Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinion on this model Schwinn ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-09-22, 07:36 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Bikes: Specialized Roll 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 12 Posts

Schwinn Men's Suburban ALX 26 in 21-Speed Hybrid Bike

A local shop has them on sale for 270 usd.

I've been watching for a used one here locally since February and I just can't find anything.

I don't have enough posts yet to post a link.
Old 05-09-22, 07:53 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Here's a link: https://www.academy.com/p/schwinn-me...ed-hybrid-bike

Essentially department-store quality. It'll work, but don't expect it to last long or be especially serviceable.
Old 05-09-22, 08:25 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by Rolla
Here's a link: https://www.academy.com/p/schwinn-me...ed-hybrid-bike

Essentially department-store quality. It'll work, but don't expect it to last long or be especially serviceable.
Gotcha, Academy is where I saw it

I guess I can check out the local bike shops. I've been watching Craigslist but it's slim pickens.
Old 05-09-22, 08:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
The Schwinn name has gone way down hill like it had to win the World Downhill cup or his entire family was going to be murdered in front of him. Generally if you see Schwinn Quality somewhere on the bike that is the closest it has been to quality.

Also keep in mind 8 speed first came out in the late 1980s and it is now 2022 and we are in the 12 speed era. I would be very weary of stuff below 10 speed and especially below 9 speed.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-09-22, 08:47 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to bash it; It's really not bad for a $250 bike. it's the AL version of the steel-framed Ranger that they've been making for ages.
I've had a couple of them pass through my hands, and while they're definitely an inexpensive bike, they're not a cheap bike, if you catch my drift.

3x7 Tourney has been around for a dog's age, and while it's not exactly state-of-the art, it works adequately for 'casual' recreational use. The whole bike is like that, really. It's basic and simple, without being chintzy.

Biggest drawback is because they're department-store bikes, they've only got whatever level of tuning they received at the factory; but they're quality enough that if you want to learn about maintaining a bike, that it'd be worth the time. (I wouldn't go sinking a bunch of money into upgrades, though)
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-09-22, 08:53 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

What brands should I look for for a used bike ?
I just checked the Louisville Kentucky Craigslist again and there's quite a few more on there now but a lot of unfamiliar names/makes.

I can spend up to $600.

Last edited by Charlie Ky; 05-09-22 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 09:13 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I wouldn't be so quick to bash it; It's really not bad for a $250 bike. it's the AL version of the steel-framed Ranger that they've been making for ages.
I've had a couple of them pass through my hands, and while they're definitely an inexpensive bike, they're not a cheap bike, if you catch my drift.

3x7 Tourney has been around for a dog's age, and while it's not exactly state-of-the art, it works adequately for 'casual' recreational use. The whole bike is like that, really. It's basic and simple, without being chintzy.

Biggest drawback is because they're department-store bikes, they've only got whatever level of tuning they received at the factory; but they're quality enough that if you want to learn about maintaining a bike, that it'd be worth the time. (I wouldn't go sinking a bunch of money into upgrades, though)
I work on my own vehicle, so a bike shouldn't be too tough. I wouldn't style myself as a mechanic but I can pull parts and replace them.
Old 05-09-22, 09:16 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Ok, I have enough posts for a link
//louisville.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=bicycles

Anyone would care to glance at the first page or two and see if there are any decent deals I would appreciate it.
Rolla

I wouldn't be so quick to bash it; It's really not bad for a $250 bike.
Not a bash, just a statement of fact. Corners have been cut to hit that pricepoint and still spec a suspension fork and seatpost.
Likes For Rolla:
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Originally Posted by Charlie Ky
I just checked the Louisville Kentucky Craigslist again and there's quite a few more on there now but a lot of unfamiliar names..
Kinda depends on what kind of bike you're looking for, and what you're planning on doing with it.

TREK, Giant and Specialized are some of the biggest brands; hard to go wrong there.
2nd tier brands like Jamis and Nishiki are usually a pretty safe bet as well.
There were a couple of brands like GT and Raleigh that were good in the 1990's, then got sold and 'offshored' years ago, and came back with much cheaper bikes, just the same name, kinda like Schwinn did.
Huffy, Kent and Hyper are the Wal-Mart brands, avoid those, their only feature is how cheap they are.

When you're looking at used bikes, it helps to know where in the model range that bike would have been when it was new. Usually the rear derailleur is a good place to start. Also look at the rear axle; a quick-release rear axle is generally the mark of a 'bike-shop' level quality bike.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-09-22, 09:27 PM
Rolla

I don't know what size bike fits you or what kind of riding you plan to do, or how much you ride. In general, for any given price, the fewer bells and whistles the bike has, the better, because that usually means that more money went into the frame, wheels, and components, instead of things like suspension forks and seatposts.

Maybe go talk to the guys at Bike Courier or Middletown Cycling and see if they have anything used, or some recommendations for an inexpensive newer bike.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-09-22, 09:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Ok, I have enough posts for a link
//louisville.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=bicycles

Anyone would care to glance at the first page or two and see if there are any decent deals I would appreciate it.
So really none of them because we don't know much about you. I would be very careful dealing with Craigslist so you don't get any stolen bikes or bikes that need a lot of work. Make sure you can test ride the bike and make sure it fits and again doesn't need a lot of work. If you are new to all of this you might consider going to your local shop and trying to find something new of quality, you will get support for the bike and a warranty on it. In many cases you will also get a tune up for free.

If you are stuck on buying used I would see if you can find something that is likely to fit and see if you can meet at your local shop and if they can look over the bike before purchase.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-09-22, 09:51 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

I'll just go to a bike shop and see what they have. I basically just want one to ride 15-20 miles a day for exercise at a local park with a loop around it with a lot of semi steep grades.

When I bought the old Schwinn cruiser I weighed 265 lbs, so flat pavement around the neighborhood was it. Today I'm down to 174 lbs and have a few more lbs of stubborn visceral fat hanging around.

I can just ride the cruiser in the park but I'd wind up walking it up a few of the steeper grades.
Likes For Charlie Ky:
Old 05-09-22, 10:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I'll just go to a bike shop and see what they have. I basically just want one to ride 15-20 miles a day for exercise at a local park with a loop around it with a lot of semi steep grades.

When I bought the old Schwinn cruiser I weighed 265 lbs, so flat pavement around the neighborhood was it. Today I'm down to 174 lbs and have a few more lbs of stubborn visceral fat hanging around.

I can just ride the cruiser in the park but I'd wind up walking it up a few of the steeper grades.
Go to Trek, Giant, and Specialized shops. Between shops with those 3 brands there will be a handful of smaller brands too. At $600, you can find a basic entry level hybrid with rigid fork.
Giant Escape 3 and Trek fx1 are a couple of options.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-09-22, 10:48 PM
Rolla

I'll just go to a bike shop and see what they have.
Good call. Just take your time, and ask a lot of questions. A good shop will show you what's important to consider for the kind of riding in your area. I think you'll find that a hybrid bike with a rigid fork, some gears, and moderately wide tires will serve you well for fitness rides. You don't need a lot of bells and whistles for that, so good quality and low maintenance should be priorities. It would be nice to get something that weighs under 30 lbs.

Middletown and St. Matthews Cyclery are both Giant dealers. See if they have a Giant Escape 3 in stock.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-09-22, 10:49 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Go to Trek, Giant, and Specialized shops. Between shops with those 3 brands there will be a handful of smaller brands too. At $600, you can find a basic entry level hybrid with rigid fork.
Giant Escape 3 and Trek fx1 are a couple of options.
I don't know what size bike fits you or what kind of riding you plan to do, or how much you ride. In general, for any given price, the fewer bells and whistles the bike has, the better, because that usually means that more money went into the frame, wheels, and components, instead of things like suspension forks and seatposts.

Maybe go talk to the guys at Bike Courier or Middletown Cycling and see if they have anything used, or some recommendations for an inexpensive newer bike.
Ok, Middletown cycling shows a medium Giant Escape 3 Comfort in stock. Specs and description look like it will be a good choice.
Likes For Charlie Ky:
Old 05-09-22, 10:51 PM
Rolla

Ok, Middletown cycling shows a medium Giant Escape 3 Comfort in stock. Specs and description look like it will be a good choice.
Worth a test ride, anyway! When you're there, you can compare it to others for features and value.
Old 05-09-22, 11:04 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Worth a test ride, anyway! When you're there, you can compare it to others for features and value.
They show a lot of bikes in stock, so yes it looks like the place to go.

I'll go out there in the morning.

Is that T Rex in your avatar ?
Old 05-09-22, 11:23 PM
Rolla

Is that T Rex in your avatar ?
Marc Bolan, yes!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-10-22, 07:02 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Not a bash, just a statement of fact. Corners have been cut to hit that pricepoint and still spec a suspension fork and seatpost.
Don't get me wrong, it's a very inexpensive bike, and it definitely shows: steel handlebar, threaded headset, bolt-on freewheel rear hub, (and suspension seatposts suck, period).
It's for sure not the "Forever Bike" or the "One Bike to Do All The Things" that we love to recommend to newbs around here.

But, for a "First Bike on a $300 Budget" I'd rather recommend an okay-ish new bike than a random used-but-nicer bike-that-needs-work that we're going to have to remotely diagnose and train the rider who may or may not have any bike wrenching knowledge. 3x7 and V-brakes are bog simple, and easy to maintain adequate performance for the way 90% of people use a bike 90% of the time.

In the case of the OP, he's got $600 to spend, so I'd send him to the LBS for a better bike, too, but not everyone has (or can justify) that kind of a spend.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-10-22, 07:49 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
My God, Walmart is actually charging $626 for this bike brand new through one of its drop ship partners The picture is identical. One thing that screams out leave this one in the store is ONE SIZE FRAME FITS ALL. What a joke that is. Stick with a legitimate bike shop where you can be fitted to a frame that matches what you really need. It's so much nicer to ride one that really fits you. I've bought a few bikes at my local police auction years ago when they actually had some good deals but soon passed on those that were too big for my height. At least at a regular bike shop you can try on the frame and see if it is correct for you.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 05-10-22, 08:09 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

(and suspension seatposts suck, period.
I'm getting ready to head out and look at a couple of Giant models, and both have suspension seatposts.

Do you mean the bottom shelf brands seatposts ?
Old 05-10-22, 08:17 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Escape 3 Comfort vs Cypress 2
Are the specs on the Cypress enough to justify the extra cost ?
Old 05-10-22, 08:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I'm getting ready to head out and look at a couple of Giant models, and both have suspension seatposts.

Do you mean the bottom shelf brands seatposts ?
If you are looking at the Giant Escape 3 Comfort, that model has a suspension seatpost. It is easily replaced with a rigid seatpost. The stem and headset on that model are an older style than what is on the regular Escape 3. I have no idea why Giant made that Comfort model.
I currently work on a fleet of 20 Escape 3 Comfort bikes and in past years would maintain Trek FX1 bikes. The FX1 is nicer than the Escape 3 Comfort. But the regular Escape 3 would probably be equal to an FX1.
Old 05-10-22, 08:27 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If you are looking at the Giant Escape 3 Comfort, that model has a suspension seatpost. It is easily replaced with a rigid seatpost. The stem and headset on that model are an older style than what is on the regular Escape 3. I have no idea why Giant made that Comfort model.
I currently work on a fleet of 20 Escape 3 Comfort bikes and in past years would maintain Trek FX1 bikes. The FX1 is nicer than the Escape 3 Comfort. But the regular Escape 3 would probably be equal to an FX1.
Ok, thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.