Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Champlain Islands Tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Champlain Islands Tour

Old 08-29-21, 04:51 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Champlain Islands Tour

Just got back from a short credit card tour of the islands in the North end of Lake Champlain. My sister and I had planned (2 years ago) to ride to Montreal, but, as you may have noticed, things happened. Plan B was a loop up from Burlington, VT. to bounce off the Canadian border. She flew in from Montana and rented a bike from North Star Sports. It was not bike I would have bought, but was fine for the trip, and in top notch condition.
We left late Monday and stayed at a B&B on Grand Isle. The riding was flat, on good pavement, with light, courteous traffic. The only negative was the heat. It was kissing 90° with matching humidity. I used to thrive in the heat, but that was in another century. We could ride along and see the lake on both sides with the Adirondacks to the West and the Green Mountains to the East. There are plenty of services; convenience stores, inns, motels, campgrounds, etc.
I definitely plan to go back and explore some more. I'll bet foliage season is spectacular.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 08-29-21, 07:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I’m planning to start from St. Albans City on 9/12 and stay in Burlington for two days before continuing south, ultimately to Philly. Mostly a reprise of a route I did in 2018.
Old 08-30-21, 07:25 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Thanks for returning to post this update/summary. We hope to do the Burlington-Montreal ride in the near future..next year now. Your summary helps...
Old 09-01-21, 05:53 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Just returned from a few days in Burlington and got to ride the Island Rail Trail from downtown Burlington across the causeway/bike ferry and up to Grand Isle and back - awesome. Every other time I've been biking in Burlington was either before the bike ferry or when it wasn't running.

I'd planned on doing a two ferry loop the next day: south to Charlotte, ferry to Essex NY, bike to Port Kent, ferry to Burlington but the Port Kent/Burlington Ferry wasn't running. I seem to be the ferry jinx.