Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

No more helmet enforcement?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-15-22, 01:24 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts

Seattle will stop enforcing the helmet law. I thought this was the protocol five or more years ago with the rise of the city's bike share program. But apparently, this is a new thing. What's the enforcement like where you live?

https://publicola.com/2022/01/14/sea...ic-violations/
Old 01-15-22, 01:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts
Not much. It's one of those laws that would consume a lot of the courts time if they tried to enforce it. The few tickets they give here, I'm told all you have to do is go buy a cheap helmet, show the traffic court judge the ticket and they waive the fine. And probably a decent number actually do wear it afterwards. Who knows?

I wear my helmet all the time. It saved me once. I hope to never give it the chance to do so again. But I thought I was bullet proof before I smashed it into 11 major cracks. Now I'm not so sure.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-15-22, 01:47 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
In North Carolina, there never has been a state law requiring helmets for adults. We've had a 20 year requirement for children under 16 to wear a helmet when riding on public roads and paths. The penalty for non-compliance is a $10 fine to the parents, which is waived if the parent presents proof of helmet acquisition. I have not heard of a single incidence of a parent getting cited, though.

Your article has a quote that presents the logic: “These violations do not have a direct connection to the safety of other individuals on the roads, paths, or sidewalks,”. One could argue that bike helmets are a safety measure; however the key qualifier is "safety of others".

I've always wondered why laws are enacted, but seldom enforced.
Old 01-15-22, 02:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
I'm not aware of any helmet requirement law in Michigan.
Old 01-15-22, 02:23 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
My state would have to pass another helmet law first

Likes For work4bike:
Old 01-15-22, 03:21 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Same here with motorcycles so no way were ever getting a bicycle helmet law. But we have the Strugis rally so no way there will be a helmet law. That might hurt our tourism.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 01-16-22, 09:13 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Our laws make wearing a helmet mandatory but are not strictly enforced. You can’t wear earphones, earbuds or use you phone while bicycling.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 01-16-22, 01:40 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
You can’t wear earphones, earbuds or use you phone while bicycling.

I can get behind this!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 01-16-22, 05:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
There may be a shortage of organ donors.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-16-22, 05:23 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
trade-off for thinning out the herd...
Old 01-16-22, 05:28 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
In Texas a Helemt not manditory for Adult bicycle riders. But an officer can stop you and check your ID and even your equipment if you present a danger to others or yourself. I had a Park Ranger who stopped me when ridding through our local state park. No biggy, no ticket, and pleasant conversation too, but he said he was going to shake me down every time he saw me ridding without a helmet. So I got one, no problem, but several years latter I took a tumble and certainly would not be writing this if I had not been wearing a helmet... Ha
Old 01-16-22, 05:33 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by zandoval
In Texas a Helemt not manditory for Adult bicycle riders. But an officer can stop you and check your ID and even your equipment if you present a danger to others or yourself. I had a Park Ranger who stopped me when ridding through our local state park. No biggy, no ticket, and pleasant conversation too, but he said he was going to shake me down every time he saw me ridding without a helmet. So I got one, no problem, but several years latter I took a tumble and certainly would not be writing this if I had not been wearing a helmet... Ha
does it stip that you need to wear or just possess the helmet? B/C if all you have to do it stow it like some truck nuts, welp, they can't do much about it then.
Old 01-16-22, 10:14 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
No helments in Hawaii, except bicycle riders under 16. But make sure you have your face mask and vax pass if you want to stop anywhere.

scott s.
Old 01-17-22, 10:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The hairy chested he men that wont wear helmets get they underlovelies in a wad when you suggest that they make good organ donors!!!
Old 01-17-22, 10:15 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Thankfully there's no adult helmet law here, so no enforcement. I'm not sure if the law requiring minors to wear them is enforced much, but I'd be surprised if it was.
Old 01-17-22, 10:15 AM
rydabent
Banned

I always wear a helmet, even when riding my trike, even tho I dont have far to fall.

That said I despise the wanna be little dictators that want to command how I should lead my life, and others to. As I say I alway wear my helmet when riding, OTOH I believe others should be free to do as they please. And then too, there would be one less law on the books for the police to worry about. They have enough to do these days as it is.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-17-22, 07:52 PM
twistgrip
Twistgrip

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus-based E-Bike, Giant Seek 0: Torpado Nuovo Record 10 speed; GT BMX; CCM Mustang 3-speed; CCM Mustang low-rider 3-speed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Helmets, bells, lights...

