Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

OT: Cataract Lens

Old 06-12-22, 02:44 PM
Goldrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
OT: Cataract Lens

Seems like a good topic for this age group. Has anyone recently has cataract surgery and if so what type lens did you chose and why?

I have a pre op appointment this week.

Thanks
Old 06-12-22, 04:39 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Moved to Pills and Ills

Old 06-12-22, 06:17 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Visited my ophthalmologist on Thursday to discuss getting cataract surgery. I intend to get the single vision type where he corrects for distant vision but I still will need glasses for reading. I have worn glasses since I was a teenager so using them for reading will not be a big deal. The main reason for having the surgery is because my optometrist no longer can correct my vision to 20/20 because of the cataracts. Renewing my drivers license in 2023 without better vision might be difficult. Distant vision will work better for driving and bike riding. I know there is the special inserts similar to multi-focal glasses but my insurances have a pretty hefty co-pay for the special lenses.
Old 06-12-22, 08:02 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
My consultation is in 9 days - I'm going for the best lenses they can offer me... might only need to get one eye done though.
Since I was diagnosed a couple weeks ago, I've been hyper aware of how much my vision has deteriorated at least in one eye - especially at night.
I haven't heard a single bad outcome from the people I've asked.
Old 06-12-22, 10:00 PM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldrush
Seems like a good topic for this age group. Has anyone recently has cataract surgery and if so what type lens did you chose and why?

Thanks
Bout 50% of cataract patients get it re-done......sometimes one or sometimes both eyes......almost everyone will be amazed at how bad their vision was after they have the surgery.
The 2nd time I walked out with 20/20 for distance but still use reading glasses, (cheap Chinese made Walmart brand)..........I'm an 80+ year old retired cop, couple of weeks later I put 10 rounds in the K5 on a sillouete target at 25 yds.
Old 06-12-22, 11:27 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
I had the right eye done May 5th and left May 19th, also had corrective IOL lenses put in where I can do without my prescription glasses and just get by with reading glasses for up close. That turned out to be a little more of a hassle than expected, having to keep reading glasses close at hand all the time and it was going to be a real pain when bike riding when i would need readers to see my phone or Fitbit watch. I found sport sunglasses with a bifocal reading glass lens and that works great.

I had the choice to have a multifocal lens implanted that would correct for distance, intermediate & near but it was quite a bit more. Insurance covered that cataract part of the procedure but the corrective lens is not covered. My night vision and glare issues are also improved. I did get cards with all the lens info to keep on file:

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 06-13-22, 08:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2576 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I went with the (insurance covered) distance monofocal lenses; I'd tried varifocal contacts 15 years ago, didn't care for them, and went back to glasses.

Some 6 months later I've got three pairs of reading glasses scattered about, and bifocal reading glasses for my sunglasses. It's great to be able to see clearly again!
Old 06-16-22, 07:50 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I would do the eyes a couple of months apart.
I got distance lens, but one eye is 'to Infinity and beyond'.
Unfortunately my "Rotational Diplopia" still requires correctional prism lens.
Old 06-21-22, 01:07 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Just got back from my consultation.
I need a physical before surgery - EKG and whatnot at family doctor office.
I need a fitting before surgery - at the same eye center - scheduled for next month.
Lens price comparison:
  • 1. Monofocal distance - covered by insurance.
  • 2. Extended range distance - $2200 premium per eye.
  • 3. Extended range plus astigmatism - $4200 premium per eye.
  • 4. Multifocus - (like progressive lenses) I decided I didn't want this.
Going with #3 on right eye only at this time - right eye is mostly useless already.
He said the kind of cataracts I have gets bad fast - noticeable deterioration since my regular eye exam last month.
Fixed right eye should be good for everything except reading medicine bottles.
He thinks I may have a year left on my left eye, so I can recover and re-evaluate before doing that one.
Surgery is in the hospital, not the eye center - scheduled for August.
He wants one week of non strenuous activity post-op just to be safe - a crash or a high blood pressure activity could screw things up.
Nothing special about my case that makes him concerned about complications.
Old 06-25-22, 01:52 AM
liwhitehat

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I had cataract surgery two years ago, and I faced the same choices. Insurance covered monofocal, or multifocal at $4k per eye. I went with the monofocal, and here's why:

1. $8k
2. I had experience with multifocal contacts, and it took some work to get them "dialed in," slightly varying prescriptions, different technologies (aspheric vs. concentric). What if I spent the $8k, and they weren't "dialed in"? Then what?
3. It was my understanding that in some circumstances (dim light, very fine print), I would need "readers" anyway!
4. Side effects, notably glare from bright lights at night.

The surgery gave me 20/20 in both eyes, and a visit to Dollar Tree took care of the near vision.

Recently, I went to contacts, Acuvue Oasys multifocal, and now, at the age of 67, I have the best combined vision I've ever had! Ain't technology wonderful?

