Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Pro’s Closet feedback

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Pro’s Closet feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 09:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
From trek's website. And my bad, it actually would extend to any subsequent owner supposedly, but just for frame and fork. Probably need to have a copy of original sales receipt to provide proof of date of purchase from authorized retailer. 5th header down:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/warranty_policy/

This would make an interesting question to TPC as to whether they obtain a copy of original sales receipts for newer Treks at least so that warranty might be passed along.
Seems to say the subsequent owner would get 3 years from the time of the original purchase and only on 2020 or newer.
Old 01-04-22, 05:42 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Seems to say the subsequent owner would get 3 years from the time of the original purchase and only on 2020 or newer.
Yup, but in the case of TPC, they seem to have 96 Treks in stock that might qualify.
Old 01-04-22, 06:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by chaadster
Maybe such a paper trail, and the incumbent warranty that comes with it, is the reason for the “certified pre-owned” label in the more-expensive-than-new Trek you linked to above.
I don't think so.. they have close to 2,000 bikes of all sorts of brands that are certified pre-owned. In fact, they only have 6 bikes that are pre-owned but which are not evidently certified as such.
Old 01-04-22, 08:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Maybe such a paper trail, and the incumbent warranty that comes with it, is the reason for the “certified pre-owned” label in the more-expensive-than-new Trek you linked to above.
The words 'certified pre-owned' basically just mean 'verified as used'.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...uQwLXRqOlA8Z8g
This bike is 'certified pre-owned'.

When you click in the info button next to 'certified pre-owned', they actually claim that every bike gets their 'white glove certified pre-owned' treatment.
The Colnago is even rated 8.4 which is upper mid-level for condition rating according to their scale. An 8 year old bike that has a giant carbon repair scar on the downtube is upper mid-level condition, certified preowned, and not cheap.
It looks like someone slapped a flexseal patch on the downtube.

h/t a site we cant list here.
Old 01-04-22, 08:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...cross-check-xl
5 to 6 year old basic Surly Cross Check with no name crankset, 2x9 shifting, low level cantilever brakes, and a sweet plush saddle - $2000.

If someone will buy it then that is a fair price, yada yada. But its still absurd.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-04-22, 08:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I don't think so.. they have close to 2,000 bikes of all sorts of brands that are certified pre-owned. In fact, they only have 6 bikes that are pre-owned but which are not evidently certified as such.
Ah, I see. Thanks.
Old 01-04-22, 09:50 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
A sucker is born every minute.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-04-22, 09:57 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3254 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
A sucker is born every minute.
Wonder what they buy them for…
Old 01-04-22, 12:23 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I think part of the game is that they almost always seem to have a 200 or 250 off code, so they're obviously willing to let the bikes go for less, but hoping the fools with more money than brains won't bother checking. Now 250 off still wouldn't make that Cannondale mentioned above worthwhile to me, but it might for some, and there are other less ridiculously priced options.
Old 01-07-22, 06:13 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm curious if anyone here has experience selling items to TPC? I contacted them (pre pandemic) about selling an older Cannondale that I had rebuilt with a new groupset, and I don't recall the actual number they quoted me, but it was too low to consider. In hindsight I'm extremely happy that I kept that bike. I'm just wondering if their offers on used stuff have also gotten more competitive as the used market has exploded?

I have bought a few smaller items from them and it's always been smooth. I would have no hesitation buying a complete bike if I found what I was looking for.

Of course you can find better deals on Craigslist or Ebay, but those transactions also come with significantly more risk. TPC has accurate descriptions and clear photos - they aren't hiding damage or selling fake stuff, or listing a 58cm is a 56cm because the size sticker is missing and no one will notice, and you don't have to meet them in a parking lot with a bag full of cash and hope you don't get stabbed while riding the bike in circles for 60 seconds trying to assess if it's legit or not.
Old 01-07-22, 12:21 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
I've bought carbon wheels and other components from them and have been very happy. There are good deals to be had on their site. The bikes seem overpriced compared to eBay or Craigslist but they really seem to go over them to make sure they are fine.
Old 01-13-22, 07:04 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm curious if anyone here has experience selling items to TPC?
I sold my Storck frameset to TPC back in 2020. Got a great offer that I was very happy with. Even more than some of the lowball offers I was getting while trying to sell it locally and online.
Surprisingly, TPC never listed it for sale on their website .
Old 01-13-22, 07:49 AM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm curious if anyone here has experience selling items to TPC? I contacted them (pre pandemic) about selling an older Cannondale that I had rebuilt with a new groupset, and I don't recall the actual number they quoted me, but it was too low to consider. In hindsight I'm extremely happy that I kept that bike. I'm just wondering if their offers on used stuff have also gotten more competitive as the used market has exploded?

I have bought a few smaller items from them and it's always been smooth. I would have no hesitation buying a complete bike if I found what I was looking for.

Of course you can find better deals on Craigslist or Ebay, but those transactions also come with significantly more risk. TPC has accurate descriptions and clear photos - they aren't hiding damage or selling fake stuff, or listing a 58cm is a 56cm because the size sticker is missing and no one will notice, and you don't have to meet them in a parking lot with a bag full of cash and hope you don't get stabbed while riding the bike in circles for 60 seconds trying to assess if it's legit or not.
I sold them my 2019 Salsa Vaya in the fall. I got more than I was expecting. The offer was 3-tier: lowest offer for cash, higher offer for credit to one of their affiliate bike shops, highest offer for credit at TPC.

When the bike was listed, the description re condition was accurate. It sold for $100 more than I bought it for (in less than a week) and definitely needed a new rear tire within about 500 miles.

edit: the highest offer was only $400 less than I paid new.

