Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Passing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 05:24 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
bell works best
+1
I find a bell works great with other cyclists because our speeds are somewhat similar so I'm closer when ringing than with a pedestrian
Old 03-29-22, 06:35 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Don't you have two road bikes?! No matter, just promise that if you use earbuds with your MP3 player, you keep the left one out so you can hear should there come a time someone has to announce that they're passing you.
Actually, I have three. But honestly, I really couldn't afford two of them. Which is saying something given they're all about 15 years old. And I know I'm going to get shamed for this, but no, I do not leave one out. I don't have the volume cranked up either, but I do ride with both in.

As for my rides, I'm fairly quick but I still check my six every so often. And as a rule I try to stay as far left as I can. I don't know what it is, maybe people not paying attention, or maybe some are just d***s, but even on the highway where I have a 6 foot shoulder, I've had drivers "buzz" me.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-29-22, 10:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
no, I do not leave one out. I don't have the volume cranked up either, but I do ride with both in.
It's probably just a hot button for me because I have had two crashes because people wore them and didn't hear me calling "ON YOUR LEFT!", but they were changing direction without looking as well (FWIW they were an inline skater and a runner). If you check diligently (as you say you do), it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-29-22, 11:15 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's probably just a hot button for me because I have had two crashes because people wore them and didn't hear me calling "ON YOUR LEFT!", but they were changing direction without looking as well (FWIW they were an inline skater and a runner). If you check diligently (as you say you do), it shouldn't be a problem.
Not as an excuse, because I know a lot of people will frown on it regardless, but I use mine as much for suppressing wind noise as actually listening to music. It's odd, but I have had tinnitus for years now and if I am exposed to wind noise for a long time it's almost like the nerves in my ear get overstimulated and all I hear is ringing for the rest of the day. So even if I didn't have ear buds in I would almost certainly have ear plugs.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-29-22, 11:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Not as an excuse, because I know a lot of people will frown on it regardless, but I use mine as much for suppressing wind noise as actually listening to music. It's odd, but I have had tinnitus for years now and if I am exposed to wind noise for a long time it's almost like the nerves in my ear get overstimulated and all I hear is ringing for the rest of the day. So even if I didn't have ear buds in I would almost certainly have ear plugs.
Thanks. Reading that post made me more aware of my tinnitus. But yeah, I can see how earbuds or earplugs would cut down on wind noise.
Old 03-30-22, 07:05 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
As for my rides, I'm fairly quick but I still check my six every so often. And as a rule I try to stay as far left as I can. I don't know what it is, maybe people not paying attention, or maybe some are just d***s, but even on the highway where I have a 6 foot shoulder, I've had drivers "buzz" me.
Question of clarification...

Are you riding facing against traffic?
Old 03-30-22, 10:19 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell

I'm going to assume he's in the UK. (Let's hope)
Old 03-30-22, 11:09 AM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I'm going to assume he's in the UK. (Let's hope)
That had been my initial thought - UK or another LHD country - but someone else pointed out that OP's profile shows US as country of residence.
Old 03-30-22, 04:08 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
On your left
This is the traditional phrase and the one I use if passing. Also, if I come up behind someone and intend to stay there for a bit, I say "I'm on your wheel.Is that OK?"

Last edited by bruce19; 03-30-22 at 04:12 PM.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-30-22, 06:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
This is the traditional phrase and the one I use if passing.
After countless threads like this one, I think most BF members in the Road Cycling sub-forum are aware that this is the traditional phrase. But one of the reasons there are countless threads like this is because this traditional phrase is often misunderstood by pedestrians and beginner cyclists as an exhortation to swerve to their left.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-30-22, 08:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
After countless threads like this one, I think most BF members in the Road Cycling sub-forum are aware that this is the traditional phrase. But one of the reasons there are countless threads like this is because this traditional phrase is often misunderstood by pedestrians and beginner cyclists as an exhortation to swerve to their left.
I hate to say it, but in the club I ride with, the person who seems to get the best response is the one who has one of those brass bells on his handlebar. He rings it EVERY time we approach anyone who could possibly even be thinking of entering the roadway. Crystal clear sound, doesn't seem to startle people, and doesn't sound intimidating or entitled.
Old 03-30-22, 09:45 PM
VegasJen