What no-one has mentioned, is the cataract brown tint. My visual acuity deterioration was gradual, as was the addition of a brown "filter." But whoa, what a difference when that was removed!

Just my experience and thoughts, YMMV. Good luck!
Old 06-27-22, 06:51 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by liwhitehat
What no-one has mentioned, is the cataract brown tint. My visual acuity deterioration was gradual, as was the addition of a brown "filter." But whoa, what a difference when that was removed!
+1, I describe it as before I was looking at everything using a low watt incandescent bulb and now everything seems to be lit up by a halogen bulb. The acuity and colors are worth the price of admission. I went with the "big bucks" adjustable lenses and right now, 1 week after my 2nd adjustment I think they got it just right. I'm seeing great from my computer screen and beyond. They did have to draw back my distance just a bit in order to have this range but when all is said and done I'll only be needing readers and I can get 3 of them from Costco for under $20. I go in on Wednesday and we'll find out if they think they can improve on this or we'll just lock 'em in.
Old 07-02-22, 09:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldrush

Thanks
I had it earlier this year, 2nd eye done about 6 months ago. My vision is still adjusting. I got Vivity lenses. I was going to get the trifocal full0vision range ones, but the doc talked me out of it due to odd glare behavior that some patients experience. I need a supplemental lense for close-in work, like adjusting derailleur systems.

Ask me anything!
Old 07-02-22, 12:40 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Just got back from my consultation.
I need a physical before surgery - EKG and whatnot at family doctor office.
I need a fitting before surgery - at the same eye center - scheduled for next month.
Lens price comparison:
  • 1. Monofocal distance - covered by insurance.
  • 2. Extended range distance - $2200 premium per eye.
  • 3. Extended range plus astigmatism - $4200 premium per eye.
  • 4. Multifocus - (like progressive lenses) I decided I didn't want this.
Going with #3 on right eye only at this time - right eye is mostly useless already.
He said the kind of cataracts I have gets bad fast - noticeable deterioration since my regular eye exam last month.
Fixed right eye should be good for everything except reading medicine bottles.
He thinks I may have a year left on my left eye, so I can recover and re-evaluate before doing that one.
Surgery is in the hospital, not the eye center - scheduled for August.
He wants one week of non strenuous activity post-op just to be safe - a crash or a high blood pressure activity could screw things up.
Nothing special about my case that makes him concerned about complications.
I didn't need any astig correction, so I dodged that part of the bullet.
Old 07-02-22, 05:18 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I had it earlier this year, 2nd eye done about 6 months ago. My vision is still adjusting. I got Vivity lenses. I was going to get the trifocal full0vision range ones, but the doc talked me out of it due to odd glare behavior that some patients experience. I need a supplemental lense for close-in work, like adjusting derailleur systems.

Ask me anything!
OK, in the time between eyes; when one was fixed and the other not... what was that like?
I'm looking at maybe a year of this, and thinking of options and wondering how I'll manage.
My left eye isn't nearly as bad as my right - either cataracts or prescription wise.
I'm getting Vivity plus astigmatism at least for the first eye.
Old 07-03-22, 06:56 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
OK, in the time between eyes; when one was fixed and the other not... what was that like?
I'm looking at maybe a year of this, and thinking of options and wondering how I'll manage.
My left eye isn't nearly as bad as my right - either cataracts or prescription wise.
I'm getting Vivity plus astigmatism at least for the first eye.
I took one lens out of my previous glasses so that eye's vision was based on the implant, and my other eye had the corrected vision I was used to. Fine for driving, not so fine for reading or computer.

It certainly was awkward. I also tried using the implanted eye with my old corrective lenses, and that was very wierd. but your brain adapts your sense of vision eventually, but not completely.
Old 07-03-22, 08:41 AM
TakingMyTime

@DiabloScott

I had each eye done about 3 weeks apart. Then about 1 month (3-4) weeks later I begin with a series of adjustments. Each adjustment (on both eyes) was done a week apart and after my 2nd adjustment they had been dialed in as good as they were going to get. I have had 1 "locking down" procedure and I go in for my final "Lock down" procedure this Wednesday. After that I won't need to fear UV rays any longer. Since my lenses are adjustable I needed to wear clear protective glasses while inside and darkened while outside.

Both the optometrist and surgeon (who is doing everything) agree that I'm at the point of being corrected as good as it's going to get and I'm with my range of vision. There have been no warnings (and I have asked) regarding my vision shifting or other effects that may crop up with time.

