Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Keeping bikes secure on urban tours?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Keeping bikes secure on urban tours?

Old 06-20-22, 07:58 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
When touring I have stayed in and crossed larger cities e.g. Lima, Medellin, Novosibirsk, Bangkok, Chicago, etc..

However, I find that when I am in these cities, a bicycle is not my primary mode of transport. Instead, I find a route that gets me to a reasonably central part of the city and typically find a hotel where I can bring my bicycle inside. Often these cities have their own transport so I've learned some about buses and subways. Also since I am fairly central I can walk to many areas. I've also occasionally signed up and taken a city tour - some of them have hop on/hop off type buses so I can use that to explore.

With exception of some mid-range hotels in India, I haven't had problems bringing a bicycle inside. The issue I found with India is the more expensive hotels are fine because they are used to eccentric customers - and the really inexpensive hotels are also fine because they don't have other facilities. It is the ones in-between where they have their own security and a sense that this security should watch things rather than bringing bikes in rooms.

Now for touring in general, I do bring a basic lock - but more to discourage opportunity theft than as a serious deterrent.
Likes For mev:
Old 06-20-22, 12:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,274 Times in 7,225 Posts
Exploring a city on a bike share bike that's not as nice as the bike you rode in on is not the end of the world. Not even close.