Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Switching handlebars

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Switching handlebars

Old 02-22-19, 09:37 PM
captronk

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Traverse,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switching handlebars

I want to swap out drop bars for a Suly Moloko or Jones H bar on a Trek 520. What can I expect from the ride performance? Will I lose power on long climbs because of the body's geometry change?
Old 02-24-19, 11:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Expectations?

Find out, for yourself, and report back..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 02-25-19, 05:30 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Hi
I have a Thorn Nomad. The bike came with straight bars and I replaced those about three years ago with the Jones H-Bar - and I have no regrets. In fact I wish I had done it sooner. A couple of things to be aware of:: 1) The H Bars are swept back so you will likely ride in a more up right position. As such you may have to change your seat fore-aft position. 2) Your existing cables and clamps (e.g., brakes) may or may not have to be replaced. I didn't have to replace any of my cables - including the ones for shifting my Rohloff hub. Again no regrets - the H bar is great.
Old 02-25-19, 06:20 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Drop bars put your hands farther forward, and both the Moloko and Jones bars are swept back. The reach of your bike is going to change dramatically. You could try putting a longer stem on to shrink that difference if you want, but it's still going to be noticeable.

Of course, if you thought the reach was too long in the first place, maybe you'll consider the change a good thing.
Likes For BlarneyHammer:
Old 02-25-19, 07:35 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by jkinner
Hi
I have a Thorn Nomad. The bike came with straight bars and I replaced those about three years ago with the Jones H-Bar - and I have no regrets. In fact I wish I had done it sooner. A couple of things to be aware of:: 1) The H Bars are swept back so you will likely ride in a more up right position. As such you may have to change your seat fore-aft position. 2) Your existing cables and clamps (e.g., brakes) may or may not have to be replaced. I didn't have to replace any of my cables - including the ones for shifting my Rohloff hub. Again no regrets - the H bar is great.
Hmm. I hated the "comfort bars " on my Thorn and tried Jones bars. I didn't like them and traded them for Crazy bars, which I like a lot better. As Blarney noted, switching to a Jones from a drop bar position, which will change your geometry quite a bit.
Old 02-26-19, 12:42 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Jones bars are way too wide and clumsy. Get a moustache bar or similar. Mine is a nice old comfort swept bar.
I can sit up or lean as far as I feel like it. Almost the whole 2 trips, I had grocery bags hanging there too. LOL
I have a mirror off an e-bike, works awesome. And 2 bells to hang the bags. LOL

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-26-19 at 12:46 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 06-18-20, 03:38 AM
Electrek

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 520 with Moloko bars

I have swapped my drop bars for Surly Moloko handle bars and am very happy with the result. It cost about 100.00 CAD to replace the shifters and brake levers and 150.00 CAD for the bars . The ride is more upright and very comfortable . No regrets. Another option would be to use Denham Koga bars that I have on my Salsa Mukluk 29er. I considered the Velo Orange Crazy bars but I thought the bullhorns were too long and are not angled in like the Molokos or the Denham bars.

Last edited by Electrek; 06-18-20 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 06-18-20, 07:52 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
I'm moving my Crazy Bar cockpit to a Cannondale T700 from more of a hybrid frame. the Hybrid had a longer top tube and maybe a steeper seat angle. I used a pretty short riser stem. It was pretty comfortable, but I feel like the very upright primary position was a factor in last years saddle sore suffer fest. The Cannondale I'm hoping to get a little more weight forward and lower. I have Jones bars on a one size to big Surly Big Dummy and didn't like them up high above the seat on a short stem. I've got them about level with the seat right now and would like to get them 10 cm farther forward. The Surly also has a longer effective top tube than my Cannondale. So what I guess my observations are that I dont like the sit up and beg position for long rides, but I do like haveing all of the real estate to shift my hands around on.
Here's a couple pictures just cause I actual took some the other day:

The seat that chewed me up was a Brooks C19 which has been fine on other bikes. This is just a place holder

Last edited by bark_eater; 06-18-20 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-18-20, 08:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Trekking bars & Magura rim brakes...

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-21-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-18-20, 09:25 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by captronk
Will I lose power on long climbs because of the body's geometry change?
If you are asking about the side-to-side movement and power generated by your upper body imparted onto the bars ....I would say yes, you will lose some power when standing on the pedals. The grip on my Jones Bar is not as wide as the drop bars, therefore, some loss of power.
I use the Jones Bar - loop style. I am not a powerful rider that swings my bike from side-to-side when going up hill. I just need a place to grip onto. For that, it is fine.

