Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Inline Barrel Adjuster and Cable Housing with Exposed Wire (pictures included)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 07:34 PM
user2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I've been having trouble getting the rear derailleur indexing correct, and my shifter cable housing doesn't look right. Please see details below each of the photos below.

Bike: Kona Sutra 2021, 10 spd bar-end shifter. This is how the housing was installed when I received the brand new bike a few months ago. The housing is Jagwire lex xl housing

Pic #1: Cable is intentionally loose to show problem. Why is there a section of exposed wire on the end of the housing? Here I am pulling on the end of the barrel adjuster with needle nose pliers because I thought it may be a loose ferrule stuck inside the barrel adjuster, but it seems that the ferrule is built into the adjuster and is not removable.

Pic#2: Housing fully seated inside barrel adjuster. The plastic casing of the housing doesn't quite go inside the adjuster. As a result, a kink is created in the housing rather than a bend. Shifting performance is inconsistent.

How do I fix this so the housing is properly seated inside the adjuster? Do I need to cut the housing so that there is no exposed wire and it fits properly inside the adjuster?

My instinct here is to cut the housing, but I'm confused as to why the sheathing was stripped off the end to begin with. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-21, 08:13 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html#cutting
Old 08-24-21, 08:43 PM
user2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Are you implying that the housing does indeed need to be cut?

I'm confused as to why the sheathing on the end of my housing appears to be "stripped" so I feel like I might be missing something here.
Old 08-24-21, 09:24 PM
dsbrantjr

The housing needs to be cut, shifting will not be stable with those strands sticking out. It does not matter why the housing was stripped, it needs to be fixed.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-25-21, 04:01 AM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
A contract assembler generally builds bikes for a manufacturer and ships them boxed to the bike shop. Unless the shop is very good, they often do very little prep on the bike, particularly on less expensive ones, leaving situations like this. I’ve seen even worse assembly on much more expensive bikes.

That housing needs to be re-cut.
Likes For bitpuddle:
Old 08-25-21, 04:50 AM
dsbrantjr

You would do well to check all of the housing ends on the bike, brakes (assuming mechanical actuation) as well.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-25-21, 05:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I've had lower end bikes shipped with cable ends cut like that. I'm guessing it's the result of some mass production cutting tool or process that leaves the cable end looking that way. In my case, it's a 7-speed bike and indexing is not negatively impacted, and I've never replaced the cable. But I could see how it could be a problem on a 10- or higher speed bike. I'm not sure that the housing would seat correctly in the barrel adjuster even after it's re-cut cleanly. I presume the barrel adjuster is small enough such that it wouldn't accept a small plastic end cap on the end of the cable housing? I think that'd help the cable seat correctly. Perhaps a different inline barrel adjuster that does support end caps would help things?

Inline Adjusters | Jagwire

It looks like you have the "Pro Mini Indexed" adjusters, which support 4.0mm housing with no end caps. The "Sport Indexed" adjusters support shift cable housing with end caps. Perhaps you could reconfigure the location of the adjusters to a straighter section of housing and use those slightly larger inline adjusters while you have everything apart.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-25-21, 11:50 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
reason for exposed wire: my guess based on similar experience would be it's a problem with housing quality. in trying to build up several project bikes, i tried to save myself a lot of money and found a bunch of brake and shifter cables and housing in bulk lots on ebay. i didn't order anything out of china, but it's very likely that's where it was all made. anyway, point is, on the first or second bike i put together, i noticed after a few rides the rear brake started feeling rough when pulled. i took things apart to investigate and found what you see right there!! and, i always cut the ends nice and flat and dress them so they fit square in the ferrule. and, speaking of the ferrule, the hole end had started to collapse and deform, also. as they say, you get what you pay for sometimes.
Likes For thook:
Old 08-25-21, 02:03 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Just cut it and if that doesn't work get a new outer.
Likes For blamester:
Old 08-25-21, 06:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
I've long thought that some casing plastic coating will shrink back over time. Andy
Old 08-25-21, 11:43 PM
user2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I recut the housing and reassembled and shifting performance is excellent now. Thanks everyone for your help.

You would do well to check all of the housing ends on the bike, brakes (assuming mechanical actuation) as well.
Sure enough, I checked the other sections of the rear mech cable and they were all "stripped" as well, although not quite as bad as the one at the barrel adjuster. Haven't checked the brake cable housing yet but I expect to find the same.

