Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Caravan/Camp Trailer for Touring? Build #5

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Caravan/Camp Trailer for Touring? Build #5

Old 07-24-21, 07:12 PM
ghcoe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
This last weeks progress. I canvases the ceiling side of the roof.

Canvas drying.

Canvas trimmed after drying.

Then I cut out the forward shelf dado's on the left wall panel.

Old 07-24-21, 07:40 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So now the fun part. With discussions here and other forums I have decided to try something different with this build. Instead of the OSB floor as originally planned I decided to try and do a foam floor.

Here is the 2" foam floor just after cutting it out. The template is still on top of it.

Then ran a dado along the edges. This is where the walls will sit.

I am applying bonding primer to the top and bottom. The bonding primer bonds better to the foam than the Tight Bond II and Tight Bond II bonds great to the primer.

So I weighed the OSB floor (below) and it came in at 33lbs. The foam floor (above) weighs 4lbs. Now this is before paint and canvas which may add a pound or two more. We shall see.

Floor with inner frame rails installed
Likes For ghcoe:
Old 07-25-21, 09:49 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Have you given any thought to use corrugated plastic panels? Come in various thicknesses/strengths and colors or clear.. Home greenhouses frequently use it.

Old 07-25-21, 04:29 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Have you given any thought to use corrugated plastic panels? Come in various thicknesses/strengths and colors or clear.. Home greenhouses frequently use it.

I have used coroplast on some other projects. To me it is a bit flimsy for trailers, at least for a long term build. Also, I don't particularly like how you have to use zip ties, tape and other types of quirky fasteners to build with. You probably could build a lighter trailer, but would sacrifice quality to get it.

Once I get this foamie built it will basically be a unibody. Quite rigid and durable compared to the coroplast. Not to mention a lot more insulation to keep you cool or warm in different climate conditions.
Old 07-26-21, 08:18 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by ghcoe
Progress got slowed down a bit this week. Really all I managed to do was to cut off the excess canvas on the other wall, mark my shelf locations, and cut out the shelf dado's. Most of the time was making a new hot wire jig for the shelf cuts and a template for it too. Getting too hot here in the afternoons to be working out in the shop.
Looking good! Very curious to see how it turns out as I've considered a similar idea as a fun project for a while myself.

I hear you about the heat. Currently working on a new 4x4 overlander build but my garage is west facing and with the heat and direct sun I want to put in some time after work but often bail because it's too hot. I just erected a sun awning in my driveway to try to get some shade.
Old 07-26-21, 03:04 PM
Cougrrcj

I have used coroplast on some other projects. To me it is a bit flimsy for trailers, at least for a long term build. Also, I don't particularly like how you have to use zip ties, tape and other types of quirky fasteners to build with. You probably could build a lighter trailer, but would sacrifice quality to get it.

Once I get this foamie built it will basically be a unibody. Quite rigid and durable compared to the coroplast. Not to mention a lot more insulation to keep you cool or warm in different climate conditions.
I wasn't thinking the cheap/soft/weak stuff used for political yard signs, USPS mail trays/tubs. I was thinking more of the much higher strength corrugated polycarbonates. Those panels are VERY strong and rigid. Like I said, they make commercial greenhouses and sunrooms out of the stuff - (think snow load here near the Great Lakes) BUT it isn't cheap.
Old 07-26-21, 05:00 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Looking good! Very curious to see how it turns out as I've considered a similar idea as a fun project for a while myself.

I hear you about the heat. Currently working on a new 4x4 overlander build but my garage is west facing and with the heat and direct sun I want to put in some time after work but often bail because it's too hot. I just erected a sun awning in my driveway to try to get some shade.
Interesting that you are building a Overlanding rig. I have a overlanding YouTube channel. Your user name does seem familiar. You on another forum?
Old 07-26-21, 05:02 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I wasn't thinking the cheap/soft/weak stuff used for political yard signs, USPS mail trays/tubs. I was thinking more of the much higher strength corrugated polycarbonates. Those panels are VERY strong and rigid. Like I said, they make commercial greenhouses and sunrooms out of the stuff - (think snow load here near the Great Lakes) BUT it isn't cheap.
Ok! Yes I have thought about those panels for another project, but yes quite expensive. I have though of making windows and skylights in my trailers with them since they are cheaper than actual windows. I would have to purchase some and get a feel for them for sure. Thanks!
Old 07-26-21, 07:25 PM
Happy Feet

