Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Resting Surly Bike On Forks

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-16-21, 03:21 AM
Champ340

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hey guys, I was recently doing some maintenance on my Midnight Special and had the wheels off with the bike resting on bottom bracket and forks. Thru axles were installed at the time. Bike was resting on carpeted garage floor.

It wasn't until later I read the Surly Maintenance page and it mentioned 3 times not to rest bike on forks.

Could I have done damage? How would I know? It seems like overkill to me and written by a lawyer but I would be interested in everyone's opinions.
Old 06-16-21, 04:00 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ340
Hey guys, I was recently doing some maintenance on my Midnight Special and had the wheels off with the bike resting on bottom bracket and forks. Thru axles were installed at the time. Bike was resting on carpeted garage floor.

It wasn't until later I read the Surly Maintenance page and it mentioned 3 times not to rest bike on forks.

Could I have done damage? How would I know? It seems like overkill to me and written by a lawyer but I would be interested in everyone's opinions.
​​​​​​Well if it can't support it's own weight.
​​​​​​What contacts the floor?
I think you would already know if it was damaged.
Old 06-16-21, 04:04 AM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
​​​​​​Well if it can't support it's own weight.
​​​​​​What contacts the floor?
I think you would already know if it was damaged.
It rests on the fork dropouts.
Old 06-16-21, 04:26 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
It rests on the fork dropouts.
So there can only be paint damage. What else can there be unless you jumped up and down on it.
I presume a person or persons have damaged the fork and Surly covered themselves against it.
Likes For blamester:
Old 06-16-21, 04:33 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
On a thru axle fork, with the axle installed, the worst that could happen is chipped paint. That warning goes back to the days of QR forks with open dropouts that could be bent from hammering on a crown race with the dropouts on the floor.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 06-16-21, 05:26 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Pretty easy to tip your bike over and bend/dent something.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 06-16-21, 05:42 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
This is a non-issue. Reminds me of lawyer-lips.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 06-16-21, 06:46 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Surly has some odd warnings sometimes. Weren't they the ones who wrote a long blog explanation about why you can't put kickstands on their bikes?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-16-21, 07:18 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I also have a Midnight Special. This is not a delicate fork and you would have to really pound on those fork tips to damage them. I wouldn't drop it (or any fork) onto a hard surface from an appreciable height and certainly wouldn't rest the fork on it's dropouts while pounding on a crown race setter but otherwise the warning is just lawyer-speak.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-16-21, 08:10 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Surly has some odd warnings sometimes. Weren't they the ones who wrote a long blog explanation about why you can't put kickstands on their bikes?
They do seem to enjoy tongue-in-cheek fun in their literature, but my understanding is that a kickstand clamped on a LHT's chainstays could easily crush the tube. They now make a pair of brackets with curved faces to spread out the load on the tubes from the kickstand clamp.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-16-21, 01:16 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks alot guys for the replies. Gives me peace of mind. The whole reason I brought a Surly was so I wouldn't have to baby it like my carbon bikes.

​​​
Likes For Champ340:
Old 06-16-21, 01:46 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I also have a Midnight Special. This is not a delicate fork and you would have to really pound on those fork tips to damage them. I wouldn't drop it (or any fork) onto a hard surface from an appreciable height and certainly wouldn't rest the fork on it's dropouts while pounding on a crown race setter but otherwise the warning is just lawyer-speak.
Thanks for that. I would be interested to know your opinions of the MS. Any areas to keep an eye on especially. Did you use any form of rust protection on the inside of the frame?
Old 06-16-21, 02:04 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
It does seem to be an odd warning.
Old 06-16-21, 02:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
Who has carpeting in their garage?
Old 06-16-21, 03:04 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Haha great question. It's pretty common in New Zealand. Garage specific carpet.
Likes For Champ340:
Old 06-16-21, 03:53 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
Haha great question. It's pretty common in New Zealand. Garage specific carpet.
Interesting. Not going to work around here with winter, dropping snow boogers off the car, not to mention me welding and torching in my garage.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-16-21, 04:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,013 Times in 3,790 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I do. Part of it, anyway. My garage is not used for cars. Currently, it's a multi-purpose room that includes a woodworking/shop area, a workout area, a music studio, and a bike area. The half with music and bike stuff has thin carpet and a couple of cheap rugs covering the concrete floor. There's also a beer fridge and a small sofa.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-17-21 at 09:23 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 06-16-21, 07:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Don't listen to the others, that bike is certainly trashed, send it my way and I will properly and safely dispose of it according to Surly spec.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-16-21, 08:50 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Thanks for that. I would be interested to know your opinions of the MS. Any areas to keep an eye on especially. Did you use any form of rust protection on the inside of the frame?
I like mine a lot and I'm happy I bought it. Nothing particular to be concerned about and no weaknesses. It is not a lightweight but Surly frames are not bought for minimal weight.

