Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Get the stink out!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Get the stink out!

Old 08-01-21, 11:04 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Get the stink out!

What detergent have you found that gets the sweat stink out? Seems like most of my cycling gear, no matter how often I wash them, still have a slight stank. Starting to bleed over into my regular clothes also.
Old 08-01-21, 11:21 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Persil works for me.
Old 08-01-21, 11:27 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
Are you letting them dry out completely before going into a hamper? I've noticed polyester and other man made fibers seem to absorb "funk" if they stay damp & dark, but do much better if allowed to dry out. I'm a real sweater and live in high humidity & have really wet cycling clothes after a ride. My 2¢
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 08-01-21, 11:35 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Are you letting them dry out completely before going into a hamper? I've noticed polyester and other man made fibers seem to absorb "funk" if they stay damp & dark, but do much better if allowed to dry out. I'm a real sweater and live in high humidity & have really wet cycling clothes after a ride. My 2¢
Interesting. Had not thought of that. Yes, I usually just throw my sweaty gear right into the hamper. I sweat like a crazy person so my stuff is soaking wet after a ride. I'll give this a try.
Old 08-01-21, 11:36 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by freeranger
Persil works for me.
I almost bought some of that today but got Tide Heavy Duty instead. If the Tide doesn't work I'll try Persil. Thanks.
Old 08-01-21, 11:43 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
What detergent have you found that gets the sweat stink out? Seems like most of my cycling gear, no matter how often I wash them, still have a slight stank. Starting to bleed over into my regular clothes also.
Some "nylons" retain odor even after washing. I had some hiking tops where as soon as I put it on and it started to heat up, released it odors immediately. Then Patagonia came up with some material that did not retain odors. Made all the difference on a six day ski trip pulling sleds in Yellowstone.
Likes For kahn:
Old 08-01-21, 11:47 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Assos makes a cycling clothing detergent that just plain works. Also, consider changing up your body soap periodically to prevent colonizing yourself with certain organisms. Anti-bacterial body wash is very good for this. You’re probably already using it. If so, change brands every 60-90 days for better results.
Old 08-01-21, 11:56 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Interesting. Had not thought of that. Yes, I usually just throw my sweaty gear right into the hamper. I sweat like a crazy person so my stuff is soaking wet after a ride. I'll give this a try.
This is very likely the culprit. I actually let everything hang dry after a sweaty ride before going into the laundry pile.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-01-21, 12:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Oxy works for me. I wash everything immediately after each ride. If you let sweaty clothes ferment it will be much harder to get them clean.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-01-21, 12:41 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
vinegar or "unstoppables" and regular detergent works for me

gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 08-01-21, 08:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
https://biokleenhome.com/laundry-powder-citrus-5

Been using the stuff for years works great on all my stank gear just wash in cold water and everything smells just fine.
Old 08-01-21, 08:43 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I'm old school and the method still works very well without adding extra perfumy odors to your cycling duds. 20 Mule Team Borax! Yep, old fashioned Borax is a great odor killer. In my front-loader I sprinkle in enough to fill the palm of my hand without running off. You don't need a lot. Add that and your regular detergent and boom, no odor.

+1 for letting your clothes either air dry before you load them, or, rinse them in cold water and wring them out a couple of times before they go into the washer. All that wet sweat going in the washer...your clothes are bathing in it.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 08-01-21, 09:00 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
vinegar or "unstoppables" and regular detergent works for me

gm
I add vinegar to the fabric softener tray. Works great.
Old 08-01-21, 10:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The toughest odor to remove is mildew. So unless I wash the sweaty stuff immediately when I get home, I always hang my sweaty gear to dry over the tub -- I have one of those travel clotheslines, stretched between the showerhead and towel rack. There's a fan on the shelf next to the tub (plugged into a GFCI outlet for safety), and I turn on the vent fan. Nothing goes into the laundry basket until it's dry.

Same with my running and cycling shoes. After a run or ride I put the shoes on top of a recirculating air HEPA filter to dry. It's a fairly large unit, enough to keep the dust down in a room, with a front facing intake fan and top facing exhaust fan. I put the shoes on top over the exhaust fan. They never get stinky. I use that trick to dry out my headlights, cameras, etc., after a rainy ride too.

After that I mostly hand wash my cycling and running clothing. I vary my liquid detergents a bit, but usually get Tide or Gain -- sometimes the ultra-whatever, sometimes the stuff that's free of dyes and softeners. Both have good enzymes that are essential to getting sweaty kit clean and stink-free. I soak the clothing in a 5-gallon bucket or the tub, when there's too much for the bucket, for about 20-30 minutes. That gives the enzymes time to work. Swish it around the bucket or tub, dump, rinse, hang to dry, done.

Seems like more work than machine washing, but I got into that habit three years ago after I was hit by a car, breaking and dislocating my shoulder. Some of the exercises my ortho doc and physical therapy clinic recommended were identical to the action of hand washing clothing in a bucket or the tub. Why not combine the two? So I'm still doing that. Saves money over the laundromat, my clothes last longer, and my shoulder healed as well as could be expected without surgery.

