Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lotus Challenger - any good?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-31-21, 08:10 PM
mwdilday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am going to look at a Lotus Challenger tomorrow. Guy is asking $50 and it looks like it is in great shape. Any idea of the year or value? Is the Challenger a good bike? A couple of pictures attached.

Old 08-31-21, 09:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
I had one of those back around ‘85, from when it was new. Value today isn’t much, about zero by my reckoning, but exactly what someone else is willing to pay. It was a lower mid-range bike back then, IIRC. There’s a Classic and Vintage subforum here on BF where you might get more and better action on your questions.
Old 09-01-21, 11:38 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
I guess it really depends on what sort of riding you expect to do on that bike.

Trip down to the shops or to the pub on weekends? Around the park with the kids? Commute short/flat distances to work? It'd be fine for that stuff and at $50 why not.

Joining the fast road century bunch ride on the weekend? Not so much...
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-02-21, 07:59 PM
mwdilday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah I passed on it. Didn't look like a quality bike IMO but I am sort of a noobie. Just didn't get that warm and fuzzy feeling.