I'm not sure why you want to wait so long between procedures but that's obviously up to you and the advice you receive from your doctor. I'm just happy that it's almost done and I can return to normal. I'd have to say I'm extremely happy with the results. It's nice doing different things throughout the day and never having to wonder where my glasses are. Because of the focal lengths I picked, I will need glasses for reading. But for right now, I can do all my computer work, drive and enjoy the outdoors without any help.
Old 07-03-22, 12:31 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
@DiabloScott

I had each eye done about 3 weeks apart. Then about 1 month (3-4) weeks later I begin with a series of adjustments. Each adjustment (on both eyes) was done a week apart and after my 2nd adjustment they had been dialed in as good as they were going to get. I have had 1 "locking down" procedure and I go in for my final "Lock down" procedure this Wednesday. After that I won't need to fear UV rays any longer. Since my lenses are adjustable I needed to wear clear protective glasses while inside and darkened while outside.

Both the optometrist and surgeon (who is doing everything) agree that I'm at the point of being corrected as good as it's going to get and I'm with my range of vision. There have been no warnings (and I have asked) regarding my vision shifting or other effects that may crop up with time.

I'm not sure why you want to wait so long between procedures but that's obviously up to you and the advice you receive from your doctor. I'm just happy that it's almost done and I can return to normal. I'd have to say I'm extremely happy with the results. It's nice doing different things throughout the day and never having to wonder where my glasses are. Because of the focal lengths I picked, I will need glasses for reading. But for right now, I can do all my computer work, drive and enjoy the outdoors without any help.
Adjustable implants is an interesting idea. I don't beleive mine are adjustable. My first eye came up to 20/30 in the first few weeks and my second one to a little better, but the images from both looked a little grainy. We made some spectacles to try to improve me near 20/15 and the graininess was resolved and my distance vision is pretty darn good. But now, sometimes my distance without the specs is better than my distance vision with the specs.
Old 07-03-22, 04:17 PM
TakingMyTime

Here's the info on what I had implanted

https://www.rxsight.com/us/customizing-your-vision/
Old 07-11-22, 09:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I got the plain lenses. It's amazing being able to see this well again. The nice thing is all the glasses I had accumulated over recent years work as reading glasses. Before even magnification didn't work too well.

I think it's worth paying for the once a day drops if you can afford it. The drops were annoying. I was actually having enough pain from the drops that I almost gave up and called my ophthalmologist, but then I didn't have to use the drops anymore and it all got better.
Old 07-18-22, 02:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I took one lens out of my previous glasses so that eye's vision was based on the implant, and my other eye had the corrected vision I was used to. Fine for driving, not so fine for reading or computer.

It certainly was awkward. I also tried using the implanted eye with my old corrective lenses, and that was very wierd. but your brain adapts your sense of vision eventually, but not completely.

Just had my fitting appointment today, and I brought this idea up. She said one lens in a pair of glasses is not likely to work well - she suggested one contact lens in non-surgical eye that corrects about 50% is a better idea to mate with the new cataract lens. So I'll be looking into disposable contacts.
Old 07-19-22, 10:44 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Liwhitehat, can you tell us more about the contacts you got? I haven’t heard of getting contacts after IOL surgery but that might just me the bee’s knees for not using glasses if they don’t impair the distance vision of the new lens.

Mike
Old 08-28-22, 03:48 AM
liwhitehat

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
Liwhitehat, can you tell us more about the contacts you got? I haven’t heard of getting contacts after IOL surgery but that might just me the bee’s knees for not using glasses if they don’t impair the distance vision of the new lens.

Mike
I tried three: Bausch + Lomb Ultra, Acuvue Oasys, and comfilcon A. Of the three, I found the Bausch + Lomb to be way too flimsy for easy handling; slightest bit of moisture on my fingertip, and they would invert themselves. Acuvue Oasys, much easier to handle, and good vision. I decided to go with the comfilcon A, as these had marginally better near vision than the other two Comfilcon A uses a different technology than the others. One lens is center far (usually dominant eye), and the other is center near. In all cases, I opted for the "high" add (+2.5), even though I never used "readers" that strong. In very dim light, or very small print, you might still need low powered (+1.25, 1.5) "readers." Otherwise, the lenses readily adapt to varying distances, say phone in your hand, vs. computer screen. My monofocal implant gave me 20/20, but if your post surgery vision is slightly less, al of these cotacts add power in .25 steps, which can bring you tp 20/20 (or better?).

I did not exerience any distance vision degradation

Bottom line, cataract surgery and contacts has given me the best overall vision of my life! HTH
Old 08-28-22, 07:30 AM
IcySwan1 

Liwhitehat, perfect timing! I get the first eye done tomorrow. Congratulations on your good results.

Mike
Old 08-28-22, 01:41 PM
liwhitehat

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
Liwhitehat, perfect timing! I get the first eye done tomorrow. Congratulations on your good results.

Mike

Good luck on your surgery! You're gonna have to wait a bit before you go to contacts to allow for healing, and adaptation. To be on the safe side, I waited about a year before I went to contacts. Hope you do as well, or better than I!
Old 08-28-22, 02:42 PM
IcySwan1 

Thanks for the best wishes. Good advice about waiting for contacts. I am patient and waiting is no problem.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.