Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Will 4 inch tires work in soft sand, or do I need wider?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 03-18-21, 06:46 PM
Queequeg9800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning to do some riding in very soft sand on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I've been trying hard to find a bike with the widest tires possible (e.g. 4.8 inch). However I'm coming up empty despite lots of searching on eBay, Bikes Direct, LBS retailers, Craigslist, etc etc.

However there are bikes available that can take up to 4 inch tires. Anyone have experience riding four inchers in soft sand, and might be willing to share? I'm driving a long way to the coast, and won't have the opportunity to test in advance.

Would be grateful for advice. Thank you!
Old 03-18-21, 11:36 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
4 in tires are a challenge on soft sand, but doable if you have strong legs. 5 would be much better. If you cannot find any for sale, perhaps you could consider renting one. I know many of the tourist towns are full of rental places.
Old 03-21-21, 03:52 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Bikes: 2013 Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Queequeg9800
Planning to do some riding in very soft sand on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I've been trying hard to find a bike with the widest tires possible (e.g. 4.8 inch). However I'm coming up empty despite lots of searching on eBay, Bikes Direct, LBS retailers, Craigslist, etc etc.

However there are bikes available that can take up to 4 inch tires. Anyone have experience riding four inchers in soft sand, and might be willing to share? I'm driving a long way to the coast, and won't have the opportunity to test in advance.

Would be grateful for advice. Thank you!
My Specialized FUSE had 3" knobby tires and did perfectly on soft sand. It's all about the tire pressure. The softer the landscape--the softer the pressure. I drove my bike on the beach along the river, all soft sand, and even in the river to about half of the wheel in water. The deeper you get into the water however the bike will eventually start to float and you will come off the bike. Even a plus bike will do fine on soft sand if the air pressure is right.
Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 03-22-21, 07:56 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I'll second Ted's post. I ride a Pugsley with 3.8" tires ... the tires, tread & pressure are the most important thing on soft conditions (sand or snow). Invest in high thread count tires, making the sidewalls softer at lower pressures, that is more important than 4 vs 5 inch tires.

I run Fat B Nimble in the summer for mostly gravel roads, and I run Dillinger4 in the winter for snow and all the fun winter stuff. I'll run the Dillinger4 tires under 4psi (~210 lbs rider with Pug), and I can ride unbroken trails ... it's will wear me out quickly, but it's ridable.

Frau Toad has Jumbo Jim for her Pug, and if I was picking a tire to focus on sandy conditions, I'd go with the Jumbo Jim.

This article has good info on tires for sand:
https://fatbikeplanet.com/5-best-fat...d-riding-2020/
Old 03-22-21, 08:21 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It depends whether the sand is damp or dry.

It is easy to ride a fat bike on damp sand. No doubt, some of the previous posters are talking about damp sand. Obviously the salt water will quickly destroy the bike.

You wont successfully ride a bike on dry sand. For dry sand, you need at least 400 mm (16 inch) wide tires.
Old 03-22-21, 08:39 AM
flieger

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo, 2021 Fatback Corvus

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
4.8" schwalbe Jumbo Jims at 4.5-6.0 psi gets me over sand all day long.

Old 03-22-21, 10:18 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by alo
It depends whether the sand is damp or dry.

It is easy to ride a fat bike on damp sand. No doubt, some of the previous posters are talking about damp sand. Obviously the salt water will quickly destroy the bike.

You wont successfully ride a bike on dry sand. For dry sand, you need at least 400 mm (16 inch) wide tires.
Seth, on a cheap Dolomite with dry sand, wet sand AND saltwater. Search his YouTube video: " Fatbiking in the wake of a cruise ship" HILARIOUS!
Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 03-22-21, 04:06 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Giant uses a 4.5" tire on their Yukon Fat bike. That's probably best. Perhaps with a light rider like myself at 140 lbs a 4" tire would be good in dry sand too. Perhaps the same traction as a 170 lb rider with the 4.5" tire.

I tried riding my mountain bike with 2.125" tires in dry sand. Good luck with that, I got about 50' scratching and clawing my way every foot. I didn't realize those beach cruisers with 2" tires do so well in sand because they ride on the damp sand near the water. So I tried it. Sure enough, No problem with my 2.125" knobby tires.

If your riding along the shore, You might be fine with 4" or even narrower tires, Even the 2" beach cruisers use. Those Fat bikes with a 4.5" tire are probably crucial for desert dwellers where dry sand is every where. Even my comfort bike with 1.95" tires is fine for grass, soft gravel and stones (with the right gear selection) I'm likely to encounter where I live, But dry sand is a whole different story.
Old 03-22-21, 06:15 PM
trace

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't know about the relative merits of 4 vs 5", but just thought I'd mention I just ordered this bike, and it's currently in stock and has 4.9" tires.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...d-fatbikes.htm

I'm also hoping to ride in soft sand ...
Old 03-25-21, 10:30 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by trace
Don't know about the relative merits of 4 vs 5", but just thought I'd mention I just ordered this bike, and it's currently in stock and has 4.9" tires.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...d-fatbikes.htm

I'm also hoping to ride in soft sand ...
usable.

4.9 will definitely do. Good and fat! Experiment a lot with different lower tire pressures and find what works for you.