Last edited by force10; 01-13-22 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-13-22, 12:01 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by force10
I sold them my 2019 Salsa Vaya in the fall. I got more than I was expecting. The offer was 3-tier: lowest offer for cash, higher offer for credit to one of their affiliate bike shops, highest offer for credit at TPC.

When the bike was listed, the description re condition was accurate. It sold for $100 more than I bought it for (in less than a week) and definitely needed a new rear tire within about 500 miles.

edit: the highest offer was only $400 less than I paid new.
So about a $250-500 margin (depending on coupons)? That's about 10-20%. Sounds fair.
Old 01-13-22, 03:44 PM
W2.Sprague

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Just bought a bike from them. The description was accurate if not extra careful. I can't even find some of the "light scratches" they mentioned. The bike was packed well and came with a torque wrench to put it together. Brakes and gears didn't need any adjustment. The price was higher than private sale, but I've never bought a bike privately that was in this good of condition.
Yes when they say its in Excellent condition it practically means "NEW". I bought a Cervelo R5 that was shown to be in excellent condition and when I got it I thought man is this new? Right now they seem to be the only bike vendor alive... every where locally is dead with no bikes to sell.. Even online Canyon seems to have bailed on road bikes.
Old 01-13-22, 03:56 PM
W2.Sprague

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah I shopped EBay and TPC. Ebay is cheaper and if you "know" what "components" your getting its good to go... but "Bikes" are a different think... I went with TPC for the very same reasons... spend a little more but get a bike that been inspected, rated, and the insurance of returning it if its not what you expected... which helps if your buying a different bike than your used to...
Likes For W2.Sprague:
Old 01-13-22, 04:37 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by W2.Sprague
Yes when they say its in Excellent condition it practically means "NEW". I bought a Cervelo R5 that was shown to be in excellent condition and when I got it I thought man is this new? Right now they seem to be the only bike vendor alive... every where locally is dead with no bikes to sell.. Even online Canyon seems to have bailed on road bikes.
Yeah, I had been looking at Canyon for a while, but when the time came to pull the trigger, they didn’t have my size and still don’t. One LBS had a bike slightly higher end than I was looking for, but I would have needed to change the stem, cassette, and chainrings… and hope there’s enough steer tube to put the handlebar high enough for me without flipping the stem ;-) In the end, the TPC had all the specs I wanted, saving me way more than the $850 initial cost difference.
Old 01-13-22, 05:06 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8
I sold my Storck frameset to TPC back in 2020. Got a great offer that I was very happy with. Even more than some of the lowball offers I was getting while trying to sell it locally and online.
Surprisingly, TPC never listed it for sale on their website .
No surprise. Once unpacked, I bet one of the employees took a gander, and bought it from them. You roll nice stuff.
Old 01-20-22, 07:21 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
No surprise. Once unpacked, I bet one of the employees took a gander, and bought it from them. You roll nice stuff.
Thanks LAJ. Hope all is well. I’m still rolling with the Lynskey and SBC but currently have my eyes on a Speedvagen.

A friend of mine bought a set of Reynolds ATR wheels from TPC. Brand new, great price and he couldn’t be happier.
Old 01-29-22, 02:26 PM
CFDJ

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've only had good experiences from them, I really liked their customer service as well. they really helped me get answers for some questions I had about a recent build even though it didn't end up being a sale for them and really prioritized what would fit and be best over making a sale.
Old 01-30-22, 01:54 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Not according to the trek rep I spoke to.
Main reason I went brand new instead of used for a bicycle.
I just checked because I just bought a used Trek.

Warranty transfers to second owner, but is limited to 3 yrs warranty from original purchase date. So no lifetime warranty for second owner.

Better than nothing I guess.

Also: I always wonder what people do to their bikes to need warranty so badly. Ive owned so many bikes (and even crashed a few), and never had a frame issue (even after crash). I understand it might give you peace of mind on an expensive bike, but I doubt most people need it, and I would take the savings of a used bike any day.
Old 01-30-22, 07:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc

Warranty transfers to second owner, but is limited to 3 yrs warranty from original purchase date. So no lifetime warranty for second owner.

Also: I always wonder what people do to their bikes to need warranty so badly. Ive owned so many bikes (and even crashed a few), and never had a frame issue (even after crash). I understand it might give you peace of mind on an expensive bike, but I doubt most people need it, and I would take the savings of a used bike any day.
good to know about the transfer.

it's a personal pref to have the LT coverage. I hope to never need to leverage it.
Old 01-30-22, 07:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Troul
good to know about the transfer.
Only works if the 2nd buyer is provided a copy of the original 1st owner's dated sales receipt. Hence a bit weird that's not an offered add-on buying from TPC. they currently have almost 100 Treks in stock at are listed as 2020 or newer model year.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-31-22, 07:24 AM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc

Right now there is no savings on a lot of bikes at TPC. I sold them a 2019 bike in the fall that they sold in December for more than I paid new - with one tire that was basically shot.

Currently, TPC has a 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL7 listed for more than Trek has the updated 2022 model listed.
Old 01-31-22, 10:53 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
Right now there is no savings on a lot of bikes at TPC. I sold them a 2019 bike in the fall that they sold in December for more than I paid new - with one tire that was basically shot.

Currently, TPC has a 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL7 listed for more than Trek has the updated 2022 model listed.
This kind of stuff won't last long.

I already see some signs that the shortage is easing. I'm thinking the early pandemic craze of "let's all buy bicycles since I can't go to the gym" is over by now. People are starting to offload the bikes they bought on a whim, and stores are probably starting to get cancelled orders from people who changed their mind. Or some stores perhaps put in big orders during the shortage, but demand has started to fall off.

This is all just speculation of course, and based on anecdotal evidence from looking around in my local market and online ads. I am not in the bike industry.
Likes For maartendc:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.