Interesting that you are building a Overlanding rig. I have a overlanding YouTube channel. Your user name does seem familiar. You on another forum?
Just joined exped portal. Left Coast Dale, though I haven't posted yet.
I have a Dodge Caravan I've been using for some years "as is" and am now committing to "vanlife" and just picked up a 2002 Chev S10 ZR2 I'm planning to use for more off road type travel.
Budget builds but I see them as a means to an end (getting me to biking, diving and SUP spots) than an end in themselves.
Old 07-26-21, 07:34 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just joined exped portal. Left Coast Dale, though I haven't posted yet.
I have a Dodge Caravan I've been using for some years "as is" and am now committing to "vanlife" and just picked up a 2002 Chev S10 ZR2 I'm planning to use for more off road type travel.
Budget builds but I see them as a means to an end (getting me to biking, diving and SUP spots) than an end in themselves.
Nice! I thought you might have been on the Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers or Cheaprvliving. I use the same username for both. Maybe someone else I conversed with has the same or close username.
I am also on Expedition Portal and Overland Bound. Welcome!

Last edited by ghcoe; 07-26-21 at 07:37 PM.
Likes For ghcoe:
Old 07-31-21, 04:50 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Progress last week.

Painted the bottom of the floor in preparation for canvas.

Applied canvas to top of floor.

Canvas applied.

Canvas trimmed.

Applying canvas to bottom of floor.

Canvas applied.

Canvas trimmed.

More to come soon.
Old 08-15-21, 07:05 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Getting a bit behind here I see. Well here is the progress since last time.

The walls come to a point in the front so I used duct tape to hold the pieces together on the outside. I then applied Gorilla Glue along the seam on the inside before I bent the walls together back together.

I added some spacers on the edge to hold the walls up from the bottom of the floor dado.

Then the walls are set up to get ready to glue to the floor.

Old 08-15-21, 07:17 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
First I run glue along the inside edge of the wall dado.

Then I set the nose down into the dado and then bend the walls along the floor profile. I use clamps to hold the walls in place on the back and then check to make sure the nose is slid back all the way. Luckily my measurements all came in so I must of done something right...

Now that the walls are where I want them I apply glue into the crevasse that the shims provided for me.

Old 08-15-21, 07:25 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A few shots of the walls after the glue up.

I had a couple places where the walls did not want to butt up to the floor properly so I had to add a few finishing nails to hold the walls in place as the glue dried.

Old 08-15-21, 07:40 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
After the walls were dry it was time to raise the roof...

I applied some 1"x2" to hold the roof in place as I installed it and as the glue dried.

Usually I set the roof on top of the walls, but I on this build I decided to install between the walls. This will help hold the curve of the walls at the top since the foam does want to go straight.

Old 08-15-21, 07:52 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Once the roof was in place I applied glue and then clamped it all together.

Here is a shot of the temporary roof supports once the roof is installed. They will hold everything even as the glue dries.

And then I popped the shelves into the shelf dados. They fit perfect! They will also give a lot of extra strength to the front section of the build.

Old 08-16-21, 12:34 AM
Happy Feet

Following with interest. Very curious to see how it turns out. You definitely seem to have a plan

Fwiw, I just finished two road trips in the last month and a half totalling about 8000 kms using the dodge caravan as a base camp. Mtbing, hiking, paddleboarding and even surfing at long Beach in Tofino.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-16-21 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 05:35 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
some questions:

1. what is the current weight of the project?

2. what is the expected weight of the final product?

3. have you hitched'er up to a non-motorized bike for a trial run in a wallyworld parking lot?

4. what are the odds you'll be able to drag'er uphill against the wind in the rain?
Old 08-16-21, 04:15 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Following with interest. Very curious to see how it turns out. You definitely seem to have a plan

Fwiw, I just finished two road trips in the last month and a half totalling about 8000 kms using the dodge caravan as a base camp. Mtbing, hiking, paddleboarding and even surfing at long Beach in Tofino.
Sounds like fun. I usually don't camp/overland much during July and August. Just too hot to get out to enjoy anything, unless it involves water. I mostly stay out in the desert so that is a issue at time. I am heading out to one of my favorite spots that has water in the desert early next month though. You can check out my YouTube Channel if you like https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYu...lAdNwVwZJ5oztg . The trailer I pull in the videos is a foam trailer too.
Old 08-16-21, 04:44 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
some questions:

1. what is the current weight of the project?

2. what is the expected weight of the final product?

3. have you hitched'er up to a non-motorized bike for a trial run in a wallyworld parking lot?

