Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for your legs to wake up?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-16-21, 04:56 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts

To the folks in this subforum, just wondering if you have a dial-in period with your legs every time you get on the bike.

I always feel like I need 5 to 8 miles before my legs are fully awake and ready to pedal. Those first 20-40 minutes are just misery most of the time...
Old 06-16-21, 05:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I'm only doing short rides less than 5 to 10 miles about 5 days a week. My first down and up hill is right out the door. It takes about from my living room to the end of the driveway for my legs to wake up. When I hit that first little hill its a BUGGER!!! All awake from then on...
Old 06-16-21, 08:13 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
8-10 for me.
Old 06-17-21, 05:29 AM
Dennis609

Bikes: '02 Surly Cross Check, '88 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Out of curiosity, wondering how old you guys is? It takes me longer to warm up now, more than it did 15 years ago. 2 mile back then, 7 to 8 now.

But 58 years old, in the old fart category now.
I'm a few years behind you, but my friends/co-workers say the label still fits.

For me: I try to stretch a little before the ride, which helps (after about the first two miles or so, I'm as inefficient or efficient as I'm going to be on that ride.) Without stretching, double that.
Likes For Dennis609:
Old 06-17-21, 07:24 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
It depends, but usually about 2-3 miles for me.
Old 06-17-21, 07:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Out of curiosity, wondering how old you guys is? It takes me longer to warm up now, more than it did 15 years ago. 2 mile back then, 7 to 8 now.

But 58 years old, in the old fart category now.
I'm 50, but still get warmed up after about 2 or 3 miles. Maybe 4.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-17-21, 10:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
I know not of this “warming up” of which you speak. I put my foot on the pedal and can go to a full sprint if needed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-17-21, 01:54 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I've always found that, whether with cycling or running, the legs feel best and at their strongest about a half hour into the exercise. Blood flow's better, oxygenation's better, whatever modest tightness might have existed has disappeared. That translates to ~5-6 miles on a bike, for me.
Old 06-17-21, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I know not of this “warming up” of which you speak. I put my foot on the pedal and can go to a full sprint if needed.
I prefer to warm up for a half a mile or so first.

10 miles? That would be up, or over the ridge and out of town (in three directions)!
Old 06-17-21, 05:49 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
i need at least 5 miles....then i can go bawls out.
Old 06-18-21, 12:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
I’m 51, but have always been a slow starter. I need about 20 minutes to warm up, regardless of intensity. And it’s bad; it’s uncomfortable and fills me with doubt about my ability. The harder I have to go early, the worse I feel. I think it’s why I’m a bad racer; I have anxiety when others have adrenaline.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-18-21, 03:39 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
To the folks in this subforum, just wondering if you have a dial-in period with your legs every time you get on the bike.

I always feel like I need 5 to 8 miles before my legs are fully awake and ready to pedal. Those first 20-40 minutes are just misery most of the time...
I agree. Same with me. I always look to get to 7 miles , then I feel that they begin to loosen off and work properly.
Likes For Gerry221:
Old 06-18-21, 07:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
I remember reading something about metabolism & the sensation of a second wind, whereby one starts with a certain oxygen level in their bloodstream, strains their muscles thereby reducing the oxygen level a little, then increased respiration works to increase the oxygen level back up, perhaps surpassing the initial starting level. & our brains & body can sense this increase in oxygen & we feel better

on a former bike commute, I started with about 2 miles of easy downhill & level pedaling, then hit a large steep hill requiring out of the saddle pedaling for a few minutes. I remember liking it & feeling like that hill helped me energize somehow, enabling me to power up the next long grade in traffic
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-18-21, 07:27 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I prefer to warm up for a half a mile or so first.

10 miles? That would be up, or over the ridge and out of town (in three directions)!
Perhaps my lack of needing a warm up comes from years of commuting. If I were to take it easy for some of the mileages suggested here, I would be late to work and it would take a couple of hours to get there.