No. I ride with the flow of traffic. Once again, I show that I can't tell my left from my right. I stay as far RIGHT as I can, and pass on the left.
Old 03-30-22, 11:19 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
On your left, give it a moment, thx…good morning…..off to the next one. I like to get a heads up when I am getting passed. I don’t enjoy when someone buzzes by me without any warning.
Old 03-31-22, 01:16 AM
Chrisyang

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Hey man, too slow,!
Old 03-31-22, 12:08 PM
gpburdell

No. I ride with the flow of traffic. Once again, I show that I can't tell my left from my right. I stay as far RIGHT as I can, and pass on the left.
No worries, my dear wife has that same challenge.
Old 03-31-22, 05:19 PM
VegasJen

No worries, my dear wife has that same challenge.
Boot camp was a bear for me. Even today, I'll hold up my left hand and say, "left. No, right! No, left.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-01-22, 12:23 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Boot camp was a bear for me. Even today, I'll hold up my left hand and say, "left. No, right! No, left.
When I taught marching, I told them to hold their hands up and notice that the left one makes an L. Still had a handful of people who marched with the right foot first.
Old 04-01-22, 08:24 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
+1
I find a bell works great with other cyclists because our speeds are somewhat similar so I'm closer when ringing than with a pedestrian
From own experience, I get startled / confused the least by a bell.

If I hear from a bell, I know it's a bicycle or e-scooter / bike w/e and always assume they intend to pass and the vast majority of the time, they do. If I hear a whistle, I don't always assume that to be a cyclist. More often, I'd think it would be from a pedestrian, bystander, or even a motorist.

"on the left" sometimes sound like "hello" to me or just some riders don't speak clearly enough or maybe it's the wind, w/e. I don't always assume they are passing.

"hello" I don't always take as passing caution.
Old 04-01-22, 08:56 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Bells can rarely be heard. Only on the quietest bike paths, and even then are hard to hear. But never with any car traffic around.
I ride in a big city with bike lanes running alongside car lanes so there's always car traffic around. I never had problem with bell. Most of the time I sound the bell to pass, other riders move aside to let me pass so they obviously heard it. I doubt my hub is louder than the bell.
Old 04-01-22, 09:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
In 40+ years, I have never had a problem with "on your left" on roads around here. Seems all other cyclists in my area get the meaning.

I have a bell on my recumbent. I use on pacelines of racers on training rides. It annoys them.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-01-22, 10:45 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Whistling like they do in South America looks like it works super well
Old 04-01-22, 11:58 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
In 40+ years, I have never had a problem with "on your left" on roads around here. Seems all other cyclists in my area get the meaning.

I have a bell on my recumbent. I use on pacelines of racers on training rides. It annoys them.
They're not annoyed by the bell so much as you passing them on a recumbent haha!
Old 04-01-22, 12:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
In 40+ years, I have never had a problem with "on your left" on roadsaround here. Seems all other cyclists in my area get the meaning.
The phrase "on your left" is generally not a problem on roads (including bike lanes, if any) around my area, but seems to be prone to misinterpretation on multi-use paths which are shared with pedestrians, children, and beginner cyclists.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-01-22, 12:31 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The phrase "on your left" is generally not a problem on roads (including bike lanes, if any) around my area, but seems to be prone to misinterpretation on multi-use paths which are shared with pedestrians, children, and beginner cyclists.
This is true. I still use "on your left" though but allow for it to sink in as there is no way I'm putting a bell on my bike. It wouldn't matter any way.

Someone that doesn't understand that "on your left" from behind is passing (like a car would) on your left side will not know what to do when a bell rings either. MUPs are a minefield in general and take some attention.
Old 04-01-22, 02:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I find it helps to add the words "I'm going to pass," as in: "I'm going to pass on your left."
Likes For caloso:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.