Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

2015 Cannondale Synapse 105-5 disc Al question 🙏

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 04:26 PM
Sp1der11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey all, my first post here. Hope all are well. Am getting back to riding after some years off due to knee and back issues. Fingers crossed !

I’m looking at picking up the bike in the title, and am soliciting opinions on whether or not this might be a good fitness/commuting/occasional century bike.
Anybody have this bike? Likes? Dislikes?

It’s stock, so all 105 with FSA crankset. I can’t find much info on the Maddux 3.0 rims, but haven’t heard many glowing reviews from what I did find. Frame and fork are in nice shape and the components don’t appear to have tons of miles on them from my admittedly limited expertise.

Seller is looking for $800 US (New England region).
How does that sound? Deal? I don’t need a world-beater of a bike, just something reliable and sturdy I can build my fitness back with. I’m 6’3” and currently pushing 260. Unfortunately no funds for a new bike at this time.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Hoping I’ll see you out there soon! ✌️🤙
Old 05-23-22, 06:36 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
I can't speak to that bike specifically, however I have an older (2009) carbon Synapse that I love. It has handled everything I ask of it, even things I probably shouldn't do. Not the lightest, nor the most exciting ride, but predictable, good handling for fast descents, good power transfer when cranking on it. I do wish mine had disc brakes like the one you're looking at.
Old 05-23-22, 08:52 AM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Cannondale normally makes good stuff, and 105 components are really good. If the bike is clean it’s probably a good price. You could always inquire about taking it to the local shop and having it checked. I don’t know about that specific bike.
Old 05-23-22, 02:54 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Saw the O.P.'s size but not the bike size.

If it fits, and secondarily if there's not too much wear on the components, it'll probably be a good bike. Take a tape measure to the chain and then take the bike for a test ride to see what you think. (Tires can be replaced if they're worn.)
Old 05-23-22, 03:53 PM
Sp1der11

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The frame is a 61cm. I found the specs in Cannondale’s archive and it seems to be a good fit.
Old 05-24-22, 11:32 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
That seems like a decent deal. If it fits reasonbly well and you like the way it looks (i.e. you'll want to ride the thing) then I'd get it. I have a 2016 Cannondale and have ridden at weights up to 250lbs, I'm at 235lbs now.

I'd say get it.

Enjoy!
Old 05-24-22, 06:01 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Sp1der11
The frame is a 61cm. I found the specs in Cannondale’s archive and it seems to be a good fit.
What does this mean? That Cannondale make it in 61cm or the one that is being sold is 61cm?
If it truly is a 61cm frame then it may fit you, if your body is a standard size.
Old 05-24-22, 06:18 PM
Sp1der11

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
That seems like a decent deal. If it fits reasonbly well and you like the way it looks (i.e. you'll want to ride the thing) then I'd get it. I have a 2016 Cannondale and have ridden at weights up to 250lbs, I'm at 235lbs now.

I'd say get it.

Enjoy!

I’m going to go for it, thanks!!!
Old 05-24-22, 06:23 PM
Sp1der11

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
What does this mean? That Cannondale make it in 61cm or the one that is being sold is 61cm?
If it truly is a 61cm frame then it may fit you, if your body is a standard size.

Both! The bike being sold is a 61, and I was able to get exact specs from the Cannondale archive.
Old 05-24-22, 06:48 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
My weekend riding friend has a Synapse disc in a 58 from that time period. His has Ultegra Di2 shifting which has worked well for him. This era disc wheels were quick release, not through axle but I can’t say for sure if this ever led to any disc/rotor alignment issues.

If the Maddox wheels were the OEM ones, it might be worth it when you get the bike to take the wheels to a competent wheel builder near you & ask him (or her) to do a tension & true. While you are at it you might start fresh with new rim tape & new tires. Or better yet, budget for some new custom wheels built up that will perform optimally for your current weight and that are fast & strong enough to handle most everything you throw at them.
Your rear disc hub is most likely a 135 quick release disc type - there may be some deals on these of NOS quality hubs on eBay since this spec is being phased out. That size used to be common on disc cyclocross bikes from that era.
If you do build up custom wheels, I suggest a good aluminum rim that is tubeless ready such as a HED Belgium +. Then get tubeless valves & rim tape then have some fun & spec some fat 28, 30 or 32mm width tubeless tires & mount them up with some latex sealant of your choice then go enjoy amassing some biking miles!
Old 05-25-22, 10:11 AM
Sp1der11

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by masi61
My weekend riding friend has a Synapse disc in a 58 from that time period. His has Ultegra Di2 shifting which has worked well for him. This era disc wheels were quick release, not through axle but I can’t say for sure if this ever led to any disc/rotor alignment issues.

If the Maddox wheels were the OEM ones, it might be worth it when you get the bike to take the wheels to a competent wheel builder near you & ask him (or her) to do a tension & true. While you are at it you might start fresh with new rim tape & new tires. Or better yet, budget for some new custom wheels built up that will perform optimally for your current weight and that are fast & strong enough to handle most everything you throw at them.
Your rear disc hub is most likely a 135 quick release disc type - there may be some deals on these of NOS quality hubs on eBay since this spec is being phased out. That size used to be common on disc cyclocross bikes from that era.
If you do build up custom wheels, I suggest a good aluminum rim that is tubeless ready such as a HED Belgium +. Then get tubeless valves & rim tape then have some fun & spec some fat 28, 30 or 32mm width tubeless tires & mount them up with some latex sealant of your choice then go enjoy amassing some biking miles!
Screenshot taken! Thanks so much for this great info!
Likes For Sp1der11:
Old 05-25-22, 05:22 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Hey all, my first post here. Hope all are well. Am getting back to riding after some years off due to knee and back issues. Fingers crossed !

I’m looking at picking up the bike in the title, and am soliciting opinions on whether or not this might be a good fitness/commuting/occasional century bike.
Anybody have this bike? Likes? Dislikes?

It’s stock, so all 105 with FSA crankset. I can’t find much info on the Maddux 3.0 rims, but haven’t heard many glowing reviews from what I did find. Frame and fork are in nice shape and the components don’t appear to have tons of miles on them from my admittedly limited expertise.

Seller is looking for $800 US (New England region).
How does that sound? Deal? I don’t need a world-beater of a bike, just something reliable and sturdy I can build my fitness back with. I’m 6’3” and currently pushing 260. Unfortunately no funds for a new bike at this time.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Hoping I’ll see you out there soon! ✌️🤙
Fitness/commuting/ occasional century -- sounds just what the Synapse was made for.

$800 sounds like a LOT for the aluminum model, but prices have been goofed up since covid hit. I sold my 2013 Synapse 105 carbon in 2018 for $550 as an example --- but then again , that was pre Covid America

You probably need about the biggest frame they made if your'e 6'3 which shows to be a size 61
Old 05-25-22, 05:22 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Both! The bike being sold is a 61, and I was able to get exact specs from the Cannondale archive.
didnt see this -- Good call