Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

London cycling routes.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

London cycling routes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-21, 01:28 AM
A632

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
London cycling routes.

Any recommendations for scenic/interesting cycling routes into the capital. Routes between 20-40 miles.
Old 09-14-21, 03:03 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
You don't say from which direction you're coming. I live to the SW of the city. My commute used to take me in more or less along the path of the Thames from Addlestone in Surrey. So that would take me to Shepperton and Molesey following the Thames, then alongside Hampton Court to Kingston. After that I turned North up to Hammersmith Bridge - surely one of the prettiest bridges over the Thames - up to Kensington, where I would dive through Kensington Gardens up to the top of Hyde Park, along Oxford Street to work. I've now moved to Tadworth, so that route is no longer an option and I do miss it rather. My current commute is pretty horrible by comparison but, on the plus side, there's some great mountain biking trails around me through the Surrey Hills.

I would suggest having a look on Komoot. If you give us an idea where you're based, or where you'd like to ride from, we may be able to help you further.
Old 09-14-21, 03:14 AM
A632

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
You don't say from which direction you're coming. I live to the SW of the city. My commute used to take me in more or less along the path of the Thames from Addlestone in Surrey. So that would take me to Shepperton and Molesey following the Thames, then alongside Hampton Court to Kingston. After that I turned North up to Hammersmith Bridge - surely one of the prettiest bridges over the Thames - up to Kensington, where I would dive through Kensington Gardens up to the top of Hyde Park, along Oxford

Street to work. I've now moved to Tadworth, so that route is no longer an option and I do miss it rather. My current commute is pretty horrible by comparison but, on the plus side, there's some great mountain biking trails around me through the Surrey Hills.

I would suggest having a look on Komoot. If you give us an idea where you're based, or where you'd like to ride from, we may be able to help you further.

Reply appreciated and understood, yes should have been a little clearer.

Direction is not important to me, I’m prepared to travel. Living in Derbyshire, it’s my intention to spend the autumn months exploring the area surrounding the capital. Would like to take routes from surrounding areas into the city.
Old 09-14-21, 09:08 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 336 Posts
As was mentioned Komoot has a list:
https://www.komoot.com/guide/40898/c...-around-london

Also Time Out:
https://www.komoot.com/guide/40898/c...-around-london
https://www.timeout.com/london/thing...es-from-london
https://www.timeout.com/london/thing...es-from-london
Old 09-14-21, 09:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Thank you for sharing Komoot. Never knew it existed and they have cycle routes virtually everywhere and they show it on detailed maps. Incredible resource.

Old 09-14-21, 10:09 AM
A632

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking time to read and reply to my post.
Old 09-14-21, 10:20 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 336 Posts
If you sign up to Komoot they charge per area that you want maps for (maps that download to your phone).
But you get one area for free, and Greater London counts as one area (ie. inside M25).
Old 09-14-21, 02:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
For the winter weather
London Pretzel
Old 09-14-21, 05:28 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Big Ben, Parliment
Old 09-16-21, 02:19 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I'd say Komoot is your friend here. However, if you are interested in the route I used to ride into London I can send it to you as a GPX file, or similar; just PM me. Here's a photo I took on my ride in to work in September 2010:

Thames at Shepperton

You could probably adapt the route to take out the boring bits. If you are coming down this way I'd say a visit to the Surrey hills is worth a bit of a detour. So many of the Komoot rides seem to include the famous ZigZag Road up Box Hill, which is certainly a nice ride. But there are some much prettier and more challenging rides very close by, including Leith Hill (the highest point in Surrey) and Ranmore Common.

Last edited by jgwilliams; 09-16-21 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Typo