I did treat all of the frame and fork tube internals, like I do with all steel frames, with Amsoil HDMP. It's an identical product to Weigle's Frame Saver but a bigger can for less money and you can get it at any NAPA auto parts dealer. I ride in all kinds of weather and the peace of mind is worth the minor cost and effort to rust proof it.
Old 06-17-21, 01:55 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I like mine a lot and I'm happy I bought it. Nothing particular to be concerned about and no weaknesses. It is not a lightweight but Surly frames are not bought for minimal weight.

I did treat all of the frame and fork tube internals, like I do with all steel frames, with Amsoil HDMP. It's an identical product to Weigle's Frame Saver but a bigger can for less money and you can get it at any NAPA auto parts dealer. I ride in all kinds of weather and the peace of mind is worth the minor cost and effort to rust proof it.
Great thanks I'll do the same. How often will you reapply?
Old 06-17-21, 05:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Don't listen to the others, that bike is certainly trashed, send it my way and I will properly and safely dispose of it according to Surly spec.
Heck yeah! I was hoping you would chime in because the original topic of this thread particularly calls for your signature: steel is indeed real.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-17-21, 06:22 PM
HillRider

I don't. I treat the frames and forks heavily using two applications about 48 hours apart and rotate them frequently while they they drying. I do this when everything is new and before the bike is built up. After that the frame is considered protected for life.

I have a 1983 Trek 400 frame I bought used in the early 1990's and Amsoil treated it and the fork right after I bought it. It was my rain / bad weather bike for 15 years and then rebuilt as a fixie for my son-in-law. It's still in great shape with no retreatment.
Old 06-18-21, 04:42 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I don't. I treat the frames and forks heavily using two applications about 48 hours apart and rotate them frequently while they they drying. I do this when everything is new and before the bike is built up. After that the frame is considered protected for life.

I have a 1983 Trek 400 frame I bought used in the early 1990's and Amsoil treated it and the fork right after I bought it. It was my rain / bad weather bike for 15 years and then rebuilt as a fixie for my son-in-law. It's still in great shape with no retreatment.
I'll have to try that stuff from NAPA if I get a chance. I think I read somewhere that Surly frames have some coating inside, but when I tried to find confirmation of that on their site, all I found was an article recommending that their frames be treated with a sticky-oil coating product such as JP Wiegle, or motor fogging oil. I've used the Framesaver, but in my experience, Fluidfilm works equally as good - or better - and its way cheaper. Its also a little easier on your nose. It still stinks, but its way less stinky than Framesaver. Not an issue unless you suffer from MCS.
Old 06-18-21, 08:54 AM
HillRider

If the odor of Weigel's Frame Saver bothers you, the Amsoil HDMP will too as it exactly the same product. I've always used it outside laying down newspapers (remember them?) under the frame to catch the overspray and minor leakage.
Old 06-18-21, 09:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've always used it outside laying down newspapers (remember them?) under the frame to catch the overspray and minor leakage.
Honestly, the last time I used Frame Saver, I specifically had to go to a gas station just to get a Sunday paper for the purpose of overspray and plugging the tubes (I think that was also the last time I've bought a Sunday paper for myself). Was about to build up a new steel frame and hunted down my half-used can and was thinking about having to wait until Sunday to get another big paper when I found a different frame to use instead. The next time the in-laws come for the weekend, I'll have to save the paper after they go as we always get one for them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.