Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Habanero Titanium bicycles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Habanero Titanium bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 06:27 AM
benoksanen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know this thread is old and dead, but I read it today and thought I'd add a bit ... I just bought an older used Habanero frame (or so I hoped) with no stickers or identifying markings. Sent Habanero an email with the serial number (and a photo), and Mark had a nice personalized response to me verifiying size, sale date and manufacture date (2003) within hours. Further, he had a few kind words about my build. That personalized response makes me believe Mark will be there to support new purchases.

Ride on.
Old 03-15-22, 04:42 PM
beyt.al.tapes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice!
Old 03-15-22, 04:43 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by beyt.al.tapes
nice!
Thanks. Insight worth waiting six years for.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 03-15-22, 04:56 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Mark is a superb individual and an upstanding businessman. I have had two new Habbys over the years, and promote them whenever I can.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 03-15-22, 06:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
thanks. Insight worth waiting six years for.
ikr
Old 03-15-22, 06:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I just stripped down my Habby and cleaned it up. It’s going to get a brand new Ultegra R8000 groupset.

Likes For datlas:
Old 03-15-22, 07:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I will NEVER understand why people clamp top tubes.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-15-22, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Since the thread is zombie'd and I actually have a relevant bike to post, granted not a road bike but I have been riding it on the road occasionally till I actually put some damn proper tires and hit the dirt.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-17-22, 11:34 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Most all top tubes, carbon, light alloy, tapered steel and titanium (which has a lower tensile yield strength than steel) are not designed for clamping forces and paint can be damaged. I love my Habanero cyclocross and enjoy it as much as my Litespeeds Classic and Firenze. While not the artistic welds of some I assure you after years supervising years in heavy industry maintenance with multiple weld shops Habaneros welding is good. True Habanero beads are not nearly as attractive as some but with Ti the issue is oxygen infiltration which corrupts and discolors the weld leading to brittleness & cracking. Habaneros I have seen have beautiful silvery weld.
Old 04-05-22, 04:24 PM
guisar

Bikes: 2000 Habenero Road, 2022 Habnaero gravel, 2005 Spicer touring

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
About Habanero

Hi,

I (along with my partner) after long discussions and involvement with Mark (I was a very early owner of a Habanero) are the new owner/operators. Mark is still involved on a consulting basis, particularly with tandems, his speciality. In addition to the new line of disc models, we're bringing back the Nuevo updated to accommodate 30mm tyres, an EC44 headset with an extra strong fork in the larger frame sizes and a seat collar rather than a tab. The ride, ride quality and prices will remain Habanero.

Just wanted you all, or whomever may be interested about the change. We're here at sales@habanero.bike to help & provide any support you'd like

Cat & Wendy
Old 04-05-22, 06:29 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by datlas
I just stripped down my Habby and cleaned it up. It’s going to get a brand new Ultegra R8000 groupset.

Done. Even my cat approves.

Likes For datlas:
Old 04-05-22, 10:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I will NEVER understand why people clamp top tubes.
I have a mid90s cannondale road frame in my stand right now with it supported by the top tube. Why not?...like the bike here, my frame has no paint right now. It was placed in the vice and partly set to hold the frame in place because I had to install another rivnut on the downtube bottle cage holes.

Pictures don't always show what you think.
At the same time, sometimes they do show what you think.
Old 04-06-22, 01:03 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guisar
Hi,

I (along with my partner) after long discussions and involvement with Mark (I was a very early owner of a Habanero) are the new owner/operators. Mark is still involved on a consulting basis, particularly with tandems, his speciality. In addition to the new line of disc models, we're bringing back the Nuevo updated to accommodate 30mm tyres, an EC44 headset with an extra strong fork in the larger frame sizes and a seat collar rather than a tab. The ride, ride quality and prices will remain Habanero.

Just wanted you all, or whomever may be interested about the change. We're here at sales@habanero.bike to help & provide any support you'd like

Cat & Wendy
Congrats Cat & Wendy! I still have my Habanero road frame from 2005, and intend for my next bike to be from you as well.
Old 04-10-22, 07:56 PM
guisar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You are more than welcome to clamp the crap out of any of our tubes- they are strong af. You're absolutely right with carbon or AL tubes, at least the oversize and hydroformed ones. It may not cause a problem, but it just as likely will. With Ti frames, I'm not aware of any issues- that said we have an old seatpost we clamp to.
Old 04-10-22, 07:57 PM
guisar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks so much for the well-wishing! We'll be here and in addition to the updated Neuvo (30mm tires) we have a backpacking model (Variant - B) in the works. Like the gravel bike it'll work fine on the road as well but it's focused on crappy terrain and roads.
Old 04-10-22, 08:03 PM
guisar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ha!