There are all kinds of homebrew recipes for de-stinking clothes with sweat funk or mildew. Some swear by white vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide, or baking soda, or hanging outdoors in the breeze and sun for a few days. It's easier to avoid it by drying sweaty clothes immediately after a ride or run.
Old 08-01-21, 10:35 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
+1 on vinegar, though I add it to the soak cycle, once the tub has filled.
Old 08-01-21, 11:48 PM
rbevansjr

Bikes: 2021 Domane SL5, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Win Detergent. Buy it on Amazon. I use it on all my workout, cycling and any clothes where I sweat a lot. Before Win I used Tide and the funk would linger in the clothes and become more pronounced once you started sweating during a workout. Now it’s all gone, like a miracle cure.
Old 08-01-21, 11:52 PM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
i have had success with tomato juice soaking to remove skunk spray
Old 08-02-21, 02:11 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I generally shower before putting on my kit, and the good stuff I often rinse while showering after a ride. If I don't, I put it in a shallow bin which I just use as a specific hamper for cycling / triathlon kit. Generally I try to wash it as soon as feasible.

​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 08-02-21, 04:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Assuming you shower after getting so sweaty, at least rinse the clothes by starting your shower with them on. That’s a little trick those of us who tour often pull. Just did it again Friday after a very sweaty 60 mile to a campground. Since I wasn’t doing wash, I also used soap to clean them while showering then hung them to dry.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-02-21, 05:48 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Use vinegar and less detergent, and double rinse.

The detergent thing is counter intuitive, but basically, detergent sticks to synthetic fibers more, trapping in odors. The vinegar and double rinse helps remove the excess detergent.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-02-21, 06:29 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I add vinegar to the fabric softener tray. Works great.
Yep, for the modern fabrics just use a soap that leaves no residue, vinegar and NO fabric softener. I use Woolite for all my laundry.
Old 08-02-21, 06:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
One trick I learned when I had to keep a white medical uniform clean was to wash everything in cold water. Hot water actually cooks proteins and oils and makes them harder for the detergent action to remove. This seemed to work for all visible body fluids, I don't see why it wouldn't work for sweat as well. All I know is I'll leave sweaty stuff around for days before I get around to washing it, and I have no problems, my clothes smell fine when they come out of the dryer. And I'm talking soaking wet, 100 miles in 90 degrees weather sweaty.

I realize this is totally counter-intuitive, but try it before you start listing reasons why it can't be right.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-02-21, 06:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
I sweat like a crazy person so my stuff is soaking wet after a ride. I'll give this a try.
yeah me too & that's what I do. I also have a spray bottle that I put liquid detergent in & I will sometimes spray the hotspots like shirt underarms, etc. for work clothes I always try to wear a t-shirt because they are expendable. I remember 1 shirt was so bad but I liked it a lot, I had to treat the underarms w/ stain remover & wash it repeatedly before it was safe to wear again. also, for a while I was washing bike, gym & grungy 2nd construction job work clothes separately from my office works clothes. if your machine has a 2nd rinse option you might try that. but if something still has an odor after 1 washing try washing it 2 or 3 times before wearing it & see if that helps. I won't get into personal hygiene but obviously the cleaner our body is the cleaner our sweat will be. but what we eat has some effect. I remember I had to photo a wedding & I was on a no carb diet & I ate a can of tuna for breakfast. since I sweat so much, in that situation, I carried a small washcloth to wipe my face occasionally while I worked. during the wedding, I noticed it smelling like fish! eek!
Old 08-02-21, 06:59 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Fresh water soak and rinse immediately after a ride. Then hang on a towel rack over the a/c vent. Dry next morning, no stink. Use detergent once a week or so.
Old 08-02-21, 09:24 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yeah me too & that's what I do. I also have a spray bottle that I put liquid detergent in & I will sometimes spray the hotspots like shirt underarms, etc. for work clothes I always try to wear a t-shirt because they are expendable. I remember 1 shirt was so bad but I liked it a lot, I had to treat the underarms w/ stain remover & wash it repeatedly before it was safe to wear again. also, for a while I was washing bike, gym & grungy 2nd construction job work clothes separately from my office works clothes. if your machine has a 2nd rinse option you might try that. but if something still has an odor after 1 washing try washing it 2 or 3 times before wearing it & see if that helps. I won't get into personal hygiene but obviously the cleaner our body is the cleaner our sweat will be. but what we eat has some effect. I remember I had to photo a wedding & I was on a no carb diet & I ate a can of tuna for breakfast. since I sweat so much, in that situation, I carried a small washcloth to wipe my face occasionally while I worked. during the wedding, I noticed it smelling like fish! eek!
I have noticed that my sweat stink from a hard bike ride is totally different that the stink from just working in the yard and regular sweat. Man I smell terrible after hard exercise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.