Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-02-17, 07:47 PM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

After posting a bunch of my pics in the "Post pics of your hybrid" thread I thought it would be nice to have a separate thread for the very versatile Trek Multitracks!

So, anyone who owns or has owned a Trek Multitrack, feel free to post some pics of your bike(s), tell us of your adventures, or even keep us updated on exciting new parts and accessories you have added to your Trek!

I will start it off with a few pics:

I am pretty sure this is the first Multitrack I had, a 700. Obviously lots of upgrades and accessories. Drop bars, rack,fenders, trunk bag,etc. In this pic, it is pulling our first children's trailer with my daughter inside. I think she was 6 months old there, and she will be turning 6 years old at the end of this month!

(pic has been temporarily missplaced)

Somehow I don't have any pics of my other Multitrack I had in between, but I do have plenty of pics of my new 720 Multitrack.

This is soon after me purchasing the 720. I bought it from a bike shop less than a mile from my house, that had acquired it as a trade in.

Then I started really upgrading-

And this is where I am currently at-

So far I have changed/added- New takeoff seatpost, Gyes leather saddle, tool roll underneath the saddle, 1x7 of 8 drivetrain, Fuji takeoff mountain handlebars, random v brakes from my parts bin, Tektro levers, threadless stem converter with high rise stem, non branded ergo grips, Stashers top tube bag, cheap "feedbags", Widefoot Designs litercage, Morakniv knife on one side of fork and Lezyne HV Drive pump on the other, and so on... I actually have a front rack setup that should be shipping to me soon, and a couple other little things I want to add still. I use this bike as a really a "do most" vehicle, with plenty of pavement, dirt roads, singletrack and whatever else I find while wandering around.

Ok, enough about my bike, lets see what everyone else has!

Last edited by sarahbruce; 11-09-18 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For sarahbruce:
Old 07-02-17, 08:42 PM
rhenry01

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Rockhopper, '91 Trek 700 M-T, '93 Trek 720 M-T, '93 Cannondale M500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1993 Trek 720 Multi-Track

Here is my Multi-Track. I picked it up on a trip through Madison Wisconsin late last year. I put is some hours tuning it up and truing the wheels. I put on new tires, tubes, CX-70 Cantis and a great saddle. This bike rides pretty good given its age and relative entry level position in the market at the time. Since this picture was taken I have also put a set of purple Race Face Chester pedals on it. I have used it to commute to my job a time or two. It sees most of it's miles chasing my grandson around the neighborhood on his bike.

I must admit that this thing is a beast to pedal into a headwind. I think it would benefit greatly from an updated set of rims and a new drivetrain. But it's just too nice a bike to update too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
720 resize.jpg (96.3 KB, 4577 views)
Likes For rhenry01:
Old 07-03-17, 01:02 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the opportunity to show off my winter project bike - a 1997 Trek 730 MultiTrack. Bought cheap and neglected. Many hours of cleaning, lubing and adjusting and now it rides like a champ.
Attached Images
PICT0991a.jpg (98.4 KB, 4462 views)
PICT0992a.jpg (97.4 KB, 4377 views)
Likes For ModeratedUser17082018:
Old 07-03-17, 06:25 AM
sarahbruce

Originally Posted by rhenry01
Here is my Multi-Track. I picked it up on a trip through Madison Wisconsin late last year.
Really nice, I have always liked Treks two-toned paint jobs!
Bruce
Old 07-03-17, 06:30 AM
sarahbruce

Originally Posted by SpinThrift
Thanks for the opportunity to show off my winter project bike - a 1997 Trek 730 MultiTrack. Bought cheap and neglected. Many hours of cleaning, lubing and adjusting and now it rides like a champ.
Looks like a very meticulous overhaul and upgrades! How do you like those Ergon pedals? I have eyeballed them a few times online, but am unsure if I will like the design, and the fact that they run on bushing seems interesting.
Bruce
Old 07-03-17, 09:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Okay, twist my arm!

I bought this beauty for $65 a month or two ago. It's a 1997 750.

It had rock-hard brake pads, so I took those off before these pictures, and I've actually got some Mini-V brakes on it now, with Shimano EF51 brake/shifter combos. I'm still working on the setup, though. More to follow.

Beautiful MultiTracks, everyone!
Old 07-03-17, 09:40 AM
sarahbruce

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Okay, twist my arm!

I bought this beauty for $65 a month or two ago. It's a 1997 750.
Woah! I am very jealous! That is a beauty! I don't see very many of the higher end numbers locally. It's all 700s and 720s. What a score!
Bruce
Old 07-03-17, 01:26 PM
fire

Bikes: '09 Diamondback Insight 1, '05 Trek 3700 ( now a hybrid street/cross trail bike), (Vintage model) Kent Supreme 10 speed road cruiser, BMX (just for fun), Trek Multitrack 720 and a homebuilt recumbent low-rider.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very impressed with the pics that have been posted so far, looks like we have our own Multitrack subculture!

