiquitous KoolStops and for levers I use Tektro road, To get the same feel I use Weinmann (I believe; they are Schwinn approved) CPs on back. With full length rear housing, they have the same "squish" as the Mafac fronts and far less power so I don't get lockup on very hard stops.
Old 02-24-20, 06:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
The climb is fun, but the descent is an absolute hoot!

Is the sheriff still up there that likes to hassle anyone on two wheels (he used to be as bad with bicycles as motorcycles)?
I can only say it was a nice uphill drive when I visited the area on a non-bike trip... but boy that seemed long even in a car :-)
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-24-20, 06:37 PM
tomato coupe

Disc brakes are heavier, require stronger stays and forks because they are not centered...
Do these stays and fork look big and heavy to you?
Old 02-24-20, 06:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Dual pivot brakes are at least 90 years old. Original Shimano 600 were ordinary single pivot sidepull. If you think current Ultegra is good enough then you would be happy on most any antediluvian rim caliper were it only properly fitted.
I eagerly await your pictures or links to pictures of a modern style dual pivot that's 90 years old. When shimano 600 came out you are right they used single pivot and you can read what I said that way. What I was actually saying was that when shimano came out with dual pivots the shimano 600 version that I bought were much better then any previous brake. And no, most old rim brakes, no matter how well you set them up were crap, the materials are by modern standards subpar and the means of mounting, quality of the pad rubber, actual engineering, etc were not up to the task of a decent stopping job. To attempt to claim that being happy with the stopping power of a modern ultegra dual pivot would somehow equate to being happy with any previous version of rim brake is absurd and makes your arguments sound ludicrous. quality V-brakes and dual pivots came into existence and stuck around because of their obvious superiority. Just like disc are here to stay.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-24-20, 06:42 PM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Do these stays and fork look big and heavy to you?
Stronger and heavier does not necessarily mean larger. But I am a steel guy and believe that one reason for the tour bikes being large diameter carbon is the increase in advertising space for their name.
Old 02-24-20, 06:43 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I can only say it was a nice uphill drive when I visited the area on a non-bike trip... but boy that seemed long even in a car :-)
It’s long, but not very steep.

Next time I’ll get one of those behind the saddle bottle holders.
Old 02-24-20, 06:50 PM
tomato coupe

Stronger and heavier does not necessarily mean larger.
That disc brake frame weighs only 4g more the rim brake version. That's less than a 0.5% difference.
But I am a steel guy and believe that one reason for the tour bikes being large diameter carbon is the increase in advertising space for their name.
Yeah, I'm sure that's why they do it.
Old 02-24-20, 07:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

One major problem with direct mount rim brakes is that you can not just put them on any bike. The frame has to have the connections built in to the fork and stays. See the photos below.
​​​​​​Have you ever heard of anyone getting a hydraulic leak on a bike? There are a lot of hypothetical things that could go wrong. Metal rims could fail from wear on there brake tracks. I've actually heard if that happening to somebody.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-24-20, 07:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

That disc brake frame weighs only 4g more the rim brake version. That's less than a 0.5% difference.
The pessimist in me says that the bike makers are making the rim brake versions heavier than they need to be, just so they can make these kinds of claims. But I'm partially insane.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-24-20, 07:20 PM
noodle soup

​​​​​​Have you ever heard of anyone getting a hydraulic leak on a bike? There are a lot of hypothetical things that could go wrong. Metal rims could fail from wear on there brake tracks. I've actually heard if that happening to somebody.
I’ve had the end of a brake cable snap off once, but I still stopped safely.

To be totally honest, I had no brakes after that, but it happened on a FG bike.
Old 02-24-20, 07:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by noodle soup
It’s long, but not very steep.

Next time I’ll get one of those behind the saddle bottle holders.
I was most impressed by the fact when I left town (tuscon) it was a nice ~60 degrees... and at the top of Mt Lemmon, the ski lifts were operating
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-24-20, 07:21 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The pessimist in me says that the bike makers are making the rim brake versions heavier than they need to be, just so they can make these kinds of claims. But I'm partially insane.
Only partially?
Old 02-24-20, 07:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Only partially?
It's hard to answer that question because I'm not sure which voice to listen to.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-24-20, 07:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
I was with a guy when his brake track blew off, it sounded like a gunshot. When I used to mtb in snow a lot I would wear through brake tracks regularly.
Have seen other road bike wheels with a failed brake track.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-24-20, 07:33 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
I've had 4 bikes with cantilever brakes, still have one sitting in the garage. Cantilever brakes suck, vee-brakes are way better. I have Mavic caliper brakes on my main bike and they are way better than any cantilever brake I've ever used.
Old 02-24-20, 08:01 PM
Johnk3

That is quite true. It is hypothetical. But I worry that now that disc brakes are the norm on almost every level of bike, that inexperienced bike mechanics may change that.

A while back I was talking to my local LBS owner and racer type about a very steep hill that was used for a time trial. I asked how do you get back down? He laughed and said "You sure don't want to try that on a Walmart bike put together by a 15 year old kid."
Old 02-24-20, 08:04 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I eagerly await your pictures or links to pictures of a modern style dual pivot that's 90 years old. When shimano 600 came out you are right they used single pivot and you can read what I said that way. What I was actually saying was that when shimano came out with dual pivots the shimano 600 version that I bought were much better then any previous brake. And no, most old rim brakes, no matter how well you set them up were crap, the materials are by modern standards subpar and the means of mounting, quality of the pad rubber, actual engineering, etc were not up to the task of a decent stopping job. To attempt to claim that being happy with the stopping power of a modern ultegra dual pivot would somehow equate to being happy with any previous version of rim brake is absurd and makes your arguments sound ludicrous. quality V-brakes and dual pivots came into existence and stuck around because of their obvious superiority. Just like disc are here to stay.
Obviously there is no "modern style" brake that is 90 years old. What kind of question is that? There are two pivot cantis at least from 1929. Two pivots is two pivots. In the "modern style" the arms move inexorably to center and simply crucify the rim. Then rapid rim wear becomes a reason for using discs. Only works well when the rim and frame are more perfect than can reasonably be expected. Needs every part of system in perfect alignment and needs every part to remain in perfect alignment. Bikes aren't like that.

What "better " seems to mean to people who like their "modern" dual pivots is only that less force is needed at the lever. I don't subscribe to the idea that those with no hand strength at all should even be attempting to ride down the mountain. Strength is needed to control every other part of the bike. If you ain't got it you should not be there. Or at least you should ride slow.

Better materials than the forged arms of a Mafac brake? They last forever, do not wear out. Older Weinmanns the same, they just do not wear out. Yes, you can set them up so as to sabotage them and get very poor performance. Failure rate on these archaic dual pivot brakes is essentially zero. Anyone ever see one broken? Millions and millions of calipers made and they all work. Proven track record of these parts is stunning. No one, no one at all is going to be using any current production bike part 60 or 70 years from now. All of it landfill in progress.

On mountain descents where the pavement remains same as it was there is no change in how long it takes to get from peak to valley for 65 years now. If you want to like a brake because it feels good to you, fine, you don't need any more reason than that. That there is a night and day difference in function is rubbish. What the rider does is in every case far more important than what brake is on the bike. Last time there was a change in brakes that made a difference was 1953. Since then the best brakes of the day have all been more than good enough. The rider rides the bike. The kit does not operate the bike.
Old 02-24-20, 08:10 PM
Johnk3

Yeah, I'm sure that's why they do it.
I was being my typical cynical and facetious self. But, only half so. I do think the big bike companies spend a lot of time and effort into what their bikes look like and how prominent their name is displayed. After all, advertising is one of the major reasons a bike company would want their bikes used by a team in the tour.

The frame for a disc bike does not weigh much more than a rim bike frame, but according to road.cc the rotors, fluid, calipers etc. can add up to a pound more than a rim brake bike for the whole disc bike.

Last edited by Johnk3; 02-24-20 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 08:23 PM
Tom B.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Disc brakes

No denying that discs have advantages to rim brakes, primarily in the wet...and no wear on your trims. BUT, I have at least 6 pair of different wheels that I like to switch out for different reasons between my different bikes--but you can't do that unless all your wheels are discs. Not to mention more maintenance then good calipers--and more weight too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.