Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1994 shimano deore xt repair help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 11:20 AM
RodJB

Bikes: 1994 TEAM MARIN - 1995 MARIN ELDRIDGE GRADE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 1994 Team Marin with full Deore XT package on which some gears are skipping.
I have a brand new old stock Hyper-glide chain and a correct new old stock 8-speed rear cassette to install.
I plan to change the 2 biggest chainrings but don't have any spares.
I need to find 2 chainrings that will be compatible with the XT crank & new Hyper-glide chain
I got a new hip & need to get back on my bike but am retired on a fixed income so looking for the least expensive route....

Last edited by RodJB; 03-06-21 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-06-21, 12:48 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by RodJB
I have a 1994 Team Marin with full Deore XT package on which some gears are skipping.
I have a brand new old stock Hyper-glide chain and a correct new old stock 8-speed rear cassette to install.
I plan to change the 2 biggest chainrings but don't have any spares.
I need to find 2 chainrings that will be compatible with the XT crank & new Hyper-glide chain
I got a new hip & need to get back on my bike but am retired on a fixed income so looking for the least expensive route....
I would install the chain and cassette first. It might work fine and you may not need the chainrings.
But if you do measure the bolt distance. And you probably don't need to buy nos 8 speed stuff unless you want to keep it period correct.
Likes For blamester:
Old 03-10-21, 07:26 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
@blamester is correct. The chain and cassette replacement will most likely solve all your skipping problems. Be sure that your rear derailleur is adjusted correctly, too, because that can sometimes make it seem like a chain skip even after you've replaced the chain and cogs.

You probably don't need to change the chainrings unless they're clearly worn and, if so, it's probably only the largest ring that would need to be changed, because it's the one is under the most stress. The middle ring might also be worn, because that's the ring that usually gets the most use. But yeah, just look at them...the wear is pretty easy to spot.

https://wickwerks.com/faq/worn-out-chainrings/
Likes For arex:
Old 10-02-21, 04:07 PM
RodJB

Bikes: 1994 TEAM MARIN - 1995 MARIN ELDRIDGE GRADE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Issue corrected.

Originally Posted by blamester
I would install the chain and cassette first. It might work fine and you may not need the chainrings.
Have had some issues with my ticker but finally managed to switch out the cassette and chain, Then just a of minor tweaks & the skips are gone without having to change the chainrings. It's like riding a new bike...
Likes For RodJB: