Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Old 07-21-09, 11:31 AM
Bone Head

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
. So, I rode my two mile loop clipped in the the pedals. It was harrowing a couple of times but I managed to get unlatched at the last minute!! But it was so cool, I felt like a real bicyclist.

Congrats on the progress!! Your excitement is contagous!!!
Not to put a damper on things, but if you're new to clipless pedals -- be prepared for the dreaded 0 mph fall!! (You are probablly too young to remember Artie Johnson riding the tricycle on "Laugh In".) It will happen. There are 2 types of clipless riders, those who have tipped over when they came to a stop while still clipped in and the other type is those who will. It is almost a right-of-passage. Most of us have had more than 1... Generally, it is only our egos that get bruised

Last edited by Bone Head; 07-21-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 12:00 PM
rdmjr

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oidar
Thank you for the encouraging words. You hit the nail on the head. I rode *maybe* 3 blocks round trip this morning, and my legs were rubbery and my arms and shoulders hurt from holding all my weight up over the handlebars. I came back and put it in the garage, but after reading this, Im going to go out and try it again.

Thanks!
Oidar,
Don't worry about the distance - it goes up faster than you're thinking it will now. Last year, I started back into riding; I got a recumbent trike. My first ride was a little over 2 miles, and took around 2 hours, since I had to stop frequently to catch my breath. Last fall, we did a 56+ mile ride. This year we're behind, because I had arthroscopic knee surgery in mid-June, but we're back to 15-20 mile rides, and we'll eventually get back to the 50+ level. One of the best motivators for me is going on some of the rides our bike shop puts on; their normal pace is 13+ mph, while mine is closer to 8-8.5. I just make sure I know how to retrace my path, so that if (OK, when!) they drop me, I can find my way back.
- Bob
Old 07-21-09, 12:45 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bonehead,
I know it's just a matter of time until I take a tumble! But, boy, am I dreading it. In a lot of ways it would be better to just get it over with!
Kate
Old 07-21-09, 04:48 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'2" 240lbs (mostly belly) and i unashamedly wear tight lycra bike shorts.

Sometimes people do yell things at me but I usually just ignore them. I may be fat, but I'm probably in better shape (strength/stamina) than most of the people doing the yelling.
Old 07-22-09, 06:12 PM
Oidar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shazzam! Historian, you are my new idol! I'm in the 5X shirts now, and I hope I can do as well as you. So, that was two years ago. How are you doing now?
Old 07-22-09, 10:55 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Oidar
Shazzam! Historian, you are my new idol! I'm in the 5X shirts now, and I hope I can do as well as you. So, that was two years ago. How are you doing now?
Up 40 pounds and full of self-loathing. Here I am in February, at Sheeder-Hall covered bridge here in PA:

Old 07-23-09, 03:35 PM
djnzlab1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CLips and the learnig curve

HI,
THe one thing I can advise you is Un-Clip before you try and stop.
It seems to make sense but for some reason you hesitate at intersections hoping to dart accross, and avoid uncliping.
I unclip one foot a hundred feet from the stop and coast down.
I fell 5 times the first year till I learned to unclip at every intersection before I brake.
Slow Learner..DUH ..
Doug
Old 07-23-09, 09:11 PM
surfengine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have never worn bike shorts and often ride around 40 miles on weekend rides.
i dont think you really need them for short rides like that.
maybe if your doing 100+ miles you need them...i donno.
Old 07-24-09, 12:29 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Turtlewoman! I've been proudly riding as an Athena for about 5 years now and I've heard every catcall out there and I've realized something. The idiots who yell out "woooo wide load" or "you're soooo fat!" are the same idiots who stare at me if I'm eating a sandwich or mutter "gross" under their breath when they walk past me in the mall. Basically: if they exist to be negative, angry and ugly.

I, on the other hand, encourage everyone to enjoy a bike ride. Or go kayaking. Or hiking. Or running. Or whatever a person wants to try to improve either physical fitness or health.

