Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire suggestion - extra weight

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 12:25 PM
vegematarian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions for a 700c tire…mostly traveling on city road and paved bike trails (with some a small amount of grass and sand as well (traveling from a city to a beach)) on a steel touring/adventure bike. I will be carrying about 15-25 pounds of supplies and trailing a dog trailer with a 40 pound dog. (I am 200 lbs also)

Most of my other bikes have Continental tires and I’ve had no issue with that brand. I had Vitoria Randonneur Trail tires 700x38) on this bike and they didn’t last long.
Old 04-15-22, 01:12 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Any basic touring or urban tire that prioritizes longevity over rolling resistance should be fine. The Schwalbe Marathon comes to mind. The small amount of extra weight and added resistance from pulling a trailer will not matter all that much to that tire or one similar to it.
Old 04-15-22, 01:19 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Check out the American Classic Lamplighter, which is a 40c utility tire with a stout casing and excellent puncture-proofing under the tread, and which is only $30 off Amazon. AC tires are available only on Amazon, which is a business model that allows them to offer what is probably the best QPR in the market today.

I have Torchbearer and Timekeeper models, and they’re really good road tires; I just now got off the Torchbearers and was thinking how smooth and easy rolling they seem to be.

https://www.amazon.com/AMERICAN-CLAS...-13&th=1&psc=1
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-16-22, 02:36 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by vegematarian
Any suggestions for a 700c tire…mostly traveling on city road and paved bike trails (with some a small amount of grass and sand as well (traveling from a city to a beach)) on a steel touring/adventure bike. I will be carrying about 15-25 pounds of supplies and trailing a dog trailer with a 40 pound dog. (I am 200 lbs also)

Most of my other bikes have Continental tires and I’ve had no issue with that brand. I had Vitoria Randonneur Trail tires 700x38) on this bike and they didn’t last long.
Given the load, you probably want the widest tire that will fit in the frame. There are lots of good brands available but first figure out the tire width and then come back with the question. Different tire companies focus on different size ranges and their models are likewise tailored to a given size range. As an example, lots of people like Continental GP 5000 but they aren't available in anything wider than a 32.
Old 04-16-22, 10:47 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Pretty much any utility tire in the 37-40mm range will be fine.
Any of the Schwalbe Marathon family, or the Conti Contact / Contact Plus would serve you well. Also some of the budget tires like the Michelin Crosstrek and Conti TourRide are pretty tough, too.
200# plus some cargo is not outside the envelope, especially for "recreational" riding, as opposed to high performance use. While you're going to notice it when accelerating or climbing; remember that the trailer carries most of it's weight on it's own wheels.

*BeikForums tends to be a little over-cautious as to what a bicycle is or isn't capable of withstanding, and trailering seems to be a bit of a Dark Art around these parts.