Last edited by boomhauer; 06-18-20 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-29-20, 03:47 AM
SafetyThird

Bikes: Trek 6000, Titanflex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not drops but I'm about to change my flat bars to Jones loop type bars this week. The one thing I'm probably going to have to change with it is my bar bag. Currently I have an Arkle bag I've had for years but that's going to be way out front on the Jones bar so considering going to some sort of bike packing style bag instead, though that's likely to be less convenient to access than the arkle.
Old 06-29-20, 05:36 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I will also chime in!
I converted to Crazy Bars before our ride across Canada. I absolutely love them!!
Old 06-29-20, 04:57 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts

I really like my Jones bars
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 06-29-20, 09:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Electrek
I have swapped my drop bars for Surly Moloko handle bars and am very happy with the result. It cost about 100.00 CAD to replace the shifters and brake levers and 150.00 CAD for the bars . The ride is more upright and very comfortable . No regrets. Another option would be to use Denham Koga bars that I have on my Salsa Mukluk 29er. I considered the Velo Orange Crazy bars but I thought the bullhorns were too long and are not angled in like the Molokos or the Denham bars.
elec, I'm in Canada also. It's been a while since I looked, but had no luck finding anywhere with the Denham bars, other than in Holland. Where did you source them?
thanks
Old 06-29-20, 10:07 PM
Electrek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kogas

I got them from the Netherlands. There was a bit of a wait but they arrived in two months and was $180.00 CAD all in . As always comfort is a subjective issue but for me they are worth the extra cash.
Old 06-29-20, 10:40 PM
djb

Thanks a lot. I was wondering if I had missed something.
Old 06-30-20, 07:35 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I like my Jones bars more than my Crazy bars. I found the bullhorns to be a bit useless. The horizontal section is too long and horizontal and the angled up bit is too short. I added extensions to the angled bit but they were still a long way away so weren't able to be used as an equivalent of the hoods on drop bars
Those Koga Denham bars look like a better design than the Crazy Bars. The bullhorns are shorter and angled nicely. I may have got them instead of the Jones if I had seen them first.
One issue with the Jones is handlebar bags. I use an Ortlieb, with the mounting cable around a large headed rivet spaced out with washers on the back of the front bar. But it's a long way away, hard to reach when riding. All of the bar bags I found designed for Jones bars didn't have a quick release mechanism, So a PITA when going in to shops and the like. Looks like the Kogas would work good with an Ortlieb Bag.
Old 06-30-20, 07:59 AM
Electrek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Molokos, Denhams and Road Togs

I have also put road togs on the end of the bullhorns on my Denham Koga bars. They give a locked in feeling when using the bullhorns. No need for these with the Moloko Bars as the cross piece on them is a great place to lock your thumbs in. I use a Surly bar bag on my Molokos . It is small but sufficient but not readily removeable.
Old 06-30-20, 08:15 AM
SafetyThird

Bikes: Trek 6000, Titanflex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm currently considering this bar pack to replace my Arkel bar bag. What I like about the restrap system is the magnetically removable extra bag, which I'd put wallet/phone/passport etc in and which detaches in seconds. The stuff sack detaches quickly as well due to the holder design. Watch the video to see it all in action.

https://restrap.com/collections/bar-.../bar-bag-large
Old 07-01-20, 06:03 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I've been a big fan of the Jones Loop Bars on my ECR.

Old 07-02-20, 10:33 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by captronk
I want to swap out drop bars for a Suly Moloko or Jones H bar on a Trek 520. What can I expect from the ride performance? Will I lose power on long climbs because of the body's geometry change?
I think drop-bar is a bit more efficient for hard pedaling. One can adapt to flat bars but I think with steeper climbs there's more chance of needing to ride off-saddle.
Old 07-03-20, 05:32 AM
djb

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I think drop-bar is a bit more efficient for hard pedaling. One can adapt to flat bars but I think with steeper climbs there's more chance of needing to ride off-saddle.
I've thought long and hard about drops vs whatever, and the main reason I stick with drops is that for me drops are more comfortable over all, specifically the different hand positions that I use all the time.
I'd really like to try those Denham bars but a bit pricey for me to get them for an experiment, for now anyway, and especially for the predominantly road trips I do.
Way more rough and slow roads could change that view.

as for climbing, I've done tons of climbing trips in mountains, and still find dropbars to be very efficient--- but again, slow rough roads would be different where wider bars would be a plus.
Old 07-03-20, 06:12 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I never get out of the saddle loaded, that's what gears are for!
Old 07-03-20, 06:16 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
I never get out of the saddle loaded, that's what gears are for!
indeed
loaded ill do it once in a blue moon for a few seconds but that's it.
lightly loaded maybe sometimes, nice muscle changeup
Old 07-04-20, 11:19 AM
Senson

Bikes: 18 Cervelo R3, 19 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
From My experience, swapping drop bar to flat bar dramatically changed geometry of my Cross Check so things to consider. I needed to swap my stem from 90mm to 110mm and raised them about 20mm. your will be other way around. it was almost like "I should've bought frame one size bigger" but again I ride mostly rode bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.