Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Kreitler Rollers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 12:22 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Kreitler Rollers

Thought I would share a photo of my Kreitler Rollers/Killer Headwind/Magnet Bar implementation. Additionally, the chassis is a freemotion rollers project. Happy to answer any questions about the rare earth magnets, freemontion chassis or Killer Headwind.

Likes For gkamieneski:
Old 02-12-21, 01:07 PM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
how does the jig work with the bungees work?
is it necessary
Old 02-12-21, 01:12 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Tom L
how does the jig work with the bungees work?
is it necessary
Tom, that is the homebrew freemotion configuration. Production models are available from TACX, Elite and Inside Ride. By now there are probably others.
Old 02-12-21, 01:26 PM
Tom L

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Tom, that is the homebrew freemotion configuration. Production models are available from TACX, Elite and Inside Ride. By now there are probably others.
would seem that the bike would fall off the rollers before the bottom 2 frames were to move.
do you get any movement out of the two frames , must be pretty sticky with the two mating wood surfaces
can't really figure out the reason for that , unless you get some motion with it
Old 02-12-21, 01:29 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Tom L
would seem that the bike would fall off the rollers before the bottom 2 frames were to move.
do you get any movement out of the two frames , must be pretty sticky with the two mating wood surfaces
can't really figure out the reason for that , unless you get some motion with it
Tom, if you look at the sides of the upper cradle you'll note 4 axle points, there are rollerblade wheels mounted at all 8 of these points and they run in troughs on the lower platform. So, yes there is "free motion" controlled by the bungee cords.
Old 02-12-21, 01:30 PM
Tom L

now I see it, there are wheels between the frames, u tube was my friend , cool setup
Old 02-12-21, 01:33 PM
gkamieneski

Unlike most of the plans found on the internet, where the actual rollers are modified (drilled and wheels added), my implementation theoretically allows the use of different sets of rollers an leaves the Kreitlers unscathed. The downside as I see it is that the completed unit probably ends up an addition 1 or 2 inches off the floor.
Old 02-12-21, 02:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
are those horizontal wheels on the front roller to keep you from falling off?

funny you have it next to a workbench. that is where i had mine because, i fell off on more than one occasion. i don't roll anymore but sometimes i wish i still had them.
Old 02-12-21, 02:28 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by spelger
are those horizontal wheels on the front roller to keep you from falling off?

funny you have it next to a workbench. that is where i had mine because, i fell off on more than one occasion. i don't roll anymore but sometimes i wish i still had them.
Yes. They should be a gentle deterrent to wavering, but in practice I don't think I want to test them out. The workbench can actually be a hazard, but that's how i have ridden them for 35 years. The thought process is fall off to the left, I guess.

Best feature is the Neodymium Magnet Bar.
Old 02-14-21, 07:06 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
OP, thanks for the photo. I have my Kreitler rollers set up in my workshop. I built a barn like sliding door between the shop and the machine room. I set up next to the door jam and that sliding door, locked so it will not slide when I'm rollin. An opening just a bit more than shoulder width. I'm proficient enough to not ride off the rollers but I do still tap those edge points with a shoulder on occasion which signals me to center up. I still need the two correction points.

A friend recently asked if I wanted some old speakers he had. "Sure, why not." I immediately tore them apart to salvage the magnets. Turns out each had some sort of tweeter in the top with a pair of rectangular permanent magnets. Salvaged 6 of them and stuck them to a length of angle iron. Clamped that to the Kreitler frame with the magnets spaced 2mm (one thickness of cereal box) away from the roller. It works just fine, good added resistance. Too much, actually, so that assembly is on the shelf. Don't need it yet.

My shop is unheated which gets me some pretty cool ambient this time of year. No fan required.
Old 02-14-21, 08:26 AM
gkamieneski

First magnets I used I salvaged from discarded computer hard drives (there are typically 4 in each drive). Then I found the round 1in versions to be fairly inexpensive at Amazon and they are sold in groups of 10. I fit 8 I think on the angle iron attached to the frame ahead of the back roller. I cut oblong slots in the angle iron where it attaches to the rollers frame, so it can be moved to adjust the resistance.
Old 02-21-21, 05:43 PM
gkamieneski

Managed to disassemble the Killer Headwind. There are two(2) 1614ZZ sealed bearing cartridges. They were marked 1614Z but actually are the 1614ZZ as both sides are sealed. I am not sure if these will silence the squeaks and noise the fan makes as these units are notorious for wobbling around their axis, but for $6.50 I thought it worth a shot.

Old 08-02-21, 01:50 PM
Matheus0312

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Best feature is the Neodymium Magnet Bar.
Do you notice if the roller gets hot while using the magnetic resistance? My fear is that this will reduce thw lifetime of my tires.
Old 08-02-21, 01:54 PM
gkamieneski

Originally Posted by Matheus0312
Do you notice if the roller gets hot while using the magnetic resistance? My fear is that this will reduce thw lifetime of my tires.
In theory, yes heat will be generated however I have never noticed it to be a problem.