On the subject of bike shorts, I do wear them but beneath another pair of shorts or pants. I feel like I'm only wearing underwear when I put on my bike shorts. But there are mountain bike style shorts (I have a couple of pairs -- ordered them from Terry's and Team Estrogen) that have inner padded shorts sewn into a pair of comfy, stretchy outer shorts WITH POCKETS omg I love pockets!!
Old 07-29-09, 02:33 PM
xyntiacat
Rockin' down the highway

Bikes: Electra Townie 21 700cc, Trek Lexa, Catrike Trail

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I Know What You Mean

I am just starting back to bicycling after about 15 years of complete inactivity. I am 5'5" and 236. Kind of a round little person! My problem is that I am very embarrassed to go out on my bike. I really love riding but I am afraid some creep will yell something at me or someone will laugh. And wearing bike shorts---FORGET THAT! Does anybody else feel that way or is it just me?
Based on another thread, I'd say we are about the same size, and I TOTALLY know what you mean. I just remind myself that at least I'm out doing something instead of sitting on the couch watching TV all the time.

Xyn
Likes For xyntiacat:
Old 07-29-09, 03:15 PM
isara
Big Girl Biking

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclokitty
Hi Turtlewoman! I've been proudly riding as an Athena for about 5 years now and I've heard every catcall out there and I've realized something. The idiots who yell out "woooo wide load" or "you're soooo fat!" are the same idiots who stare at me if I'm eating a sandwich or mutter "gross" under their breath when they walk past me in the mall. Basically: if they exist to be negative, angry and ugly.
If I get the chance, I like to remind them that fat is fixable. Their lousy personalities need a lot more work than I do!
Old 07-29-09, 05:42 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Congrats on the progress turtlewoman. it seems like you speak for the nation with this post. obviously alot of people feel the same. I do i know but when i overcome the fear I feel fantastic and i say to myself "what was i worried about?"

if you can remember the good and not the bad its an easy way to make sure you keep going out. I sometimes let the fear get the better of me so trying to make it habitual so there is no choice in the matter

as the previous poster says if someone does say something like laugh or beep the horn etc, sure it might hurt at the time but in the end its only their insecurities they're trying to hide. good luck with the rest of your journey!

gonna try and find some pictures of your new bike a 70's peugeot? fantastic! I have an 80's peugeot but unfortunately I can't use it cos i can't get a quill seat post for it but fantastic bike

oh yeah, hope you won the shorts

Last edited by breadbin; 07-29-09 at 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-29-09, 06:01 PM
turtlewoman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi breadbin,
Thanks for the encouragement from you and everybody else!! It's been awesome. I really think that this thread touched a nerve with a lot of people. I thought I would be in the minority, worrying or even being aware of what others say. But I have definitely decided that tomorrow I am going to get myself some bike shorts. I get paid tomorrow, so I'm just going to bike the bullet and go to the LBS and see what they have and possibly to REI. I like to shop at a local shop and support the local economy if I can. But I am going to do it!!!!! I've gotten too much encouragement not to. And what's more when I get them I'm going to wear them----outside the house even!! I'm going to kick some a** and take names!!! Take no prisoners!!! And all that hyperbolic, super self-pumping up stuff!!!
Oh, and Breadbin, I will to to the Collective and see if I can find a quill seat post that will fit your bike. I could send it to you, no problem. Is there a size that I need to know? I will be going back there on Sunday so let me know. We have a huge box of all kinds of seat posts, I'll bet I can find one.
I'll let you know what I come up with. Oh, PM me with your address and any size information.
Keep the faith,
Kate
Old 07-29-09, 06:06 PM
turtlewoman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like that a lot----fat is fixable!!! I'm definitely going to remember that one. It's so true.
Oh, and I want to see pix of the outfit you sew up. That's really intriguing me.
Kate
Old 07-29-09, 06:37 PM
isara
Big Girl Biking

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll definitely post it once it's done. Away for a couple of weeks, though, so I have to wait. Where are my little sewing elves when I need them??

Good luck shopping!
Old 07-29-09, 06:58 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is an excellent thread....very uplifting. I'm downright jealous, Kate, over the availability to you of that bike co-op. That sounds like a dream come true.

I'm approaching the weight issue from the opposite direction; I tend toward skinniness. I also feel a bit embarrassed, sometimes, over my appearance. Even though it's hardly all that bad; I'm recognized as a guy who's in good shape.

