Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendation Bike Rack for Truck / SUV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 07:40 PM
RedmondSteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for recommendations. We want a bike rack to mount on our vehicle. At the moment we own a Tacoma Truck (with a tow hitch), but that's leased and we'll probably get a RAV 4 (also with tow hitch). I want one that would be easy to put onto either vehicle, and is easy to swing out of the way so that you can access the rear of the vehicle when needed without a lot of hassle. I used to use a Yakima roof rack, and that was fine, but I'm getting too old for lifting the bike up onto the roof. I don't mind if its a higher end price model, if it's worth the money. One I saw was the Yakima Full Swing. I'm indifferent to manufacturer (except I like made in USA, but assume probably none of them are). For 2 bikes is enough.
Old 06-03-21, 07:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
1UP is all you need to look at. I love the fact that I can take on of the racks off if I only need to haul a single bike...I have a Honda Ridgeline and the rack allows full backup camera when folded up ....

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 06-03-21, 07:48 PM
RedmondSteve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you
Old 06-03-21, 09:54 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
If you can get past the price, the Küat hitch rack is amazingly good.

https://www.kuat.com/category/bike/

Old 06-03-21, 11:23 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I have a Thule four bike swing out (forget the model name) that I've had for over a decade on my RAV4. The swing out feature is great but its also kind of a PITA to the poing of me not wanting to open the trunk.

Also, every time I've put more than two bikes on it I've gotten frame scratches due to bikes rubbing into each other (only did this with aluminum frame bikes) - I wish I had gotten a "wheel cradle" type rack to prevent the bikes from touching each other. For one or two bikes its great. Beyond that i'm not putting my carbon frame bikes on it. But for one bike I prefer putting the seat down and putting it in the vehicle as its easier and safer.

YMMV
Old 06-04-21, 06:43 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
I’ve been using Kuat racks for some time now. Fit and finish is right up there with 1UP. For two bikes, the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 is a great option. Aluminum construction made it light and easy enough to move around.
Kuat has the NV 2.0 as well which you can add the extension for 2 more bikes if needed.
I wouldn’t have the sold the Sherpa but I needed to upgrade to the NV 2.0 4-bike carrier since our children are all riding now too.
Old 06-04-21, 06:59 AM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 for my 4Runner. I only put it on when we transport the bikes, but its light, super easy to install/remove, and stores easily in the garage.

Very happy with it.
Likes For Jagamov:
Old 06-04-21, 08:02 AM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3; Trek Boone 5; Raleigh Revenio; Fuji Altamira

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
1UP is made in Wisconsin and is a great rack if you are not in a hurry to get one. I was on a waiting list to order one for about 4 weeks and then it took another two weeks to receive it after I placed my order. Very impressed with the quality so far. Easy to install onto my vehicle and it has to be the easiest rack for loading/unloading bikes.
Likes For Gunther20:
Old 07-27-23, 10:58 PM
Laurine

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which rack did you decide on?
I have a 2011 Rav 4 and I am looking for a hitch mount bike rack.
I contacted Thule and the Thule Rep said they could not recommend one.
The closest was the T2 Pro XTR or the T2 Pro X which require 1.125" minimum hitch pin hole depth.
I have 1.0625.
Also concerned about the bumper clearance.
Old 07-28-23, 02:31 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Laurine
Which rack did you decide on?
I have a 2011 Rav 4 and I am looking for a hitch mount bike rack.
I contacted Thule and the Thule Rep said they could not recommend one.
The closest was the T2 Pro XTR or the T2 Pro X which require 1.125" minimum hitch pin hole depth.
I have 1.0625.
Also concerned about the bumper clearance.
My 2012 RAV (also with the rear-mounted spare) works well with the Thule Spare Me rack, which takes 2 bikes. I can roll a 3rd bike inside with one rear seat down, so I can easily transport 3 diamond-frame bikes and 3 riders. Easy on/off, no hitch required.
HTH.
Old 07-28-23, 03:19 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Keep your eyes out for used Kuat racks. I bought new but they are the last rack you’ll need. Rock solid. One interesting observation relating to rear hitch racks; the location placed the front tray fairly close to the tailpipe on my Hyundai SantaFe. Going up a very long hill the exhaust was hot enough to melt some of the plastic parts. Bought an adapter to raise the rack but I’m curious if others have had this problem.
Old 07-28-23, 07:00 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I've had a 1UpUSA for 8 or 9 years. It's still basically like new - they're that well made. But yeah, can be a long lead time.

Likes For Zaskar:
Old 07-28-23, 10:13 AM
Laurine

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
My 2012 RAV (also with the rear-mounted spare) works well with the Thule Spare Me rack, which takes 2 bikes. I can roll a 3rd bike inside with one rear seat down, so I can easily transport 3 diamond-frame bikes and 3 riders. Easy on/off, no hitch required.
HTH.
That is so helpful!
Thank you - I will check into that option!
Once the rack is installed, are you still able to use the cover for the spare tire?
Old 07-28-23, 11:36 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
Laurine You have to remove the spare tire cover to install the rack.
You need to mount the accompanying backing plate (with square shaft that accepts rack) behind the spare just the first time. That stays there and is not in the way of anything. The rack itself goes on and off in a couple minutes. Easy to remove it when not needed, then put the spare tire cover back on.

When I mentioned rolling a 3rd bike into the hatch area with one rear seat down, I should have also mentioned that it is easy if it is a drop-bar bike going in there. You just tilt it to get thru the hatch doorway. A straight handlebar bike is less convenient to roll in.

Last edited by NJgreyhead; 07-29-23 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Corrected info about how rack is mounted.
Old 07-28-23, 01:06 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Check the weight of the rack plus the swing away mechanism. Not a problem if you leave them both 100% of the time on the vehicle but a pain otherwise. The Kuat are the heaviest of this type and a turn-off for me for that reason alone.

Highly recommend the Hollywood Racks "rack valet" that holds either 1-1/4 or 2 inch racks and has four lockable wheels. It makes it a lot easier to move a rack or to store it in the garage.

I use a 1UP rack and it tilts out of the way to gain access to the rear of the vehicle. I added a 8-inch extension bar to the hitch receiver to gain extra clearance for the back door to open unimpeded.
Old 07-30-23, 06:07 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Take a look at RockyMounts options. I have a single bike carrier on a Honda Fit (1.25" receiver) and my friend has a double bike on his Honda CRV (2" receiver.) They fold up when not in use and will tilt down when loaded to allow the rear hatch to be opened. Don't know how well that would work with a tailgate, though.