Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What ultimately prompted you to get a cycling specific tattoo?
X number of career miles ridden
0.85%
X number of years ridden
2.56%
X number of bikes owned
0%
Big Event/Ride accomplished
4.27%
In memoriam
0.85%
I just like tatts
3.42%
I don't have one, and have no plans to
88.03%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Cycling Tattoo?

Old 08-16-21, 10:40 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Cycling Tattoo?

I'm getting ready to get inked with my first cycling specific tatt, and was wondering what prompted others to get one. Feel free to submit a pic of it.

Edit: BTW, within the last 2 years I've beaten Stage 4 Lung Cancer which metastasized to my Lymph, Spine, and recently Brain, all of which are under control (so far). And my oncologist said if it weren't for my advanced cardio-pulmonary system (like many of us here at BF), the tumors the width of my fist that collapsed my left lung upper lobe, as well as large blood restricting clots in both lungs would have likely killed someone not as fit as us. So I'm going to get a tatt that symbolizes cycling and lungs, possibly lungs outlined by a bike chain, something like this, but without the bikes inside.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-16-21 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 11:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I don't have a cycling tattoo, or any tattoo, I voted for career miles ridden because the next day it becomes worthless and you have to explain it every time someone asks what that means and you've ridden more miles than that and you need to get it changed but haven't be able to settle on a number.

Any of the first 3 fit somewhat into that category.

The more prudent thing is to use fantasy mileage ridden, like 457,812 because it will always look impressive and it will keep reminding you that you only need 400,000 more miles to get there.

John

Note: Posted prior to OP’s edit.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-16-21 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-16-21, 11:40 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don't have a cycling tattoo, or any tattoo, I voted for career miles ridden because the next day it becomes worthless and you have to explain it every time someone asks what that means and you've ridden more miles than that and you need to get it changed but haven't be able to settle on a number.

Any of the first 3 fit somewhat into that category.

The more prudent thing is to use fantasy mileage ridden, like 457,812 because it will always look impressive and it will keep reminding you that you only need 400,000 more miles to get there.

John
I wasn't saying the tatt would be the actual mileage milestone ridden, or a tatt stating how many bikes you currently own, or have owned in your life, that would be odd since the number is always changing. But that you decided to get the cycling tatt (maybe of a wheel, sprocket, chain, etc.) because you finally hit the 100,000 mile mark; finally finished a 1,200km brevet; or because you realized you've owned 100+ bikes in your life and thought it was a milestone worthy of a tatt.
Old 08-16-21, 11:45 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Ahhh, I see.

Maybe tattoo a pivot table so you could consolidate all the data.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-16-21 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 11:52 AM
70sSanO

While I’m just funning you, the problem with milestone tattoos is that you have to choose them carefully. They can be impressive to a non-cycling world, but maybe less so to those that are hard core.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-16-21 at 02:33 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-16-21, 12:31 PM
Riveting

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
While I’m just funning you, the problem with milestone tattoos is that you have to choose them carefully. They can be impressive to a non-cycling world, but maybe less so to those that are hard core.

John
Again, I'm not saying the tatt is itself representative of the milestone itself, but that the 100,000 mile milestone is what personally triggered you to get a tatt of, let's just say, an indiscriminate bike wheel, or a bike chain in the shape of a heart.
Old 08-16-21, 12:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
You missed one; for the love of riding bikes.

No tats, but I have idly thought about a 28 tooth chainring inside a heart. I <3 my granny gear. 😁
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-16-21, 12:40 PM
Riveting

Originally Posted by Korina
You missed one; for the love of riding bikes.

No tats, but I have idly thought about a 28 tooth chainring inside a heart. I <3 my granny gear. 😁
Agreed, getting a tatt of your best friend (the granny gear) is a sweet sentiment (mine's a 34!). And I kind of thought of "love of bikes" as a poll option, but I figured we all love bikes here, but we all don't have bike tatts (yet), and I was hoping to hear from those that did get the tatt, and what was the defining moment/event that caused them to pull the trigger and get it, after so many years of tattless bike love.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 08-16-21, 12:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
None of the above. I got it because I wanted to get it.

Sasquatch/Gorilla/BigThing on a bike. I am 6'5 210#...its close to how I figure I look when riding.

If I did an Ironman, I would for sure get the classic IM tat. I would be like a vegan and let everyone know what I did.
...but that would require me to swim more than 100m and run more than 100m.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-16-21, 01:07 PM
Riveting

This ^^

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I got it because I wanted to get it. Sasquatch/Gorilla/BigThing on a bike. I am 6'5 210#...its close to how I figure I look when riding.
Old 08-16-21, 01:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I'm getting ready to get inked with my first cycling specific tatt, and was wondering what prompted others to get one. Feel free to submit a pic of it.

Edit: BTW, within the last 2 years I've beaten Stage 4 Lung Cancer which metastasized to my Lymph, Spine, and recently Brain, all of which are under control (so far). And my oncologist said if it weren't for my advanced cardio-pulmonary system (like many of us here at BF), the tumors the width of my fist that collapsed my left lung upper lobe, as well as large blood restricting clots in both lungs would have likely killed someone not as fit as us. So I'm going to get a tatt that symbolizes cycling and lungs, possibly lungs outlined by a bike chain, something like this, but without the bikes inside.

