Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Got a small problem 'down there'...

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 02-28-20, 01:49 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

The past few weeks I've been doing penance on the trainer in the basement until things get warmer and lighter. Not having any real problems or pain while on the bike. The other day I had my physical, and mentioned to the Dr. about the discomfort I have in my nether region. After the 'turn your head and cough' and some probing around, he said I have a hernia. Lucky me! From the brief research I did it usually requires surgery to fix. I go the surgeon on wednesday to have it checked out.
So if I do have to have surgery, can I still ride? or will I have to wait x number of days\weeks\months before I can ride again? Does anybody have any insight from experience about what I'm going to go through. I was really looking forward to riding much more this year than last.
BTW I have no idea how this could have happened!
Old 02-28-20, 02:31 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
The past few weeks I've been doing penance on the trainer in the basement until things get warmer and lighter. Not having any real problems or pain while on the bike. The other day I had my physical, and mentioned to the Dr. about the discomfort I have in my nether region. After the 'turn your head and cough' and some probing around, he said I have a hernia. Lucky me! From the brief research I did it usually requires surgery to fix. I go the surgeon on wednesday to have it checked out.
So if I do have to have surgery, can I still ride? or will I have to wait x number of days\weeks\months before I can ride again? Does anybody have any insight from experience about what I'm going to go through. I was really looking forward to riding much more this year than last.
Had it done many years ago. I wasn't biking at the time. It was repaired outpatient, went home that evening. I doubt you will be riding the next day. Getting up out of bed was.. will let's just say challenging. Spent several minutes trying find a way to get up painlessly, ha. Just bit the bullet and got up. Got progressively easier subsequent days and once up and moving about you are OK. The stopping and stiffening up was the problem. I had mine done on a Thursday, a couple of sick days, back to the office that following Monday. Was able to dance that Friday at the local hangout. As for when to resume cycling, I'd check with your surgeon for guidelines.
Old 02-28-20, 03:26 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Thread moved from 50+ to Pills & Ills.
Old 02-29-20, 12:36 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Reckon many here will have had hernias. Best to get them done ASAP because they can only get bigger. Usually, lifting heavy stuff causes this if you do it incorrectly.
When mine was scheduled, the young dark surgeon fella did a splendid job, old fashioned surgery was considered best with a mesh fitted. the British Health Service being what it was (it's got worse since) I'd had to wait and got to buying restraints for the area affected.
Straight after the op. I was walking around the ward. I never felt pain, just discomfort for a short time. I stayed off the bike for a fortnight, but walked every day since the op.
No problems three years later. The scar too has gone.
Old 02-29-20, 01:35 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
​​​​​Discomfort? I suggest you google up some hernia specific exercise instead of jumping under the knife. I had excruciating pain from an inguinal hernia diagnosed by an actual hernia surgeon. After his exam he said yup you've got a hernia alright come back in five years and we'll talk. Anything before that is considered elective surgery. Targeted exercise has left me symptom and pain free as long as I don't do anything stupid. I realise everybody's case history is different but I have had surgery before and don't relish the idea unless absolutely necessary. On a different note my orthopedic surgeon tells me any doc that tells me that I "need" a knee replacement I should change docs. He said I will know when it's time. I'm holding steady with Diclofenac and Cortisone for now. Everybody's mileage will differ, I know.
Old 04-29-22, 07:25 PM
richardg40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
​​​​​Discomfort? I suggest you google up some hernia specific exercise instead of jumping under the knife. I had excruciating pain from an inguinal hernia diagnosed by an actual hernia surgeon. After his exam he said yup you've got a hernia alright come back in five years and we'll talk. Anything before that is considered elective surgery. Targeted exercise has left me symptom and pain free as long as I don't do anything stupid. I realise everybody's case history is different but I have had surgery before and don't relish the idea unless absolutely necessary. On a different note my orthopedic surgeon tells me any doc that tells me that I "need" a knee replacement I should change docs. He said I will know when it's time. I'm holding steady with Diclofenac and Cortisone for now. Everybody's mileage will differ, I know.

Can you give us examples of hernia targeted exercises that help you get symptoms free of inguinal hernia . Thats what I have and im looking for ideas how to manage to avoid an operation . Thanks .
Old 04-29-22, 08:02 PM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by richardg40
Can you give us examples of hernia targeted exercises that help you get symptoms free of inguinal hernia . Thats what I have and im looking for ideas how to manage to avoid an operation . Thanks .
Think core, lower abdominal, and pelvic floor. As I said tons of websites or if you like youtube, tons of videos at your disposal. This one covers the main ones I use: https://www.webmd.com/digestive-diso...dominal-hernia
And of course cycling helps I believe. Any physical therapist can get you started incrementally if you're in a lot of pain to start with. I still have not had the surgery.
Old 04-29-22, 09:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Check it out: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...l#post22489769
Old 04-30-22, 06:05 AM
richardg40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply , With summer coming I will do more exercise and also exercises lying on my back without the hernia poking out . The only time my hernia hurts is while wearing a truss . Also if im siting for too long in a meeting I have to stand up . Its not pain but just like a numb feeling down there . It doesn t feel good .
Old 04-30-22, 06:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
when I had back issues, the way I got out of bed was to roll onto my front then slide off feet first. easy on the back, easy on the abs
Old 04-30-22, 08:07 AM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by richardg40
Thanks for your reply , With summer coming I will do more exercise and also exercises lying on my back without the hernia poking out . The only time my hernia hurts is while wearing a truss . Also if im siting for too long in a meeting I have to stand up . Its not pain but just like a numb feeling down there . It doesn t feel good .
I started wearing a truss early on. I seldom wear it at all now. Does yours have steel clips and buckles?
Keep your doctor in the loop re: numbness.
Old 04-30-22, 06:54 PM
richardg40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I bought several truss but with velcro . They hurt specially if im driving my car . It digs in too much sitting down .
Old 05-07-22, 02:42 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Hey leob1 Could you give us an update on what the surgeon said?