Around here it feels like bike regulations are designed to make it worth the cop's time. I know folks who have had to pay multiple fines for running through a STOP sign or, in one case, after being hit by a car. Helmet, bell, rear-view mirror and lights (not in daytime, thankfully) are worth a fine in excess of 100$ each. Cops are too busy to worry much about bikes. Twice in the past 10 years they were given short term directives to enforce bike laws. They became very aggressive in catching people for a couple of weeks. Last summer there was a radar campaign to catch bikes going above the 20kmh speed limit in a nearby park. They made a killing on that one!
Old 01-17-22, 08:44 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
Our laws make wearing a helmet mandatory but are not strictly enforced. You can’t wear earphones, earbuds or use you phone while bicycling.
Wow! Does that include using your phone for a GPS unit? I don't know if I could ride without my buds and have to listen to noisy cars flying by. It's bad enough having to suck in their fumes.
Old 01-18-22, 01:13 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Note to self: stay out of eastern Canada.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-18-22, 07:17 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Note to self: stay out of eastern Canada.
Canada is a quiet place 😀
Old 01-18-22, 04:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by twistgrip
Around here it feels like bike regulations are designed to make it worth the cop's time. I know folks who have had to pay multiple fines for running through a STOP sign or, in one case, after being hit by a car. Helmet, bell, rear-view mirror and lights (not in daytime, thankfully) are worth a fine in excess of 100$ each. Cops are too busy to worry much about bikes. Twice in the past 10 years they were given short term directives to enforce bike laws. They became very aggressive in catching people for a couple of weeks. Last summer there was a radar campaign to catch bikes going above the 20kmh speed limit in a nearby park. They made a killing on that one!
Your city must have greedy b'crats that take great joy in high priced fines so they can blow more money on what they want.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-18-22, 05:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
I don't know what grows on the chest of people who think that constant repetition of tired cliches and foolish stereotypes makes goofy statements any less ignorant, but it certainly seems as if something is missing.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-19-22, 07:27 AM
twistgrip
Twistgrip

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus-based E-Bike, Giant Seek 0: Torpado Nuovo Record 10 speed; GT BMX; CCM Mustang 3-speed; CCM Mustang low-rider 3-speed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
What is missing is civility. In a very large city like here, people commute mostly alone in a car, two hours a day, five days a week. Eventually, each one of us makes a silly driving/riding error of judgement and piss off someone or, rarely it seems to me, get pulled over. Most drivers are decent. They do get upset and voice their rage at the constant flow of bikes riding through stop signs and red lights, or else flying by pedestrians. They complain and, once in a while, get results and cops are asked to "do something about it". Fines have become excessive because they are treated as a voluntary tax, and I, for one, do my best to avoid them.
Old 01-19-22, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
haven't been aware of ANY helmet "enforcement" anywhere, ever. maybe I'm not observant?
Old 01-19-22, 08:48 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
haven't been aware of ANY helmet "enforcement" anywhere, ever. maybe I'm not observant?
Historically, they are VERY selectively enforced.
Three summers ago there were several high profile incidents in Greater Boston.
(Covid has put a temporary stay on the harassments.)

Emphasis added below:

Originally Posted by mr_bill
This topic is still destined for the everlasting gobstopper thread, but....

The only change to Massachusetts bicycle helmet law that I support is this: STRIKE: "A bicycle operated by a person under the age of eighteen in violation of this section may be impounded by the police department, or in a town which has no police department, by the selectmen, for a period not to exceed fifteen days." Springfield, Lowell, and Salem all had high profiles abuses of this section this summer, but this is abused constantly and it has to stop. (A nice side effect of striking that sentence? There would be no penalty for not wearing a bicycle helmet in Massachusetts. If that bothers someone too much, I suggest the fine be set at $1.00 for a first offence, $2.00 for subsequent offences, with a coupon that can be redemed for a helmet.)

Bicycle helmets are a medical question, not a legal question. The usual suspects here can argue with their own doctors all they want.

Bicycle helmet giveways are a proven intervention by the way. Surprisingly high percentage of people continue to wear a helmet once they start wearing a helmet.

-mr. bill
-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-19-22 at 08:55 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.