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I've had lower end bikes shipped with cable ends cut like that. I'm guessing it's the result of some mass production cutting tool or process that leaves the cable end looking that way. In my case, it's a 7-speed bike and indexing is not negatively impacted, and I've never replaced the cable. But I could see how it could be a problem on a 10- or higher speed bike. I'm not sure that the housing would seat correctly in the barrel adjuster even after it's re-cut cleanly. I presume the barrel adjuster is small enough such that it wouldn't accept a small plastic end cap on the end of the cable housing? I think that'd help the cable seat correctly. Perhaps a different inline barrel adjuster that does support end caps would help things?

Inline Adjusters | Jagwire

It looks like you have the "Pro Mini Indexed" adjusters, which support 4.0mm housing with no end caps. The "Sport Indexed" adjusters support shift cable housing with end caps. Perhaps you could reconfigure the location of the adjusters to a straighter section of housing and use those slightly larger inline adjusters while you have everything apart.
Thanks for this. Yeah, I don't think there is any room to fit an end cap on the end of the housing inside the barrel adjuster, but it seems to fit okay after re-cutting and re-inserting. If I have further issues down the road I think I'll do as you said and replace the adjuster and locate it in a straighter section. I have a feeling it might kink again over time.
Likes For user2:
Old 08-26-21, 03:58 AM
dsbrantjr

Thanks for the feedback; so often we propose solutions and never hear back from the OP whether they resolved their issue or not.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-26-21, 06:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The housing needs to be cut, shifting will not be stable with those strands sticking out. It does not matter why the housing was stripped, it needs to be fixed.
+1 this. And put a metal ferrule over the housing end to help prevent it from happening again.
Old 08-26-21, 07:01 AM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
+1 this. And put a metal ferrule over the housing end to help prevent it from happening again.
In message number 11, the OP states that all of the housing ends were stripped this way, and that there is no room for a ferrule in the barrel adjuster.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-26-21, 08:40 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by user2
I've been having trouble getting the rear derailleur indexing correct, and my shifter cable housing doesn't look right. Please see details below each of the photos below.

Bike: Kona Sutra 2021, 10 spd bar-end shifter. This is how the housing was installed when I received the brand new bike a few months ago. The housing is Jagwire lex xl housing

Pic #1: Cable is intentionally loose to show problem. Why is there a section of exposed wire on the end of the housing? Here I am pulling on the end of the barrel adjuster with needle nose pliers because I thought it may be a loose ferrule stuck inside the barrel adjuster, but it seems that the ferrule is built into the adjuster and is not removable.

Pic#2: Housing fully seated inside barrel adjuster. The plastic casing of the housing doesn't quite go inside the adjuster. As a result, a kink is created in the housing rather than a bend. Shifting performance is inconsistent.

How do I fix this so the housing is properly seated inside the adjuster? Do I need to cut the housing so that there is no exposed wire and it fits properly inside the adjuster?

My instinct here is to cut the housing, but I'm confused as to why the sheathing was stripped off the end to begin with. Thanks in advance.
The sheathing may not have been stripped off. I’ve had that same question for ages from what I’ve seen at my local co-op. I thought it was something that was done at the factory. However, I found the same “stripping” on several bikes that I cut the cable for. I believe that the sheathing shrinks after cutting and when exposed to heat and time. I would assume that there is a limit to how much the sheathing shrinks after it’s been cut…it won’t shrink away to nothing…so cutting it again right behind the exposed wires may solve the problem although I haven’t tested that idea.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-26-21, 12:06 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The sheathing may not have been stripped off. I’ve had that same question for ages from what I’ve seen at my local co-op. I thought it was something that was done at the factory. However, I found the same “stripping” on several bikes that I cut the cable for. I believe that the sheathing shrinks after cutting and when exposed to heat and time. I would assume that there is a limit to how much the sheathing shrinks after it’s been cut…it won’t shrink away to nothing…so cutting it again right behind the exposed wires may solve the problem although I haven’t tested that idea.
it does shrink. as i suspect, may have to do with quality. however, last night working on a recent acquisition, i ran across spare sections of shifter housing and found at least one of them had recessed sheathing. and, it had merely been sitting in the bucket!! it has sram ferrules on it, which may or not be the brand of housing. nevertheless....