Originally Posted by datlas
Done. Even my cat approves.

Cats are an important part of most workshops aren't they? Schmittens in one of our best QA folks.
Likes For guisar:
Old 04-19-22, 06:47 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by beyt.al.tapes
nice!
Resurrecting an old thread brought some folks out of the woods for additional information/comments.....many of us have done this.....for a newbie it's a nice way to dip one's feet into the water.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-19-22, 09:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Would have bought one but the brand doesn't make them small enough for a kid/small adult to be able to ride. Put the kid on a 46cm frame with a 51cm effective top tube but they had nothing close in size, something that needs to be fixed.
Old 04-24-22, 06:53 PM
guisar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Would have bought one but the brand doesn't make them small enough for a kid/small adult to be able to ride. Put the kid on a 46cm frame with a 51cm effective top tube but they had nothing close in size, something that needs to be fixed.
Hi Russ,

Cat from Habanero here- in addition to the 47 (road) and 48 (gravel) we are producing a 45cm road and would be glad to use dimensions of your child as guidelines for the stack/reach etc. Current frames are good for a lot of people around 160cm or more, the 45cm is planned to suit folks whos toros need a bit less reach. If you're interested, please drop us an email or line (sales@habanero.bike or 480.525.2721) and we'll be glad to do a fitting and see what might work. The other owner is 162cxm herself so we're very serious about fitting all sizes of folks. We also are selling cranks down to 165mm and less to help with toe overlap and strike on frames of all sizes.
Likes For guisar:
Old 04-26-22, 08:13 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by guisar
Hi Russ,

Cat from Habanero here- in addition to the 47 (road) and 48 (gravel) we are producing a 45cm road and would be glad to use dimensions of your child as guidelines for the stack/reach etc. Current frames are good for a lot of people around 160cm or more, the 45cm is planned to suit folks whos toros need a bit less reach. If you're interested, please drop us an email or line (sales@habanero.bike or 480.525.2721) and we'll be glad to do a fitting and see what might work. The other owner is 162cxm herself so we're very serious about fitting all sizes of folks. We also are selling cranks down to 165mm and less to help with toe overlap and strike on frames of all sizes.
Finished building up her cyclocross bike a few weeks ago, went steel.
Old 10-30-23, 11:57 AM
Beanboy

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Keeping this thread alive, since I'll likely be swinging by Habanero next month after the Halloween fans are gone. Looking for a smooth-riding, long-lasting road/endurance bike to use for centuries and occasional club/shop rides. What is offered in 2K to 3K range from the big companies always seem to skimp somewhere.
Old 11-06-23, 04:09 PM
guisar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hab frames

Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
anyone have one of these ridden one or ever seen one.
the Ti road frame is $795.00
Race Team issue is $895.00

They are made in china and he has a nice synopsis/analogy with concerns to these ti frames.

3Al / 2.5V Brushed Titanium Frames from $995
Hi! Owner of Habanero here, glad to answer any questions you may have. I'm biased, of course, since I've been riding my same Nuevo for nearly 30 years with no issues as have lots of other riders (we tend to cater to the durable and sensible niche of folks who also maintain their own bikes).
We recently slightly updated the design to accomodate wider rubber (30mm, up from 25mm) and direct mount front calipers if you choose to use one as well as moving to a tapered heattube (accomodates tapered forks now) and from a seat tab (behind the seat tube ala Vitus style) to a more
traditional seat collar (both using a 27.2 post).

Glad to answer any feel, ride or construction questions you may have!
Old 11-06-23, 04:13 PM
guisar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would say all of our designs are 2-3k for a full build with mechanical drivetrain. It's no news to anyone that the cost of tires, forks and components have gone through the roof over the last few years- we countered by not raising the price of our designs at all (same price as they have been, 1195 for most external routed designs, 1395 for internally routed and 1795 for custom geometry/features) and offering our own forks and components where we've been able to produce something with same or greater quality and less margin than other brands. A 105 spec'd Nuevo will run right around 2.5 - 2.7 with really good components. Electronic drivetrains drive up the cost a lot but everyone is aware of those costs and our markup is less than most.