Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 08:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42

How do you like your Fog Cutter? Love mine; I use it for rando. I get so many comments on how gorgeous it is.

The new model though, with the replaceable dropouts. If it was red, I'd have one already.
My FG? Its fine. Not the highest quality steel ride out there, but I can't complain considering what the frame cost.

The new model has less tire clearance and slightly different geo. Its less Gravel, more road. Frankly I think they screwed the pooch on the v2. They should have just updated the axles and left the tire clearance alone.
Old 07-30-22, 08:02 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I suspect the crudeness lies in the simplifying assumptions.
Originally Posted by asgelle
Such as?
Sorry for the delayed reply. I was intending to watch the video again to gather and refine my objections, but that may never happen, so at the risk of attacking a straw-man, I find that the notion that one gets anything back from a flywheel effect from one's wheels to be absolutely ridiculous. Extra energy expended accelerating with heavier wheels is lost forever, pissed away in a few second's coasting. And it's not just a matter of the energy expended, it's a matter of muscle fatigue accumulating until one cannot overcome the competitive disadvantage.

Which is why training with heavier wheels when riding with others is so effective. They give one a 'better workout'.

Last edited by Fredo76; 07-30-22 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-30-22, 08:16 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I find that the notion that one gets anything back from a flywheel effect from one's wheels to be absolutely ridiculous.
Sadly, physics isn’t a matter of opinion or what you do or don’t find ridiculous.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-30-22, 09:07 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Sadly, physics isn’t a matter of opinion or what you do or don’t find ridiculous.
In this case, your appeal to authority (physics) is a meaningless dodge. I expected better from your apparent curiosity. Around here, I should have known better, and not bothered. You are a disappointment, so far. Got anything better?