Don't forget that the idiots are really pretty rare. Most people will actually approve. I know as fact that most people when seeing an overweight person biking/jogging, etc., will think "Good for her/him". Polite people don't say it, at least to stranger, for fear of seeming rude. But most passersby will have some degree of admiration for you.

Your loved ones may try to dissuade you on the grounds that it's "dangerous". But whether they know it or not, they are really afraid that the world will look down on you. All you can do is forgive them and ignore them. They are looking at it from the wrong end of the telescope, just as you and I have done.

You're a really cute girl. I'm certain that you have more realistic worries than your appearance. You should forget all about that.

It's nice to be associated with a community that is this supportive.

Now ride, ride and ride some more!
Old 07-29-09, 07:02 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
For every one person that laughs, there's 99 saying "Good for you!"
Old 07-30-09, 03:47 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi breadbin,
Thanks for the encouragement from you and everybody else!! It's been awesome. I really think that this thread touched a nerve with a lot of people. I thought I would be in the minority, worrying or even being aware of what others say. But I have definitely decided that tomorrow I am going to get myself some bike shorts. I get paid tomorrow, so I'm just going to bike the bullet and go to the LBS and see what they have and possibly to REI. I like to shop at a local shop and support the local economy if I can. But I am going to do it!!!!! I've gotten too much encouragement not to. And what's more when I get them I'm going to wear them----outside the house even!! I'm going to kick some a** and take names!!! Take no prisoners!!! And all that hyperbolic, super self-pumping up stuff!!!
Oh, and Breadbin, I will to to the Collective and see if I can find a quill seat post that will fit your bike. I could send it to you, no problem. Is there a size that I need to know? I will be going back there on Sunday so let me know. We have a huge box of all kinds of seat posts, I'll bet I can find one.
I'll let you know what I come up with. Oh, PM me with your address and any size information.
Keep the faith,
Kate
thanks for that turtlewoman, just pm'ed you with size thanks and good luck with the shorts
Old 07-30-09, 12:17 PM
Pezzle
Bad Newbie

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.0 [beautiful cobalt blue]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfengine
i have never worn bike shorts and often ride around 40 miles on weekend rides.
i dont think you really need them for short rides like that.
maybe if your doing 100+ miles you need them...i donno.
IDK, the burning and bruising I get after only 5 miles says otherwise, at least for me.
Old 07-30-09, 04:12 PM
Kneez

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Turtle, I am about to start riding again after more than ten years off the bike and I too have really been shy about getting back into those shorts. To be blunt, my hindquarters are not going to be pretty but I'll tell you what has given me the strength to get back on the bike: seeing overweight riders. I see them all over and every time I think, "If they can do it, so can I." I really do think we get strength from one another. My bike comes this weekend. I am still nervous about the shorts but I will take the plunge. I miss cycliing too much not to.

I'll tell you if anyone faints from the sight of my extensive butt.
Old 07-30-09, 05:30 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
If anyone faints, just remember, it's because they saw something magnificent, like a Renoir

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-30-09, 07:03 PM
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
But I have definitely decided that tomorrow I am going to get myself some bike shorts. ... I'm going to kick some a** and take names!!! Take no prisoners!!! Kate
Hey Turtle - It's the bee - So when I started riding - I likely posted this before - I had to buy mens bike shorts form Aerotch as the LBS only had stuff for emaciated people.

So if you need to just go look a the mens stuff - stil padded and they worked. GL!! Have fun...
Old 07-30-09, 07:26 PM
turtlewoman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kneez,
Glad you joined! What kind of bike are you getting and do you plan to post pics? Hope so!
Kate
Old 07-30-09, 07:29 PM
turtlewoman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Miss B,
I went to REI and the LBS and they had nothing in my size. Even the mens shorts were all small and medium. So, I am either going to order from Aerotech or Love2Pedal. Probably L2P since he( or she) is a forum member. I want to support the home team afterall.
Kate
Old 07-30-09, 07:32 PM
1bluetrek

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kate, you ARE a real cyclist! You rock! Wear the spandex and Lycra, you wont be sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.