Not sure why you're asking the question because no one is going to have a better reason for the tat than that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-16-21, 02:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm waiting to see the responses since I know there's a difference in acceptance depending on generation. Most people I know would consider tattoos the same as graffiti: a good way to deface the perfect surface.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 08-17-21, 12:51 AM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
a good way to deface the perfect surface.
You don’t put bumper stickers on a Porsche.
Likes For ChamoisDavisJr:
Old 08-17-21, 01:53 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I got a tattoo in 1987 when I went into the military. Back then they were cool, not many people had one. And you never saw girls with them. They became mainstream in the 90's and today everyone has them. Now I don't want mine. When anything turns mainstream it stops being cool to me. Thankfully you can't see mine when I'm wearing a shirt.

But even back then most people didn't cover their bodies with them. It's out of control today. The worst is when I see a pretty girl or even a model or someone with a huge tiger covering their entire leg or something. I mean come on man.
Old 08-17-21, 02:21 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
The only "tattoos" I have are scars from injuries/surgeries. A few of them from are riding and going down, and a couple from working on bikes. I am not knocking getting inked, I'm just not interested.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-17-21, 03:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have no plans to voluntarily get a tattoo or scarification, but I understand the appeal of commemorating something important through those markings.

I have one tattoo, involuntarily applied by my brother. We were kids, taking shelter from a hurricane in a radio/TV station where our mom worked. My brother was sitting on the floor drawing and coloring on paper. I kept pestering him, as was my prerogative as the elder sibling. He got fed up and stabbed at my hand with the pencil. More than 50 years later I have a pencil mark on the back of my wrist.

He was killed in a collision more than 20 years ago. Some folks get tattoos to memorialize their loved ones. I already had one. It's enough.

I had thyroid cancer a few years ago, fortunately encapsulated by calcification, no metastasis or chemo. Surgery got it. Left a tiny whitish scar in the middle of my throat. My then-primary care doctor had an identical scar from her thyroid cancer surgery. I like my scar. It shows up better in summer when I'm tanned from riding and running outdoors, especially in midday summer heat... because no matter how hot and uncomfortable it gets, it reminds me that I'm lucky to be able to do something as stupid as exercise outdoors when the temperature is over 100F. And it reminds me that I'm still on borrowed time, still getting screened for cancer twice a year, because the Big C is always lurking. So I'll enjoy my time while I have it and be grateful for the physical abilities I still have.

My cousin's little boy was born with a serious heart defect and needed multiple open heart surgeries, starting during his first week of life, and a few more during his first few years. He has a prominent scar down his sternum. He calls it his zipper, because it's been reopened so many times, and actually resembles a zipper. He's only in his early teens now, too young to get a tattoo. But I won't be surprised if he decides to embellish his "zipper" with ink later. If that what he wants, he's earned it. Personally I think the scar is magnificent enough as-is. But it's his body, his life, his memories and experiences.

I like that graphic design concept, using the forks and chain to form the lungs and trachea. My background was in health care, including assisting in surgery and in the tissue bank, harvesting organs and tissue from donor cadavers. The human body is a fascinating and beautiful thing in its own way, including beneath the skin. I'd only suggest that you consider a few variations, perhaps from different artists, before committing to ink. On the one extreme, there's the H.R. Giger type approach, melding flesh and technology. Or the elaborately formal irezumi style. On the other extreme there's the contemporary Asian influenced minimalism, or stark black and grey graphics. Lots of possibilities. Be sure that the design you choose will translate to ink and the tattoo artist is capable of doing it justice. Fortunately now with computer rendering we can get a pretty fair preview of how tats will look.

Best wishes. Looking forward to seeing the results, if you feel like sharing.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-17-21, 04:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Not a tat kind of person. No need to put a blemish on one's body, though it might seem like art. If you must, how about a cyclist rolling over the Grim Reaper like a speed bump? The Reaper is on the ground with an arm up as a shield. The cyclist is rolling over the top of him.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-17-21, 05:13 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
You don’t put bumper stickers on a Porsche.
You rarely see bumper stickers on high end sports cars.
But not because they are perfect in any way.
It’s because the people that own them generally treat them with an unhealthy reverence. If you believe your vehicle is a perfect machine or a status symbol you are a tool and would never dare put a sticker on it
Old 08-17-21, 05:37 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
https://littletinyfish.com/riverwest-24-tattoos/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-17-21, 06:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

I forgot to mention that this drawing makes me think of the Tour De France. 2 bicycles surrounded by chains with the Eiffel Tower between them.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-17-21, 07:01 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Tattoos are so establishment. Everyone has at least one. Nothing says anti-establishment and counter-culture than clear skin with no tattoos, no piercings and natural hair color.

Want to be a renegade, a radical or counter-culture? 86 the tattoo idea and save that money for something that you can actually use.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 08-17-21 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-17-21, 07:02 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
No tats. But I suppose if one of my kids passed I would tat up. But not with a cycling tattoo.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 08-17-21, 07:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Tattoos are so establishment. Everyone has at least one. Nothing says anti-establishment and counter-culture than clear skin with no tattoos, no piercings and natural hair color.
So there must be no counterculture because everyone has at least one tattoo. Got it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-17-21, 07:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Not a tattoo person myself, but without the bikes inside I think that design could look nice if done well (E.g., good line work so the chain is clearly readable.)
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-17-21, 08:26 AM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
My tattoo is "Marcobarbie" in honor of Marco Pantani. Only trouble is, unless the viewer is a rabid Pantani fan, the viewer usually thinks it's in honor of a former husband. If you saw my husband ride up a hill in front of you, you might see the allusion.
My advice is, wait A YEAR before getting the tattoo so you can refine the design.
Likes For BadGrandma:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.