Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal Power Meter real world user

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 01:55 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I have long thought of getting a power meter. I am serious rider but older at 60. I don't race but would be cool to have the data and I am a data junkie. My complaint with power meters and cranks is winter training inside on different bike and I have two road bikes. I am totally a road rider I avoid gravel and try to stay on smooth stuff even avoid roads just chipped that are rideable. That is why I want a pedal power meter system. The next gripe is I like Shimano SPD-SL cleats so in past avoided Favero Assioma and other systems. Well now of course they have both in Garmin xc200 and the FA pedals with Shimano cleat computability.

My question is which one to get and if anyone using them now? I don't mind the wider Q-factor I use pedal extenders so not a problem. I currently have Shimano 105 pedals they are 4 years old so not new but work fine. What would anyone recommend. I could simply get the or the Garmin xc200 or Favero A but that only have the spindle and swapped them out. Even though my 105's are not r7000 I still think they would work, My thought though maybe just buy new pedals I don't how many miles 105 go but mine have well over 25000 miles on them. The Garmin would be a whole new package and more money.

I sure hope to get some feedback.
Old 08-26-21, 02:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have Vector 2s. They're always worked well for me. My older ones need a torque wrench, the newer ones don't, once they're on they just work. Everybody I've heard of with with Assiomas day they just work reliably too.

I would personally get whichever one was cheaper, more convenient, or whatever, and be happy. Seems like they both work well.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-26-21, 03:45 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I have long thought of getting a power meter. I am serious rider but older at 60. I don't race but would be cool to have the data and I am a data junkie. My complaint with power meters and cranks is winter training inside on different bike and I have two road bikes. I am totally a road rider I avoid gravel and try to stay on smooth stuff even avoid roads just chipped that are rideable. That is why I want a pedal power meter system. The next gripe is I like Shimano SPD-SL cleats so in past avoided Favero Assioma and other systems. Well now of course they have both in Garmin xc200 and the FA pedals with Shimano cleat computability.

My question is which one to get and if anyone using them now? I don't mind the wider Q-factor I use pedal extenders so not a problem. I currently have Shimano 105 pedals they are 4 years old so not new but work fine. What would anyone recommend. I could simply get the or the Garmin xc200 or Favero A but that only have the spindle and swapped them out. Even though my 105's are not r7000 I still think they would work, My thought though maybe just buy new pedals I don't how many miles 105 go but mine have well over 25000 miles on them. The Garmin would be a whole new package and more money.

I sure hope to get some feedback.
why do you think your older— what? PD5800 series?— would work with the Assioma Duo-Shi? Favero does not spec compatibility with that model, and it would be a bummer to buy in and then have issues.

The alternative you mention, Garmin xc200 SPD I don’t understand the rationale there. You like SPD SL but are willing to move to SPD and unwilling to go with anothe 3-bolt, and further are willing to spend hundreds of dollars more on just pedals alone to do so? I mean, you could get both new Ultegra SPD SL pedals and the Duo Shi power spondles for less than dual sided xc200 and only like $40 more than single sided Xc200.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-26-21, 04:09 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
why do you think your older— what? PD5800 series?— would work with the Assioma Duo-Shi? Favero does not spec compatibility with that model, and it would be a bummer to buy in and then have issues.

The alternative you mention, Garmin xc200 SPD I don’t understand the rationale there. You like SPD SL but are willing to move to SPD and unwilling to go with anothe 3-bolt, and further are willing to spend hundreds of dollars more on just pedals alone to do so? I mean, you could get both new Ultegra SPD SL pedals and the Duo Shi power spondles for less than dual sided xc200 and only like $40 more than single sided Xc200.
i type to fast. I meant that I would get the Garmin xc200 that use the Shimano SPD-SL 3 bolt. The garmin is by far the most expensive but I like Garmin they have been good me in the past with things. I use them for computers exclusively.. I appreciate the feedback that is what I need some good common sense.
Old 08-26-21, 04:13 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
I've been running Assioma Duos for years now without a single issue. I regularly swap them between bikes at least once a week. Great powermeter pedals. While I can't say for certain how accurate they are, on the few times I've run them alongside my Tacx NEO smart trainer, both have read within a couple of watts of each other.

Originally Posted by chaadster
I mean, you could get both new Ultegra SPD SL pedals and the Duo Shi power spindles for less than dual sided xc200 and only like $40 more than single sided Xc200.
^ If you're planning on sticking with SPD-SL then I'd do that. It's the cheapest option (as long as you are happy with the added Q factor).
Old 08-26-21, 07:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
i type to fast. I meant that I would get the Garmin xc200 that use the Shimano SPD-SL 3 bolt.
Ah, the Rally RS200…that makes sense now! Still, I’d go with Favero Assioma, save the money, and feel more secure with Assioma, but then I’ve been running Assioma Duo since ‘17 or ‘18, and have been quite happy them whereas my Garmin experience with their older head units was traumatizing enough that it’ll take quite a bit to bring me back in the fold.
Old 08-27-21, 03:40 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
The Rallys are more expensive but either will probably be okay.

Here's what I tell everyone once they get their very first power meter:

Just ride normally for a couple of weeks on your usual rides. Record every ride but for now keep your usual training log (you do keep a regular training log, right?). Record your RPE for every ride -- that will help you figure out how it feels when you're going hard(er) and when you're going easier. Learn the button functions so you don't have to fumble or look down while you should be watching the road. Make sure you know how to zero the torque. Download every ride but don't obsess about the data yet. Sprint if you want (everyone does). Try and set a max if you want (everyone does). Look at the pretty graphs if you want (everyone does). But don't change anything -- you don't yet know enough to change. You're just trying to get some baseline data so you'll be able to retrospectively evaluate your past rides. If you start changing what you were doing before you got a PM, you won't be able to compare with your (years of) old data.
Old 08-27-21, 06:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I would get the single-sided RS100. Having used both single and doubled sided power meters I haven’t found any real world advantage in double-sided meters. But if you don’t care about the cost then double-sided is nice to have if only to check that both sides are reading consistently. But I very much doubt that you will make any practical use of the extra data they provide. Single sided is fine for pacing to power targets and comparing average power between rides etc. Just something to think about.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-27-21, 09:04 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I have the Favero Uno's really for the same reasons as you mentioned; I'm a data nerd and do a lot of indoor structured training. They've honestly been flawless and the issues I've had are related to Zwift, SufferFest programs. I swap these between the bikes weekly since I keep one the trainer and another for outside rides. With any powermeter, perform a calibration after swapping and before heading out.

Back when I was shopping for the Assiomas, I was looking at the Garmin Vectors however they had a long list of bad reviews related to the battery doors. I'm sure it's solved now and the Rally pedals wouldn't have the same problems. It just put me off and am a bit wary on Garmin pedals.