Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Using Powertap G3 for speed information with Garmin 1030 plus

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 04-25-22, 12:53 PM
Evanston1957

Bikes: Mosaic RT1, Trek Boone, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hopefully self explanatory. My Elemnt Bolt lets me use my Powertap G3 to compute speed, since the hub rotates and allows precise speed calculation. But I haven't figured out how to enable this on the Garmin yet. Advice appreciated.
Old 04-25-22, 02:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Is your powertap G3 putting out ant+?

I'm not so sure all the garmins that actually have bluetooth will see bluetooth sensors. Some garmin Edges and other devices I think only have the BT for communication to the Garmin phone app. So sensor pairing for them will have to be ant+.

You do know how to pair a sensor to your 1030+ don't you.

Welcome to BF.
Old 04-25-22, 03:25 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
His question is whether the G3 speed is automatically paired and the GPS overridden so to speak. Yes. Not using GPS essential for doing CdA and Crr work unless you are testing Herse tires.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-25-22, 03:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
His question is whether the G3 speed is automatically paired and the GPS overridden so to speak. Yes. Not using GPS essential for doing CdA and Crr work unless you are testing Herse tires.

​​​​​​​Oh!

I suppose you are correct. If that is the case, then yes, AFAIK, the speed is defaulted to the properly paired PM. But TMK, you have to go by faith unless you can prove it is or isn't in data. Though there might be a real-time message briefly on the device if the wheel sensor info craps out during a ride. I think I got one once with a speed cadence sensor when the wheel speed quit reporting.

Whether any PM's report wheel speed as a separate sensor pairing, I do not know.
Old 04-25-22, 03:58 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Oh!

I suppose you are correct. If that is the case, then yes, AFAIK, the speed is defaulted to the properly paired PM. But TMK, you have to go by faith unless you can prove it is or isn't in data. Though there might be a real-time message briefly on the device if the wheel sensor info craps out during a ride. I think I got one once with a speed cadence sensor when the wheel speed quit reporting.

Whether any PM's report wheel speed as a separate sensor pairing, I do not know.
I own three G3 Powertap wheels and a couple Garmin head units. I also have a EE, this isn't rocket surgery. You pair and then automatically get cadence and speed from the G3. It is a fantastic PM, too bad it is history
Old 06-05-22, 12:15 AM
girona
biciclista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have an old school Garmin cadence/speed sensor (the one with magnets) that I now use with a 1030+.
For some reason, the speed sensor wasn't working right and my reported speed was 0 km/h. So it seems that once it's paired with a speed sensor it won't default back to GPS data for speed. I had to unpair the sensor so the unit would use GPS data for speed.
This was not the case with previous GPS units (810 and forerunner 310xt, yes the speed/cadence sensor is old).