Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Not touring during the pandemic?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Not touring during the pandemic?

Old 09-06-21, 06:05 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yes I do and I likely will if I don't have room for a "real" bike. Taking a canoe would be a higher priority if possible since my wife will still paddle on flat water
I understand your reluctance on leaving your wife and dog behind. Take them both to the Adirondacks for canoe touring in the various wilderness sextions of the park, no motorized boats and very few home (none on some lakes) I highly recommend St Regis and Whitney Wilderness areas. Remote and easy. The leaves were just starting to turn. You have at least 2-3 weeks until peak. I was there for 6 days and saw almost no one until Friday, then on Saturday canoes were easily seen but still felt alone. Loons outnumbered the humans.

They also have some nice dirt/gravel roads so bring your bike. You cant ride in the Wilderness areas but elsewhere is fine. There is a great waterproof map that shows everything. NY is good at wearing masks and vaccinations. Hit me up if you want more info, probably not good to put on this forum, I don't care but others might.
Old 09-06-21, 06:32 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
I understand your reluctance on leaving your wife and dog behind. Take them both to the Adirondacks for canoe touring in the various wilderness sextions of the park, no motorized boats and very few home (none on some lakes) I highly recommend St Regis and Whitney Wilderness areas. Remote and easy. The leaves were just starting to turn. You have at least 2-3 weeks until peak. I was there for 6 days and saw almost no one until Friday, then on Saturday canoes were easily seen but still felt alone. Loons outnumbered the humans.

They also have some nice dirt/gravel roads so bring your bike. You cant ride in the Wilderness areas but elsewhere is fine. There is a great waterproof map that shows everything. NY is good at wearing masks and vaccinations. Hit me up if you want more info, probably not good to put on this forum, I don't care but others might.
That is a thought. I have paddled the 7 carries route quite a few decades ago. I have hiked up Mt Marcy. I also ran some whitewater in the area. So I am somewhat familiar with the area. I haven't ridden in the area though.
Likes For staehpj1: