Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It goes to 11

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 06:42 PM
keraba2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It goes to 11

I wasn't sure where to post this. Not exactly vintage, touring or commuting, but IGHs seem to overlap there.

I forget if I posted much about it, but I first converted a carbon fiber road bike to flat bars (while maintaining a triple up front) and then the rear derailleur crashed into the spokes, so I gave up on having a 3x9 entirely. I found a Nexus 11 on-line, had an LBS mount it into a wheel, and threw it on the bike. I got very lucky with the chain spacing; I don't have a tensioner but I haven't had a problem yet, despite pedaling over bumps.

I have to say that I still LOVE IGHs. I've had a 3 speed for several years, and a 7 speed for a short time. The 3 speed was fun when my knees could mash up the hill to my house, and unfortunately, the 7 speed was similarly challenged in range compared to the bike's weight (~30#). So I decided to get an 11 speed and put it on my derailleur-less carbon flat bar bike.

The math was like this: I calculated the range of the carbon bike. This told me that I needed an 11 speed; an 8 wouldn't do. I then calculated the wheel size of the smallest gear, because I knew that I could climb local hills with it.

I then purchased a back sprocket for the Nexus 11 wheel that, when combined with the middle ring of the existing triple on the carbon bike, would give me a slightly smaller wheel size than the old derailleur set-up. I went slightly smaller because better too low than too high. I think it's 42 by 18.

I removed the front derailleur because why not, but I'm too lazy so far to swap the front triple crankset. And it makes me sad.

Anyways, as I said, I'm LOVING the 11 speed. When coming to a stop, I put it down to 5 or 4, and I can pedal away without standing up and mashing. It just doesn't care about shifting down the entire range, and I don't need to pedal to get it to shift and grind and what-not. Panic stops are a non-issue; I just down-shift and ride away.

The highest gear isn't /quite/ high enough. There's a section of a downhill that I just stop pedaling on. I suppose I could get a Rohloff or Pinion, but that's a heck of a jump just to pedal when I don't need to. The 11 speed is light and innocuous. I just don't notice it.

It took a few rides to "break in" (or maybe the user to figure out how to use it.) Specifically, I would shift to 6, and mash, and it would "skip" occasionally. Even when it didn't happen, I've seen it "settle" a few degrees rotation. I haven't seen either issue in the last 3 rides over the same roads. I think the secret is backing off pedaling while shifting. No need to stop, but certainly let up on the pressure. Or maybe the pawls just ground off their burrs. No idea.

The bike is now 21# when it used to be 20. That will go down when I get rid of the triple (sniff! I'm going to miss you!).

I would LOVE to convert it to a belt drive, but no one makes a light, horizontal drops bike with belt break-outs???

Yes, that's the original front wheel, stem, seat, seatpost and brakes. You can pry my rim brakes from my cold dead hands.

'just noticed that my back brake is loose. haha!

Old 06-06-22, 06:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You need to install a chain tensioner if you're running an IGH hub on a bike with vertical drop outs The chain may be ok when new but it will eventually start to wear out and stretch and will become too loose...best thing is to just get a frame with horizontal drop outs or track ends or sliding drop outs.
Old 06-06-22, 07:18 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
You'll need a new frame for belt drive. OR buy another bike with belt drive and IGH already on it. Belt + IGH bikes have gone cheaper nowadays and becoming popular too.

Celine Dion also says it only goes to 11, skip to 3:25

Last edited by koala logs; 06-06-22 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 07:47 PM
keraba2

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi Koala!

My purchase of the 7 speed belt drive was to that same purpose, but alas, it was too heavy to enjoy up the hill to my house. Still looking for a light IGH frame!
Old 06-06-22, 08:22 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by keraba2
Hi Koala!

My purchase of the 7 speed belt drive was to that same purpose, but alas, it was too heavy to enjoy up the hill to my house. Still looking for a light IGH frame!
I haven't tried belt+IGH yet. But would be my next bike if I saved enough by next year. I like the very low maintenance and all-weather aspect of it even if it's going to be slower.

I imagine it would be heavier than regular frame to accommodate the non-breaking belt.
Old 06-09-22, 02:02 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
My Marin Fairfax 4 is a belt-drive with Nexus 8-speed IGH. I put solid tyres on it 600km ago. It's not my favourite bike to ride, but it is easily the most convenient. As such, it has recently been getting ridden more frequently than any of my other bikes. I love it.
Old 06-09-22, 02:26 PM
keraba2

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
ah, the SC4. Looks light. I'm curious how much.

It looks like Marin had quite a few IGHs a few years ago, but now it's just a few Presidio and Muir Woods. e.g. 2020 even had a Nexus 11 on the Presidio DLX 4.
Old 06-10-22, 12:14 AM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by keraba2
ah, the SC4. Looks light. I'm curious how much.

It looks like Marin had quite a few IGHs a few years ago, but now it's just a few Presidio and Muir Woods. e.g. 2020 even had a Nexus 11 on the Presidio DLX 4.
I never weighed it but I'm guessing 14-15 kg. Presidio seems to be very similar. I have never had an issue with the Fairfax in four years. Great bike.