Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Enjoying shorter rides....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Enjoying shorter rides....

Old 08-03-21, 09:06 AM
Jsosborn

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 SL; Specialized Creo SL EVO Carbon; Brompton M6L; Rad Runner 5, Cannondale Quick Neo, Giant beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Yup, I should have noted that I switched to a 250w pedal assist bike last year. It really upped my mileage.
Old 08-03-21, 09:51 AM
encode2

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Escape 2.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in my 70's and last Friday picked up a new escape2. Looking forward to some fitness rides.

Fred
Old 08-06-21, 09:10 AM
bemoore

Bikes: Trek 1000C, Raleigh M50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had a hard time eeking out time for rides this year. In the past month, though, I'm finding that 10ish mile rides work for me. I can get one in after work, or on a weekend, and not have a ride be the only thing I do for the day.
Likes For bemoore:
Old 08-06-21, 05:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Years ago I rode lots of centuries, mostly club rides, and had 1000 mile months. My work took a lot out of me but for the last 20 years I've always done 5 or 6k miles per year on the road bike. By the time I retired I was slower than ever. Thought I might get back to riding more hours but apparently it's harder than I thought it was going to be. Still, I have made some gains and people I ride with have told me they can tell.

I'm 67, a little overweight, and have other physical limitations but still do at least 55-60 on Saturdays with faster people and there is always climbing. Sunday I usually ride alone 2 or 3 hours, road or mtb. Tuesday is a group ride but they go my speed, usually 40+ miles. Wednesday alone again for 3 hours, road or mtb.

The mileage thing is relative. 20 miles of flat spinning is just a warm up, or a recovery. 20 miles of hammering the hills with young skinny people is very different.

I'll probably not do centuries anymore, haven't in a couple years. I did 80 miles with 7700 feet of climbing in April, though. Felt good, just wanted it to be done.
I hope I can do a moderately difficult 50 or 60 for some years to come. A few friends have bought e-bikes but I'm not there yet.
Old 08-07-21, 08:38 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Years ago I rode lots of centuries, mostly club rides, and had 1000 mile months. My work took a lot out of me but for the last 20 years I've always done 5 or 6k miles per year on the road bike. By the time I retired I was slower than ever. Thought I might get back to riding more hours but apparently it's harder than I thought it was going to be. Still, I have made some gains and people I ride with have told me they can tell.

I'm 67, a little overweight, and have other physical limitations but still do at least 55-60 on Saturdays with faster people and there is always climbing. Sunday I usually ride alone 2 or 3 hours, road or mtb. Tuesday is a group ride but they go my speed, usually 40+ miles. Wednesday alone again for 3 hours, road or mtb.

The mileage thing is relative. 20 miles of flat spinning is just a warm up, or a recovery. 20 miles of hammering the hills with young skinny people is very different.

I'll probably not do centuries anymore, haven't in a couple years. I did 80 miles with 7700 feet of climbing in April, though. Felt good, just wanted it to be done.
I hope I can do a moderately difficult 50 or 60 for some years to come. A few friends have bought e-bikes but I'm not there yet.
Since you are in the LA area, I assume you have done the Tour de Palm Springs Century ride. That is a really fun century. Did it twice when I lived in San Diego before moving back to Florida.
Old 08-07-21, 02:46 PM
big john

Originally Posted by pgjackson
Since you are in the LA area, I assume you have done the Tour de Palm Springs Century ride. That is a really fun century. Did it twice when I lived in San Diego before moving back to Florida.
Nope, never did that one but friends have and said it was fun. I've done Solvang, The Lighthouse, Cool Breeze, Wildflower, Breathless Agony, Mulholland Challenge, Heartbreak Hundred, Tour de Turkey (defunct), Cruisin' the Conejo, and others I can't think of right now. Some of them multiple times.
Old 08-07-21, 05:49 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
One way to keep from getting yourself down about riding YOUR rides at your pace, is to avoid reading the postings on Strava, BF and sites where "other riders" post (and often boast) about the distance, speed, and/or difficulty of THEIR rides.

You might also consider not setting any "requirements" or specific metrics for you to accomplish before you can be satisfied with your ride.
Good advice. I think it's OK to compare yourself to others, but don't fixate on it. I like to compare myself to myself from about two weeks ago. An objective comparison may be difficult since terrain and weather and the bike I rode might be drastically different. So I often use the last 5 minutes of each ride to relax, spin it in, and summarize the ride (just in my head, I don't write this stuff down in a journal) and note where I felt good, and where I did not feel good. For example, I rode this afternoon on my touring/commuter (we had morning rain and the bike has fenders). I took a route that included a section of rollers that I probably ride about once a week. And this is the first ride this year that I felt good on those rollers.

And short rides are about all I do these days. Yesterday I rode my longest ride in about 7 years and it was 40 miles. Weekday rides are usually 15-20 miles and weekend 20-35 miles.

Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 08-07-21 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-07-21, 07:23 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
I have a 15 mile, local, safe route. Sometimes it’s a casual ride, other times I race against the clock.
Old 08-08-21, 08:37 AM
encode2

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Escape 2.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took my bike out for a ride yesterday found out that I'm out of shape. Only did 10 miles but looking forward to increasing that over a little time.
Old 08-08-21, 01:51 PM
big john

Originally Posted by encode2
Took my bike out for a ride yesterday found out that I'm out of shape.
That happens to me, too, when I take my bike for a ride.
Old 08-08-21, 07:47 PM
Kanon25

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I got into cycling in 2010 at age 40 after a knee surgery caused by running. Back then I wouldn't get on the bike for anything less than 20 miles and would often go on 40+ mile rides every Saturday morning. Then I moved and stopped cycling for 5-6 years and just now got back into it. Where I live now there aren't many great routes or bike lanes, however there is a really nice 10 mile out and back loop (5 each way) right from my driveway. When I was doing the longer rides I really had to prepare and set aside 2-3+ hours, but now at age 51 with my new 10 mile loop it is easy to just hop on the bike after work or get in a quick ride on Saturday morning. I find that I am more motivated now for a 40 minute ride than I used to be for the longer ones. The thought of doing a 20+ mile ride just doesn't appeal to me any more. Anyone else experience this?
With those you need variety of scenery for the motivation.