I did ride with a guy long ago who had an extremely long warm up period. For the first 10 miles he was always threatening to turn around. For the second 10, he was still considering it but was say something along the lines of “I’m not feeling it but I guess I’ll just keep going”. At 30 miles, he’d start saying “I’m feeling a little better but….” By the time we’d reached 75 miles, the son of a dog was sprinting for signs like he was going to win money. I wanted to go Team Cinzano on him!
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-18-21 at 07:38 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-18-21, 07:47 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sometimes my legs want to complain between 2 or 3 miles into a ride, but after that they understand what's going on and get to work.
Old 06-18-21, 07:48 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by chaadster
I’m 51, but have always been a slow starter. I need about 20 minutes to warm up, regardless of intensity. And it’s bad; it’s uncomfortable and fills me with doubt about my ability. The harder I have to go early, the worse I feel. I think it’s why I’m a bad racer; I have anxiety when others have adrenaline.
Maybe it's just us old farts who are like that. What I wouldn't give to have my 20 year old body again.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-18-21, 03:41 PM
cyccommute 

Plan ahead. I've never been a last minute man. Especially on a ride that last 2 hours….Not to mention, the warm up period is to get one beyond the stiff feeling of first getting on a bike.
I don’t need to “plan ahead” because I don’t feel any “stiff feeling” when I get on a bike, even at sub-freezing temperatures. “Going slow” for X number of miles if of no benefit to me at anytime of year. In fact, being able to transition immediately to hard effort helps at those sub-freezing temperatures. If I go slow, I’m just going to get cold.

Perhaps I’m just different from you and others.

Old 06-18-21, 10:07 PM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
At 77 years young, it takes 8-10 miles and a hill to open my lungs, then I’m good to go …
JD
Likes For jim dandy:
Old 06-18-21, 11:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Depends on the length of the ride. There's warmed up for a short hard effort, then there's achieving a steady state for an all day effort. The former is maybe five miles, while the latter may take forty.

On a really long brevet, 1000k or longer, when the distance behind is as impossibly far as the distance ahead, riding the bike is life - it's all there is. Maybe that's not woken legs, but it feels like something physiological. That the legs work at all seems magical, but they just do. I'm sure it's not right, but at that point i think of my legs as being like my heart - the'll just go on forever. It's pretty cool when that happens.

Last edited by downtube42; 06-18-21 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-19-21, 12:43 PM
saddlesniffer

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
51 yrs young here. It takes me about 4-5 miles for my legs to wake up. Then after that I am good to go. Today I did about 45 miles and felt pretty good during the ride. But now both my thighs are giving me the bird. It will be a sore for the rest of the day. Will take tomorrow off or just go on a short 5-6 mile ride.
Old 06-20-21, 09:26 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
Less than a mile. That's how far it is to get out of my housing tract and down the road to the main roadway. I might go slow for longer if there's a headwind when I get out to the main roadway so I don't tie-up from pushing into that wind.
Old 06-21-21, 09:48 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
A half hour to 40 minutes before my legs and lungs come to an agreement and start working together. Once that happens I can enjoy the ride for a few hours.
Old 08-05-21, 10:41 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I start slow and easy. Then I slowly ramp up to pedaling harder. After 5 miles I'm loosened up pretty well. However as more miles go by I get faster. When I played league basketball it was much the same thing. Easy warm up and lay ups then the game would start and it would take about 5 minutes of sprinting to get the legs muscles hot. Once the legs are hot it is much harder to hurt your muscle and tendons. I am very wary of doing too much from a cold start. Once the legs are hot you can really push hard without hurting yourself.
Old 08-08-21, 05:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,389 Times in 2,734 Posts
We were talking about this after the club ride yesterday. It seems to take me about 20 miles before I feel "right" and my HR settles down. I think it's more lungs than legs. It's not a problem if the ride starts out slowly. Some other 70+ guys related similar. This has become more noticeable as I've aged. It sucks but at least I can still ride w/o a motor.
Old 08-08-21, 10:18 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
We were talking about this after the club ride yesterday. It seems to take me about 20 miles before I feel "right" and my HR settles down. I think it's more lungs than legs. It's not a problem if the ride starts out slowly. Some other 70+ guys related similar. This has become more noticeable as I've aged. It sucks but at least I can still ride w/o a motor.
Recently bought my wife a RAD step thru e bike. She is now able to keep up with me and goes on my 20 mile rides regularly now. She hasn't been able to do that in many a year. I notice e bikes everywhere. There are a lot of stealth e bikes also. Expensive bikes with no visible batteries and riders in riding suits going so fast that they could be in the peloton at the Tour de France. Even better are the upright fat tire e bike crowd, mom and dad in regular street clothing catching the fast guys on the bike trail. As long as I can motivate a bike to go 20 to 30 miles I'm holding off on an e bike for me. I'm with you on that.
Likes For tallbikeman: