Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 10:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
I think the gap between 1978 and today is so big that denying just how great most of the changes have been is just being curmudgeonly. BUT a lot of the biggest changes happened before 1995. Think about it - by 1995, we had Hyperglide, SIS, brifters, and dual pivot brakes. Those were big leaps. Everything since then is more incremental. The difference in performance - not just speed, but all aspects of performance - between my 1982 Lotus and my 1996 Ritchey is bigger than the gap between the Ritchey and the 2020 Canyon.

Oh, and I can work on all my bikes myself with simple tools. I actually had to buy MORE specialized tools for the older bikes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-29-21, 10:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I suspect each of us thinks that forty years of innovation and who knows what expense yielding a 4-minute difference after 25 miles rather makes their point.

That's what, bad timing luck at two traffic lights?
For me it's not so much the 4 min speed improvement. It's the way the bike actually rides and handles. 40 years of development has improved both of those aspects quite significantly IMHO. The engineering is so much more refined too, although maybe you need to be an engineer to appreciate that aspect.
Old 06-29-21, 10:29 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I heard those newfangled "metric" wrenches and hex sockets are pretty complicated. After all, they build airplanes and rockets with them!
Well, I guess I *do* have some complicated tools!
Old 06-29-21, 10:32 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by ksryder
Right? By the logic of these types of threads we should all be content with our 16" screen B&W Zenith televisions and AM mono car radios.
CAR???? You drive a car? What's wrong with a horse and buggy?
Old 06-29-21, 10:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by PeteHski
For me it's not so much the 4 min speed improvement. It's the way the bike actually rides and handles. 40 years of development has improved both of those aspects quite significantly IMHO. The engineering is so much more refined too, although maybe you need to be an engineer to appreciate that aspect.
Exactly. Difference in time over the same route is just one metric. Call it efficiency - the newer bike is just better at converting my effort into forward motion

Old 06-29-21, 10:41 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
How many actually prefer the newer look of threadless stems vs the legacy stuff?
There is probably some tiny incremental improvement that comes with threadless stems over quill.... That we'll soon be able to read about. That seems to be the theme of this thread.
Old 06-29-21, 10:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I missed the shifting of the goalposts. Did you see it?

First it was
This is theoretically 1% faster than that stuff is just pointless for the average person.
But when I demonstrated a 5% difference between 1982 and 2020 bikes, i.e. 5 times as much difference, it became...
... forty years of innovation and who knows what expense yielding a 4-minute difference...

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-29-21, 10:42 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
By far, the most drastic change for me in 40 years is my damn budget.
Old 06-29-21, 10:47 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
By far, the most drastic change for me in 40 years is my damn budget.
good news! you probably could finance a new bicycle!
Old 06-29-21, 10:49 AM
MattTheHat 

The difference in usability between a small CRT and say a 21-24 inch modern flatscreen is immediately apparent, nevermind the more serious issue of energy usage and the never quite settled x-ray concern that put several pounds of lead in the glass of each.

What aspect of an older steel frame bike comes close to that for an ordinary user? And if you do find something, what prevented that specific aspect from being addressed in isolation?

A lot of the features being pushed are more like the "smart TV" idea - which sounds great, but doesn't necessarily enhance most users experience over a chosen stand alone streaming box, creates vendor/provider lock in, makes you a data source, precludes maintainability, and creates many new often seen failure modes leading to embarrassingly short service life for the whole purchased product.

​​​​​One of the main thing to realize with the smart TV trend is that manufacturers do it as a distraction and to have something to "differentiate" when the process of showing pixels on glass is fairly consistent across brands within a given size and price tier. There may be differences a buyer should be paying attention to, but the smart features are a big dog-and-pony show distraction to keep attention away from matters of substance.
​​​​
So with a bike, what people should be asking is if it fits, has the gearing and can take the tires for their desired riding, then durability, parts standardization, if they're going to be able to self maintain or what that's going to cost. When was the last time feature-driven marketing wasn't designed specifically to conceal or even intentionally frustrate those last points?
As a unicyclist, at least you practice what you preach. I respect that. You don't even have two wheels!

Riding a lightweight bicycle that's comfortable, responsive, shifts flawlessly, never flats and stops well is very enjoyable. I didn't get there until I got away from steel and aluminum frame bicycles. And it didn't happen until I went tubeless, disk brakes, electronic shifting and a few other things. I spent 640 hours on my two bikes last year. I'm good with all my "unnecessary" exotic materials and electronic wizardry.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-29-21, 10:49 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago?
A 2021 road bike is still maintainable with simple tools bought today.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-29-21, 10:50 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago? Is much of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge. Eg, Is carbon anything as an anti-feature.​ ?
What do YOU think?

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-29-21, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
However when you look, there are plenty of new low priced bikes out there..
Well, not if you look now.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-29-21, 11:02 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
The difference in usability between a small CRT and say a 21-24 inch modern flatscreen is immediately apparent, nevermind the more serious issue of energy usage and the never quite settled x-ray concern that put several pounds of lead in the glass of each.

What aspect of an older steel frame bike comes close to that for an ordinary user? And if you do find something, what prevented that specific aspect from being addressed in isolation?

A lot of the features being pushed are more like the "smart TV" idea - which sounds great, but doesn't necessarily enhance most users experience over a chosen stand alone streaming box, creates vendor/provider lock in, makes you a data source, precludes maintainability, and creates many new often seen failure modes leading to embarrassingly short service life for the whole purchased product.

​​​​​One of the main thing to realize with the smart TV trend is that manufacturers do it as a distraction and to have something to "differentiate" when the process of showing pixels on glass is fairly consistent across brands within a given size and price tier. There may be differences a buyer should be paying attention to, but the smart features are a big dog-and-pony show distraction to keep attention away from matters of substance.
​​​​
So with a bike, what people should be asking is if it fits, has the gearing and can take the tires for their desired riding, then durability, parts standardization, if they're going to be able to self maintain or what that's going to cost. When was the last time feature-driven marketing wasn't designed specifically to conceal or even intentionally frustrate those last points?
The smart tv reminds me of the car-puter phase. It wasn't big, or widespread, but people were building car-puters well in to the 00s, now there's no need. I wanted one just for all my music back then. I found a device that was short-lived by Pioneer that was basically like a trunk mounted cd changer, but uses proprietary harddrives, that worked with one or two of their headunits. Woulda been perfect, but around that time they started making headunits with usb ports and SD slots, rendering it and the carputers it was outmoding, outmodded.

I saved a fairly large tower to rebuild and make part of my entertainment system, it would do what a computer does, play music, surf the internet, all that. It hadn't pinged in my head that such a thing was already happening, with dvd players that you could plug a usd drive in to, and the advent of the Xbox- which played dvds and could store music by ripping CDs. Even the Playstation could be used as a web browser. Game consoles basically turned in to what I wanted to build, before smart TVs. Now, how you would watch Netflix is a matter of convenience, if you had a smart tv and a Playstation and/or Xbox. I still have and want to build that tower, though.Not only that, but before smart tvs, certain smartphones could plug in to tvs, and now you can connect them through a tvs bluetooth, even smart tvs that already have the youtube you'd broadcast to it, from your phone.

I understand the need for these things, even if I don't need them. Some of them have gone too far in my opinion, either by my preference(like infotainment car systems), or by reason alone, like 4k tvs. LED was good enough(I still want one), but 4k tvs ruin the experience for me, it does way too much and is more advanced than tv/movie production. The picture is better than even standing on the tv/movie set, I imagine. I know somebody that had one; you could see the tv magic, and watching a recent for the time(2017) movie with CGI, you could see the CGI, like it was say... Speed Racer, or Cat In The Hat, two early movies that over used the spit outta CGI. It was a movie beforehand, you wouldn't even notice cgi was even used in.

So why get the "greatest" in bicycles, when its benefits are marginal compared to somebody who would actually race it, not pull it out on the weekends, and maybe two hours before dinner? They got us believing 400 bucks is entry level or less, treating it like it's just a step over walmart bikes. Nobody needs di2, and the next four groups under it, are perfectly acceptable for some civilians bike, they all shift fine and the differences are probably marginal, but Shimano and the "experts" got you lying to yourself. Nobody needs brake by wire either. Not on the C8 vette, and not on some bike either. Bikes before Di2 were good enough, bikes without it are good enough, bikes have more gears than practically any big rig on the planet. Just wait till di3 comes out and it's bluetooth, people are gonna be like; "Di2 is garbage, it's practically Sora, you still using wired shifting? Di3 is wireless. all you gotta do is plug up your brakes, derailleurs, and brifters in to the powerbank charger. I'm rubbing my penis on it, while I type this."
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 06-29-21, 11:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ksryder
Right? By the logic of these types of threads we should all be content with our 16" screen B&W Zenith televisions and AM mono car radios.

