Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mounting bicycle rigidly vs hanging it with a rope

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-14-22, 04:12 AM
user1617

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I want to build my bicycle fixing corner in my balcony in my small apartment in the city.

So I went to over to a bicycle retail shop and learned out that a wall mounted repair stand or a stand could be not that chip, if you want to buy a decent one.

The other thing is that I have recently been to Amsterdam (capital of bicycles) and I saw the mechanic there working and fixing bikes when they were hanging from the ceiling uaing a strap.

So I would like to know, what are the cons of a strap? The pros are of course that it doesnt use up a lot of volume when not in use and it doesn't cost much.

Now what about the cons?
Old 06-14-22, 04:32 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 329 Posts
It doesn’t hold your bike as still and securely as a work stand.
Old 06-14-22, 04:39 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I use a hanging mount to do work on my bike. Gonna need something to brace the front wheel but works completely fine.
Old 06-14-22, 06:48 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
TL;DR a strap will work fine for most types of work.

I have a semi-recumbent to which I added a hub motor and other e-bike conversion parts. Because it doesn't have a diamond frame and does not have a traditional seat post, a typical bike stand didn't work. So I took a long ratchet strap, looped it around a beam in my workshop in my basement, and then looped the lower end through the seat back of the bike, basically hanging the tail end of the bike up in the air. Because it's a ratchet strap, I could set the hanging height of the bike as I wished for whatever I was doing. I'd either let the front wheel rest on the ground, or I'd elevate it with a 5-gallon bucket or similar if I was doing something where I wanted the bike level...but off the ground. You can't hold the bike firmly for doing high-torque work (like a bottom bracket), but it works well for pretty much all else.
Old 06-14-22, 07:56 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
I would suggest that you mount the suspension strap into studs so that when you have to apply lots of pressure for loosen/tightening you don’t pull the mounts out of the ceiling.

Dan
Old 06-14-22, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Assuming you are only talking about storage of the bike.

With a strap you might can loop and fasten it over beams or other structural supports. The you won't be damaging things cosmetically as would having to screw a hook or mounting screws.

About the only negative I can think of for a strap is that you can't simply put the bike up with out having to do something with the end of the strap. So if your bike is heavy you might need a third hand.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-14-22 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-14-22, 08:10 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Not sure of any of these would work for you but another option. Shop around on Ebay etc. for cheaper options. Leaning wall racks, no tools needed. wall leaning rack for bicycle - Bing images
Old 06-14-22, 08:40 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
IMHO

If you are really going to work on your bike a lot, nothing replaces a good rack, which are not cheap. It is the single best investment you can make and will last a life time

I like ones that are free standing and can fold (still heavy) i use an older park pcs10

I have done the hang the bike from the ceiling with rope thing, sorta works, but only for very basic stuff.

If you live where there are Aldi's grocery stores, they often have a less expensive but workable stand on sale, but i have no experience with them

Old 06-14-22, 09:07 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
I ran bike store service departments for almost two decades and always used Park repair stands, and yet I'm perfectly happy with my cheap Aldi repair stand. Good for anything except high-torque applications, but standing the bike on the floor solves that problem, as noted earlier in this thread. (If the OP buys one of the Aldi stands, here's advice: don't trip over the legs of the stand - many people spread the legs far wider than necessary - don't want you to fall off the balcony!

But ropes from the ceiling work reasonably well, too. Use three ropes - two for the opposite ends of the handlebars and one for the saddle - and you'll be able to do most service tasks with no problems.
Old 06-14-22, 10:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Like Trakhak notes, it's often easier to do the high-torque jobs with the bike standing on the floor. Hmm, most of those center around the crank and bottom bracket: pedal removal (and to a lesser extend, installation), BB removal and installation, maybe tightening the seatpost clamp. I'd think the rope idea would work well for most other jobs, because the torque is pretty low for most other bolts on your bike. If you start twisting the bike hanging on a rope, you're probably getting close to breaking a bolt or stripping a thread.
Old 06-14-22, 11:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
If you’re near and Aldi grocery store, see if they have them. Yes, I know that sounds weird. But a few years ago they were carrying them, and a few other cycling-related items. I went to check them out and the looked good. I already had a Park work stand, but I purchased a descent pump that I’m still using. The stands were selling for about $25 (US) then. I just saw a PSA for folks in Europe that they’re back in stock for 2022. So maybe the US stores have them. There was discussion in these forums about them several years ago. A couple who’d gotten them said they were very good quality for the $25 they paid.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...right-now.html

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/produc...back-in-stores

Dan
Old 06-14-22, 12:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I've been hanging bikes by the saddle through a rope loop forever. Sometimes I run a second rope under the stem. When I want solid, I set the bike down in it's wheels and lean it against the bench. Bench is right behind the two ropes so access to tools is easy. Rotating the bike to work on the other side is easy. Setting it down is easy. Re-hanging it easy. Every once in a while I come to a place where this doesn't work and I have to do something else to get proper support but that happens seldom enough to be easy to live with. In return, I get a shop with no stand in the way when I am doing carpentry with large pieces of wood. Nothing to bump into, stub toes on or get by. I do hit my head on my "stand" all the time but I rarely notice!

I look at it as a quality of life issue. No big, heavy awkward stand in the key passage of my shop is a huge plus. The sacrifice in storage and other uses of my shop to dedicate a special place for that big stand; just "nah". Having that so easy to use ":stand" right next to the bikes in the primary bike traffic spot for pre-ride, post-ride - "yeah!"
Likes For 79pmooney: