Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Tire 2.0-2.2

Old 09-13-21, 09:52 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Gravel Tire 2.0-2.2

I am taking delivery shortly of a custom gravel bike. It will have an Astral Outback alloy wheelset with White Industry CLD hubs, 32/36 spokes. I am 6'4"/250. It will do road, gravel, rail trails, 2 track, and probably occasionally some single track. And some bike touring. Will not be using it as a mountain bike. I have a Waterford ST bike that I now have 700x28's on, and have had 38's on. So I have something I can primarily take on the road, if that will be the totality of that ride. Although I am real anxious to start riding the new one, road or otherwise.

My question is, is there much difference between 29x2.0 and 29x2.2? I am a Schwalbe fan, but also thinking the RH Fleecer Ridge, which is a 2.2 tire. 2.3 will be the max tire for the bike, and it looks like 2.2 is the max for the Outback rim. I am leaning towards the RH FR, but am wondering if that is getting to be too big a tire, for standard gravel grinding. Also considering an extra wheelset at some point to make the question moot. Thank you.
Old 09-13-21, 09:56 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
2.2 will give you that extra bit of compliance. 2.0 but would be thick enough for road use.

Most important is:

1. Use a tire size suitable to your inner rim width
2. Don't go too narrow or wide to avoid using an unsuitable tire diameter vs. What the bike was designed for
Old 09-13-21, 10:44 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Thanks, Moisture. The graph states 35-57mm for the Outback 25mm inner rim width. The FR being 55. Max frame tire width 2.3. So that looks like it will do it.
Old 09-13-21, 11:30 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by CaptMike
Thanks, Moisture. The graph states 35-57mm for the Outback 25mm inner rim width. The FR being 55. Max frame tire width 2.3. So that looks like it will do it.
I think i would look more for a middle ground, say 1.8 or 1.9?
Old 09-13-21, 11:38 AM
CaptMike

Why 1.8/1.9? I talked to Astral, and the tech guy says he rides 2.4 tires on that rim. So I think I am going to go with the FR. I appreciate the input.
Old 09-13-21, 12:01 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by CaptMike
Why 1.8/1.9? I talked to Astral, and the tech guy says he rides 2.4 tires on that rim. So I think I am going to go with the FR. I appreciate the input.
Just because you are fitting a wider tire onto the rim, does not mean you get the contact patch of said tire. It will fit over the rim like a balloon and be a bit floppy.

2.1 will work fine especially if you want a bit of extra compliance. I personally would look for a tight fit on the rim to ensure better performance. This is my reasoning.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 09-16-21, 03:53 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
My vote is generally for the widest tires you can fit in the frame & fork. And I don’t think you need to worry much about rim width - see, e.g., https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth...eed-wide-rims/
Likes For scubaman:
Old 09-21-21, 08:35 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by scubaman
My vote is generally for the widest tires you can fit in the frame & fork. And I don’t think you need to worry much about rim width - see, e.g., https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth...eed-wide-rims/
^ This. It’s a bigger deal if you’re squeezing radials onto skinny rims, but you aren’t, so it isn’t.
Old 09-22-21, 02:46 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
That RH knob design does roll pretty good but I'd think it overkill for that riding mix.

Something more along the lines of the light and supple Speedking Racesport 2.2".

RH has a filetread 55mm and 48mm now.
Old 09-22-21, 09:52 AM
saperry42usa

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to get gravel bike with 26 in wheels.
Old 09-22-21, 01:19 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Did you decide?

I have Schwalbe Thunder \Burt (54mm) and Furious Fred (50mm). There is a HUGE difference, but that is buy design. The FF handles like a road bike tire and corners hard. The TB handles like a monster truck tire, and corners on pavement like a truck (although both do great on gravel).

Speed and ride quality based on size alone - no, not much difference.
Old 09-22-21, 07:32 PM
CaptMike

Thank you all for the feed back. I went with the Fleecer Ridge. My eyes were glazing over looking at tires, and which ones were available, or not. So I am going to run these and see how I like them. I may get another set of rims for narrower tires, but I have other bikes for that. Can’t wait to just ride the thing.

Last edited by CaptMike; 09-22-21 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to.
Likes For CaptMike: