Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me understand how stem length affects steering

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please help me understand how stem length affects steering

Old 06-28-21, 01:09 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
The problem with posting racing technique is it's not relevant to those who want to ride safely on city streets. The winding mountain roads that I rode frequently had a sport bike in the ditch as a result of a local fool who thought the road was a groomed race track.

I took the MSF Basic Rider Course so I could legally ride in Colorado. I had never ridden a motorcycle before taking the course. I passed with no problem, but had to apply what was taught to do it. https://bdmtc.com/msf-basic-ridercourse-brc/

One thing this course is not is a physics lesson. I had that as part of my mechanical engineering degree. Statements that make people think that a motorcycle or bicycle can be put into a turn and keep turning by itself are counter productive because the are false. I read this many times. At normal speeds, you have to push on the bars and keep pushing until you want to bike to quit turning. The amount of pressure required certainly varies with speed. Only the right hand is needed for a right turn or the left hand for a left turn. Whether you're counter steering or not is irrelevant.
One of the earliest trips I made on my new motorcycle was from Highlands Ranch, CO to Idaho Springs, mainly through the twisting mountain roads that start just west of Chatfield Reservoir. I had no trouble negotiating these roads, using what I was taught, but it helped to have ridden all of the route on a bicycle, so the roads were not unfamiliar to me. I was surprised how much effort was required to make all of the turns and decided to take the easy way home on the interstate.
Old 06-28-21, 02:00 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm getting this deja vu feeling all of a sudden.
Old 06-28-21, 02:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Statements that make people think that a motorcycle or bicycle can be put into a turn and keep turning by itself are counter productive because the are false.
Any cyclist with good handling skills can initiate and hold a turn without their hand on the bars.

Only the right hand is needed for a right turn or the left hand for a left turn.
Sure, but you can also make a right turn with only you left hand and a left turn with only your right hand.
Old 06-28-21, 02:57 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Smart cyclists keep their hands on the bars in a turn, so they can precisely control the turn radius. Using the right hand for right turns and left hand for left turns avoids confusion. Only an idiot would train beginners to turn right by pulling with the left hand.
Old 06-28-21, 03:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Smart cyclists keep their hands on the bars in a turn, so they can precisely control the turn radius.
Yes they do. But, that doesn't change the fact that your previous statement was false.
Statements that make people think that a motorcycle or bicycle can be put into a turn and keep turning by itself are counter productive because the are false.
Old 06-28-21, 06:12 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
This thread was no-handed, counter steered off a cliff.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 06-28-21, 06:47 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
This thread was no-handed, counter steered off a cliff.

I've only been here for a month or so but I'm starting to get the picture.
Likes For VicBC_Biker: