Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Conversion

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Bianchi Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 09:23 AM
desertcross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Bianchi Conversion

Hi All,

Im not much of a biker but have become an avid Peloton Rider during COVID. My girlfriend and I live in Venice Beach and I am tired of my heavy beach cruiser. Recently she purchase a Linus bike on OfferUp and I am jealous of her purchase lol. Surfing around I found a Bianchi SX 1986 for 200 dollars.

Is it possible to put wider tires on this bike? would it be affordable? I dont really care if its not the best configuration Im just looking for something to cruise the boardwalk that is lighter and quicker than my steel beach cruiser.

Is this a good idea? Im just concerned that the roads here in Venice are a little too rough for just a straight road bike and I feel like the wider tires give off a more casual aesthetic plus its turquoise... its an amazing color, lol, perfect for Venice.
Old 06-13-22, 11:27 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Hi, and welcome to BikeForums. Is that Bianchi SX like this one?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ear-value.html

If so, it's likely going to have a pretty slim clearance between the chain stays, which will limit tire clearance. It looks like it may have 27" wheels (630mm bead seat diameter), which would also limit your tire selection some.

If you're looking for a basic bop-around-town bike like the Linus, I'd look into early '90s hybrids at the oldest...check out the Show your Trek MultiTrack thread for some ideas of what you can do with hybrid bikes. They have clearance for larger tires and they use parts that were VERY common back then and even still today in terms of fit standards. They'll have posts for cantilever or linear pull brakes, they'll already be fitted with at multi-speed drivetrain, and they're generally pretty plentiful in terms of the used bike market.

If you're lucky, you can score one for well under 100 bucks. If you see one where the person's asking much more than $150-200, keep shopping. Plan on putting at least some money into it to get it really fit for your style and to replace consumables like cables, etc. Don't worry about trying to stay under what the bike's worth on the market (in terms of investing money into it). Unless you really get lucky with a garage sale find, you'll almost always put "more into it than what it's worth", but you're making the bike yours in the process...which definitely has value...at least to me.
Old 06-14-22, 03:27 PM
desertcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is like the one on the top thread that you showed.

I mostly want a more road bike than that trek bike. I like that this one Im looking at has road bike handle bars.

My question is really if its possible to put slightly thicker tires on it as I like the bianchi aesthetic and I want a road bike more than city bike. I just want a road bike that isnt purely a road bike if that makes any sense.
Old 06-15-22, 05:21 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I know what you mean. The modern "gravel bike" probably fits your needs -- it's a "road bike" but with clearance for tires much wider than traditional "road bikes" have.

I don't know how large of a tire you could fit in that Bianchi. I'd recommend asking the fine folks over in the Classic & Vintage forum, as some of them probably have the exact bike you're considering buying and can tell you from experience or after a quick measurement the tire clearance on that bike.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/
Old 06-16-22, 11:40 AM
desertcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended buying it... found another one for 130... So I have more money to modify it now. Definitely will take a slightly wider tire and the rims are kinda rusted and original. Its definitely a cool bike. Going to ride it around for a while and see how it does on the busted roads of venice. Needs new pedals though as it has clips.
Old 06-16-22, 05:58 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by desertcross
its turquoise... its an amazing color, lol, perfect for Venice.
Not turquoise, Celeste.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-27-22, 03:30 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Not turquoise, Celeste.
Great! Especially the link!
Though my lady called it pistachio.