That grossly overstates the case, though. In the last 40 years, the changes in electronics have been completely transformative, totally changing every performance aspect of the devices to the point that they're really not the same machines they were back then--a smart phone simply isn't just an evolution from the pocket radio, for example.

Bikes are still just bikes, materials are better and more varied, there's the opportunity to use different shapes in the construction, some of them are considerably lighter, some of them are marginally sturdier, but really their operation and capabilities aren't much different from what you could purchase 40 years ago.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-29-21, 11:11 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
"Di2 is garbage, it's practically Sora, you still using wired shifting? Di3 is wireless. all you gotta do is plug up your brakes, derailleurs, and brifters in to the powerbank charger. I'm rubbing my penis on it, while I type this."
lmao!
Old 06-29-21, 11:27 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The innovation that has really benefitted the average rider is index shifting, especially being able to shift while keeping your hands on the handlebar. Partnered with shifting aids, it takes the lowest level of skill to operate.

I remember when Shimano came out with SIS. One of the negative aspects for professional riders was the loud click of the DA 7400 shifters. I had a set of 7401 shifters and they were so loud on a quiet route you could probably hear the click for an eighth of a mile. No sneaking up with those.

But my younger self did enjoy those times of trying catching up to someone knowing those shift clicks were heard coming up… lol.

John
That's just being a petty baby. Pro riders shoulda been more concerned about winning versus being covert. "Oh no, my plan was foiled, now he knew I shifted gears." I've had some clunky shifting bikes, where it sounded like it just threw itself in gear, and I've had some with a loud, crisp shift; it makes the bike sound healthy, it's shifting with conviction, it just snaps in gear. I like motorcycles that do the same thing. Hell... a loud sprag unit in a wheel has saved me from verbally making my self known to peds. Why say "on your left," when "chigchigchigchig" does it for you? I just like noisey stuff, I guess. A gear driver on a bmx is just a beautiful sound.
Old 06-29-21, 11:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago? Is much of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge. Eg, Is carbon anything as an anti-feature.​ ?
I consumer is best served by riding whatever the consumer wants to ride.
Some like older tech thats simple to use and service.
Some like current tech thats simple to use and service.
Some like modern tech that complicated to use and service.

What is a bargain to one person is trash to another.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-29-21, 11:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

good news! you probably could finance a new bicycle!
40 years ago, you could also finance a new bike, just by putting it on a credit card. But do you remember what interest rates were like in 1981? You could get a 30 year fixed rate mortgage at 18.5%.

Old 06-29-21, 11:33 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Some of the innovation may have inspired folks to go to a modern road bicycle whereas they might have not done so if the styling didn't change. Looks can go a long way for gaining new interest imo. How many actually prefer the newer look of threadless stems vs the legacy stuff?
It really just depends. Like a number of roadbikes, mostly by Specialized, look like cantilever beach cruisers without the canti bars
Old 06-29-21, 11:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So I totally don't get the point of the OP. Is the question whether anyone wants this stuff? The answer is clearly yes. Is the question whether some people don't want this newer stuff? I'd say there's a whole lot of bikes being sold without most of the doo-dads, but stuff like index shifting are things almost everyone prefers to the "old stuff". So obviously there's still a market for bikes with basically 1990s era technology.

Anyone have any idea what the percentage of bikes being produced today have carbon frames? For all the talk about carbon frames, it hasn't exactly revolutionized the mass market bicycle. Forks maybe, but even that...

Disc brakes on road bikes seem to me to be innovation for innovation's sake with no real benefit, but I really don't feel like arguing the point.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-29-21, 11:39 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
It really just depends. Like a number of roadbikes, mostly by Specialized, look like cantilever beach cruisers without the canti bars
true. The newer compact frames offered by other OEMs catch the eye though.
Old 06-29-21, 11:40 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by genejockey
40 years ago, you could also finance a new bike, just by putting it on a credit card. But do you remember what interest rates were like in 1981? You could get a 30 year fixed rate mortgage at 18.5%.
Would have to be really hard up for improving the credit score.. or ruining it.
Old 06-29-21, 11:42 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago?
Depending on the 1978 steel road bike you're talking about, I may be able to make a case for my bike from 1960 ... or the one from 1972 ... or maybe even the one for 1987. If you have $750, I might sell one of them to you.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-29-21, 11:45 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I missed the shifting of the goalposts. Did you see it?
I didn't actually "see" it, but I heard a scraping sound as they were dragged along the ground.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.