Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

2018+ Crux internal shift cable questions

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 08-30-21, 05:22 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

I'm looking to re-cable my 2018 Crux. It currently has full-length cable housing run internally from the shifter all the way to the rear derailleur (enters downtube at the hydro hose+cable port, then exits out the chainstay). I'd like to run Jagwire Elite Link shift cable, but it would require a 4mm cable stop at the downtube and another 4mm cable stop at the chainstay.

Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions for how to put cable stops at those two locations, or is full-length cable housing my only option?
Old 08-30-21, 07:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I have 0 experience with that bike, but it seems like a bare cable without guide in the bottom bracket junction would just scrape back and forth against the corner where the dpwntube and bottom bracket meet.
Old 08-31-21, 06:42 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have 0 experience with that bike, but it seems like a bare cable without guide in the bottom bracket junction would just scrape back and forth against the corner where the dpwntube and bottom bracket meet.
Jaqwire Elite Link has a liner that you run inside the frame; the cable slides inside that liner. Only the exposed liner get links, which is part of the weight savings.
Old 09-01-21, 01:14 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Good question. I can only assume wherever you have cable housing now, the aluminum links have to go upon replacement.