Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Media bias against cyclist in reporting (Shawn Bradley)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Media bias against cyclist in reporting (Shawn Bradley)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 01:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
there is a distinction between assigning blame for an incident, and using information learned from an incident to improve practices going forward.....
As cyclists, we should learn as best we can to protect ourselves. Using this tragic incident to teach other cyclists is about the only productive thing that possibly can come from this thread
I hate to break it to you, but no one's looking to you to teach them from this incident. Your information isn't any better than anyone else's.

You literally claimed that Bradley wouldn't have been paralyzed if he had taken the lane a little earlier and turned his head around to an impossible angle. You absolutely crossed over into assigning blame, and you really should be embarrassed enough by the "eye contact" thing to realize that maybe "teaching" shouldn't be your role here.

Again, I don't get who these people are that need you to tell them how to protect themselves. I don't know what his lane position should have been, I wasn't there.

And BTW, if you read the article you linked, he wasn't in the roundabout when he was hit, he was past it. Cars don't park in roundabouts.
Old 01-17-22, 01:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Eye contact is one of the few, and one of the best tools we have to survive in traffic. Drivers often don’t “see” us. Even if the physically see us, they often don’t perceive us as human beings. Making actual eye contact with a driver before you move in front of them greatly improves your chances that they see you and perceive you as a human they shouldn’t kill.

if you look them in the eye, and they don’t acknowledge you then you’re at least forewarned.

So hell yes, if at all possible I’m making eye contact with a driver before I move into or in front of their lane of travel

If you’re not making eye contact with the drivers of cars around you, you’re unnecessarily increasing your own risk

Are you an owl? She was well behind him.
Old 01-17-22, 01:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My comment is specific to lane position in this particular circumstance, as relayed by the cyclist himself.

in the vast majority of circumstances, it is preferable to take the lane before entering a roundabout, to avoid precisely what happened here, provided you have space to do so safely.

Trying to pass on that point to people who may have not been taught that or have had that experience is the sort of thing this form should be about.

Are you arguing that cyclists shouldn’t take the lane before entering a roundabout? If that s your claim, you could tell us why you think that and we could have a rational conversation.

Depends on the roundabout, they're definitely not one-size-fits-all. And I don't see how your speculation as to what actually happened has anything to do with a rational discussion of any safety issue.
Old 01-17-22, 02:01 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Now I remember why I don’t come to A&S ( or Bike Forums in general) anymore. It’s impossible to have a reasoned discussion.

Go on living in your echo chamber; don’t let me disturb the clan.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-17-22, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Now I remember why I don’t come to A&S ( or Bike Forums in general) anymore. It’s impossible to have a reasoned discussion.

Not sure how you expect a reasoned discussion when you start by saying a guy got paralyzed because of his failure to ride with his head facing backwards and you can't acknowledge maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense. Don't think I'll miss that level of deep insight.
Old 01-18-22, 12:38 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts

Your opinion was challenged thoroughly. That makes this the very antithesis of an echo chamber. You're upset because everyone didn't agree with you.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 01-18-22, 01:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Yep.
Old 01-18-22, 01:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts

Statements that agree with you are "reasoned discussion."

Posters who disagree with "reasoned discussion" or not in 100% agreement with the conventional wisdom believed as gospel by the Real Cyclists of BF are no doubt trolls, misfits and/or unworthy and should be reported as such, eh?
Old 01-19-22, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Statements that agree with you are "reasoned discussion."

Posters who disagree with "reasoned discussion" or not in 100% agreement with the conventional wisdom believed as gospel by the Real Cyclists of BF are no doubt trolls, misfits and/or unworthy and should be reported as such, eh?

"Reasoned discussion" in these "person hit by..." threads apparently requires us to accept that the reason that someone got hurt or killed was because they didn't ride in exactly the manner that some guy posting on the forum says he does. Or that it's inevitable because all drivers are monsters.

I would have found "If Bradley would have _________________, he wouldn’t be paralyzed today" a pretty disgusting statement no matter what was put into the blank. That's not reasoning, it's baseless, using the tragedy to give their argument heft it really can't bear on its own merits.