4. what are the odds you'll be able to drag'er uphill against the wind in the rain?
1. Current weight is 33lbs. That is with the rear wall in place but not glued.

2. I am shooting for 50lbs, but clients target was 100lbs. I should still be well under that. Some variables that I do not know the weights for. Still needs a light frame axle and wheels plus outside canvas glue and paint.

3. Not yet since I don't have any frame or wheels on it yet. I do plan to take it for a spin once it all gets together though. I am curious to see how it will perform too.

4. I guess that depends on bicycle gearing and rider stamina and how much extra weight you put in the trailer. If it was raining I would be in the trailer....
Old 08-16-21, 08:46 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
What I would like to see is a report on it once it has been towed through Southern Idaho, Wyoming and Nebraska.
Old 08-21-21, 05:48 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
1. Current weight is 33lbs. That is with the rear wall in place but not glued.

2. I am shooting for 50lbs, but clients target was 100lbs. I should still be well under that. Some variables that I do not know the weights for. Still needs a light frame axle and wheels plus outside canvas glue and paint.

3. Not yet since I don't have any frame or wheels on it yet. I do plan to take it for a spin once it all gets together though. I am curious to see how it will perform too.

4. I guess that depends on bicycle gearing and rider stamina and how much extra weight you put in the trailer. If it was raining I would be in the trailer....
A 100 pounds EMPTY trailer would be quite a workout on anything but the mildest inclines. I'm quite interested to hear what even a fifty pounds empty traailer feels like on a hill.

Good luck and cheers
Old 08-21-21, 08:10 PM
ghcoe

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
A 100 pounds EMPTY trailer would be quite a workout on anything but the mildest inclines. I'm quite interested to hear what even a fifty pounds empty trailer feels like on a hill.

Good luck and cheers
Thanks! As stated before this is for a e-bike. I looked at a few manufactured units in Europe and they were anywhere between 90-132lbs.Although some were being pulled by non e-bikes. At least in some of the advertisements.
Old 08-22-21, 01:39 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
A 100 pounds EMPTY trailer would be quite a workout on anything but the mildest inclines. I'm quite interested to hear what even a fifty pounds empty trailer feels like on a hill.

Good luck and cheers
back in ancient times, i pulled a bob along with 4 panniers.
the fully-laden bike, including up to 5 gallons water (10 2L soda bottles), was about 175 pounds.
guessing the trailer would account for 40-80 pounds, depending on how much water.
bob weight was 13, and was rated to carry 70.

drug that puppy about 20,000 km over the course of 18 months.
not toooo bad, if young and in good shape......wouldn't wanna do it now.
slow to gain speed, slow to stop. okay once in motion.
hills and mountains were difficult, but doable with 16" or 17" gearing.

most difficult were 1) the short, steep, constant up-n-down parts of northern
new zealand, and 2) the constant headwinds of western australia.

with this here trailer, the weight can be dealt with. just need the proper
gearing and a strong enough rider. the wind is going to be the real
problem, especially side winds. something this large pulled by a bike
is going to be unstable in anything stronger than a light breeze, and
deadly when passed by 18-wheelers at speed.
Old 08-22-21, 08:31 AM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by saddlesores;

...with this here trailer, the weight can be dealt with. just need the proper
gearing and a strong enough rider. the wind is going to be the real
problem, especially side winds. something this large pulled by a bike
is going to be unstable in anything stronger than a light breeze, and
deadly when passed by 18-wheelers at speed.
Hmmm.. I hadn't given the windage (crosswind) much thought. Light weight and a lot of surface area in the wind would make this thing like a leaf in a tornado...

Random brainstorming follows:... (sorry, that's how I think...)

think about doing something with rigid panels that folded - Origami style. Hmmmm...

I'm thinking about pet crates and how they fold up for storage. Those fold flat (well, a couple of inches thick) for storage. Now if you were to make the bottom 'pan' portion a foot or so high before the sidewall hinges, you could use that 1' high lower portion for carrying food, sleeping bag, etc, and have less 'windage area' when towing. That'd also keep the weight down low for stability.

If you were to build using insulated material (again I'm thinking Lexan opaque greenhouse panels), and cover the hinged areas with waterproof fabric... The problem would be the end walls and how to waterproof those seams, although canvas joints with zippers would probably be sufficient. Proof-of-concept/design can be done on a small scale using corrugated cardboard or 1/4" thick crafting foamboard to work though the problems...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.