Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which wheel on mag' trainer would you recommend?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 01:11 PM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looking to keep things simple, don't need smart trainer, won't be connecting it to any apps etc. Also don't need super high resistance, mostly for spinning/cadence (I hyperextended my knee so won't be cranking hard.) Durability and good spinning ability foremost. Any that you've had good luck with?
Old 05-10-22, 01:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You said mag trainer in the title, but if you are open to fluid trainers, I can recommend the Kinetic.
Old 05-10-22, 04:33 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I recommend a Kinetic fluid trainer too. I have one, I use a Wahoo speed and cadence monitor on it to know how far I have ridden.
Old 05-10-22, 05:06 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 408 Posts
Rollers. Get the type with the larger drums for lower resistance. Nothing improves your pedal technique and balance like rollers, you will feel the difference in your riding after your very first workout. It’ll take a few workouts to get the hang of them, but it’s worth the effort.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-10-22, 05:36 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Most of the mag resistance rollers will do the job in that case. You can always increase/decrease resistance by using your gearing. Fluid trainers are arguably quieter and give a slightly better "feel" though if you're open to that option.

Originally Posted by alpharalpha
Also don't need super high resistance, mostly for spinning/cadence (I hyperextended my knee so won't be cranking hard.) Durability and good spinning ability foremost.
Rollers would be quite good for that. They'll have you spinning fast and smooth! I've got an Elite Arion set (the ones with resistance levels, available without also). The dished-shape rollers help keep you centred and make it harder - but not impossible - to slip off the sides.
Old 05-10-22, 06:20 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Dont have much experience with different brands, but several variations of Cycle-ops trainers have served me well over the years

Since everyone "has to have" a smart trainer now, -- i picked up a Cycle-ops fluid trainer for $75 not long ago on marketplace (or maybe it was craigslist - i dunno )
Old 05-11-22, 11:29 AM
alpharalpha

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Dont have much experience with different brands, but several variations of Cycle-ops trainers have served me well over the years

Since everyone "has to have" a smart trainer now, -- i picked up a Cycle-ops fluid trainer for $75 not long ago on marketplace (or maybe it was craigslist - i dunno )
I see the Cyclops fluid2 for sale; How is the resistance on the fluid trainers, can it be adjusted so there's less resistance at higher speeds, or is just set that the faster you pedal the harder it gets?
The reason I mentioned mag' trainers was I thought the resistance could be adjusted lower at higher speeds.
I don't want to put excess strain on my knee but still want to get a good workout by just spinning faster.

(Edit: my other concern with the fluid trainer is the possibility of the fluid leaking.)
Old 05-11-22, 12:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The great thing about fluid trainers is that the resistance increases as the wheel speed increases. Which makes the resistance curve similar to what you'd experience outside. But you can change your cadence by using your lower gears, just as you would on the road. So, drop it into a little gear and spin away.
Old 05-12-22, 10:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I see the Cyclops fluid2 for sale; How is the resistance on the fluid trainers, can it be adjusted so there's less resistance at higher speeds, or is just set that the faster you pedal the harder it gets?
The reason I mentioned mag' trainers was I thought the resistance could be adjusted lower at higher speeds.
I don't want to put excess strain on my knee but still want to get a good workout by just spinning faster.

(Edit: my other concern with the fluid trainer is the possibility of the fluid leaking.)

exactlcaloso said

"The great thing about fluid trainers is that the resistance increases as the wheel speed increases. Which makes the resistance curve similar to what you'd experience outside. But you can change your cadence by using your lower gears, just as you would on the road. So, drop it into a little gear and spin away."

But regarding leaking fluid - got my first one in 1996 and it rode around in the back of my pickup for years as i used it for pre-race warmups almost exclusively. After thousands of cycles of heat and cold, i gave it to a friend and purchased some rollers . The 25 year old Cycle-ops is still in regular service and i got tired of messing with rollers so purchased another Cycle-ops (&75 craigslist deal i mentioned) a few years back and it too is going strong --- but mine only gets used maybe once a week now -- but that i know of neither unit has ever leaked
Likes For DMC707:
Old 05-13-22, 10:59 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Looking to keep things simple, don't need smart trainer, won't be connecting it to any apps etc. Also don't need super high resistance, mostly for spinning/cadence (I hyperextended my knee so won't be cranking hard.) Durability and good spinning ability foremost. Any that you've had good luck with?
I don’t know if this is a problem for any dumb trainers but thought I would air it anyway, My Wahoo Snap will not latch into wheels on frames with OLN narrower than 130 mm. I have a few decent frames which are 126 and even 120. I use them on my early Kurt Kinetic, but I’d like to use them with the Yahoo.