As promised - a couple of my 720.
Attached Images
IMG_1593.jpg (97.6 KB, 4542 views)
IMG_1594.jpg (97.2 KB, 4463 views)
IMG_1596.jpg (97.7 KB, 4457 views)
Old 07-03-17, 02:04 PM
sarahbruce

Originally Posted by fire
I'm very impressed with the pics that have been posted so far, looks like we have our own Multitrack subculture!

As promised - a couple of my 720.
Nice 720! Looks like a great setup!
Bruce
Old 07-03-17, 07:06 PM
fire

Bikes: '09 Diamondback Insight 1, '05 Trek 3700 ( now a hybrid street/cross trail bike), (Vintage model) Kent Supreme 10 speed road cruiser, BMX (just for fun), Trek Multitrack 720 and a homebuilt recumbent low-rider.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarahbruce
Nice 720! Looks like a great setup!
Bruce
Thanks, Bruce.

It's basically a paved trail/roads only bike now, very unlike yours. 😉
I have a 3700 which is very much my off-road/on-road/street/go anywhere, bike, so this one became my alternative hybrid,(from the diamondback), and now my wife rides it even more than me when we go to the withlacoochee trail, or any of the other rail trails.
When I bought it 6 years ago (yard sale, from someone who hadn't taken care of it at all), it was stock, filthy, unlubricated, had the original (cracked) stock tyres and rode horribly. Even after new tyres I couldn't seem to make it go at all without feeling exhausted, and put it down to the gearing. It felt like riding in treacle, and was uncomfortable in the riding position, probably because the bars were too high for my riding position.
I ended up trying some 25's street tyres that could stand 120lbs, changing the bars and it went great after that.
I replaced both wheel hub bearings and put a new chain on. The stock bars I replaced with some shiny silver unbranded flat mtb bars (goes with the wheels and seat post), and the round half grips with generic ergo grips. I finished the "cockpit" off with the bar ends which I stretched some inner tube over and doubled it up.
I changed the saddle out for a mongoose mtb saddle, and the pedals replaced with (again) generics from my LBS, mainly because the bearings in the originals were shot, too.
A couple of black ali water bottle cages, a Topeak rack and bag (Craigslist 25 bucks) and that's about it.
I'll eventually put a computer on and I'd like to do what you did with the threadless head, and some thumb shifters.

It took a lot of effort originally just to make it look shiny, and cleaning the wheels and spokes tested my patience a bit, but that thing has since been my favourite bike (of the small collection) to look at.
Old 07-04-17, 03:26 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Looks like a very meticulous overhaul and upgrades! How do you like those Ergon pedals? I have eyeballed them a few times online, but am unsure if I will like the design, and the fact that they run on bushing seems interesting.
Bruce
Thanks for the kind words. The bike was a filthy mess when I bought it but was all there and all stock. I'm trying to keep as many stock parts as I can, but functionality rules above all else.

I have the Ergon pedals on both of my bikes and like them alot. They cradle my feet nicely and seem to draw my feet into the correct position. My feet never leave contact with the pedals. No sharp pins or serrated edges for foot traction. Wear any shoes to ride. I don't know anything about the bushings, but I have no problems with the pedals. You know stuff is working right if you never think about it while riding.
Attached Images
PICT0988.jpg (98.7 KB, 4335 views)

Last edited by ModeratedUser17082018; 07-04-17 at 03:29 AM. Reason: added a picture!
Old 07-04-17, 05:46 AM
hokiefyd 

Those are cool pedals! I'm with you in preferring large platform pedals because I can use any shoes to ride and, if I'm honest, I'm not out there putting 1,500 watts into the pedals where foot location is critical! Thanks for the pics!
Old 07-04-17, 08:25 AM
rhenry01

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Rockhopper, '91 Trek 700 M-T, '93 Trek 720 M-T, '93 Cannondale M500

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The big brother to my Trek 720 is this 1991 Trek 700. It's a drop bar conversion with a 10-speed Shimano 105 drivetrain. It has Tiagra STI's and Avid cantilever brakes. When I finish this bike it will be my flat-trail/gravel bike.

Likes For rhenry01:
Old 07-04-17, 10:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Very clean!! Can you post a close-up of the front brake cable stop you have, that mounts to the brake hole in the fork? Looks like a neat trick for using cantis with drops that extend so far forward.
Old 07-04-17, 10:59 AM
rhenry01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Very clean!! Can you post a close-up of the front brake cable stop you have, that mounts to the brake hole in the fork? Looks like a neat trick for using cantis with drops that extend so far forward.
Here is a link to it's amazon page:

Origin8 Brake Mount

Last edited by rhenry01; 07-04-17 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 11:27 AM
sarahbruce

Originally Posted by rhenry01
The big brother to my Trek 720 is this 1991 Trek 700. It's a drop bar conversion with a 10-speed Shimano 105 drivetrain. It has Tiagra STI's and Avid cantilever brakes. When I finish this bike it will be my flat-trail/gravel bike.

Holey moley! This looks fantastic! Can you tell us more about the paint job? I am guessing powdercoat...
Bruce
Old 07-04-17, 02:44 PM
rhenry01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Holey moley! This looks fantastic! Can you tell us more about the paint job? I am guessing powdercoat...
Bruce
Yep, powdercoat. I had it done at a place called Ricks Powdercoat in Memphis, TN. Frame and fork was $100 with no prep work. I just delivered the frame and fork (minus all the parts that bolt to it) and they media blasted it and powdercoated it. I don't remember what the color was (just a bunch of numbers) but he has a good selection. You can google him and look at the colors available. I'm sure that any reputable powdercoating shop can get any of the colors and will probably have about the same price .... or better.
Old 07-04-17, 04:27 PM
hokiefyd 

That's beautiful, and I think 100 bucks with no pre-prep is a great price!
Old 07-04-17, 04:28 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got this from a customer who is in his early 70's and wanted something lighter.
It's got about 6,000 (really) miles on it and mostly good shape other than the wheel bearing cones.
I bought some tools and new cones and went to work on it.
The tires are the original tires off my Roam3 , I transferred my running goodies to it ( pump,bottle cages,pedals)
and it rides great.

The bars didn't work for me so I installed trekking bars , the saddle was hosed so I grabbed a bontrager saddle from my local LBS used bin.
So far so good , I really like the ride , the frame is quite flexible compared to the roam3 , but is smoother overall.
My customer was going to donate the bike , so I got him to donate it to me .....
The frame is a 58CM-23" and the standover is 32.5" , I can still straddle it at 5'6" (long legs) so I lucked out there too.
Mick
Old 07-04-17, 05:18 PM
sarahbruce

Originally Posted by mickw
So far so good , I really like the ride , the frame is quite flexible compared to the roam3 , but is smoother overall.
My customer was going to donate the bike , so I got him to donate it to me .....
The frame is a 58CM-23" and the standover is 32.5" , I can still straddle it at 5'6" (long legs) so I lucked out there too.
Mick
Haha, I am about 3 1/2" taller than you, but would not be even close to straddling that bike! I am the opposite of you, short legs and long torso... That is a great looking bike though, love the dark green!
Bruce
Old 07-04-17, 08:06 PM
hokiefyd 

Mick, I'm really interested in learning more about your trekking handlebar setup. I'm considering the same for my 750. The stock stem on the 750 is relatively short, but with a longish reach (120mm), so I'm pretty leaned over riding it, and I get some hand pain. I've been thinking of butterfly bars with foam grip like what you have. Could you post some more pictures of your cockpit setup? Curious to know what brake levers/shifters you're using, etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-04-17, 08:50 PM
mickw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rhenry01 , that is a beautiful green , I love it.
Thanks Bruce , I forgot to mention the bottom bracket was pretty hosed so I bought a couple tools and replaced it with a Shimano BB UN55 sealed unit , a 68x123 size was perfect.
I'm going to slightly cut away the kickstand plate to allow clearance for taller tires.
The Giant SX4 700x40 fit pretty good.
I have a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour in 700x40 which are taller and need a bit more room.
I run over lots of glass and metal debris where I ride , the plus tires are about bullet proof , though slower.
Keep the pics coming , it's a great thread going here.
I had to dump photobucket for picture posting , postimage seems to work pretty good.
Mick
Old 07-04-17, 09:01 PM
mickw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hokiefyd , the bike is a 2001 model with an adjustable quill type stem.
I'll get some pics this week of the setup.
The shifter/brakes are the stock twist shift setup.
I think the rubber sleeves are sunlite drop bar foam grips , I used all 4 and mounted them with compressed air (easy).
I was looking for a larger frame for the increased stack height , which makes the bars seem higher naturally.
I have the numb hand thing , thats why the trekking bars work for me.
Funny thing is the cockpit feels shorter than my smaller roam3 for some reason , but it feels better.
Mick
Old 07-04-17, 09:02 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rhenry01 , that is a beautiful green , I love it.
Thanks Bruce , I forgot to mention the bottom bracket was pretty hosed so I bought a couple tools and replaced it with a Shimano BB UN55 sealed unit , a 68x123 size was perfect.
I'm going to slightly cut away the kickstand plate to allow clearance for taller tires.
The Giant SX4 700x40 fit pretty good.
I have a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour in 700x40 which are taller and need a bit more room.
I run over lots of glass and metal debris where I ride , the plus tires are about bullet proof , though slower.
Keep the pics coming , it's a great thread going here.
I had to dump photobucket for picture posting , postimage seems to work pretty good.
Mick
What's the overall weight of the bike after putting the Roam3 wheels?
Old 07-05-17, 05:45 AM
hokiefyd 

I was looking for a larger frame for the increased stack height , which makes the bars seem higher naturally. I have the numb hand thing , thats why the trekking bars work for me. Funny thing is the cockpit feels shorter than my smaller roam3 for some reason , but it feels better.
Thanks -- I'd really appreciate some detailed photos of it.

I get the tingling hands after about 30 minutes of riding. I'm playing with various handlebar and saddle height settings. My Verve has an adjustable quill stem, so I can test all sorts of different combinations on that bike. I think that keeping my bars down to keep more weight off the saddle will be best, but I need to find a bar that will be more comfortable to me than my current setup (which is the stock Trek bar with Ergon GP3 grips).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.