Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Limongi Frame

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Limongi Frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 07:53 PM
SteepedTea2M2S

Bikes: 1994 Miele Lupa, 1985 Fiori Roma, 2012 Felt F6, Fuji Crosstown, SE Big Ripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Limongi Frame

I have a Limongi frame built from Mexico excell tubing. (I have photos but I can’t post as this is my first post on this site). Just looking for more information about Limongi frames and bikes in general. Mine has a cinelli BB shell. The frame as a really interesting pattern pressed in the tubing. Thanks!
Old 06-20-22, 03:30 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by SteepedTea2M2S
I have a Limongi frame built from Mexico excell tubing. (I have photos but I can’t post as this is my first post on this site). Just looking for more information about Limongi frames and bikes in general. Mine has a cinelli BB shell. The frame as a really interesting pattern pressed in the tubing. Thanks!
Welcome to BF.

Yeah Excell liked to do that sort of embossed pattern on the tubes. I'm pretty sure that's only a gimmick, or maybe more fair to say it's a "stylistic flourish", but it doesn't make the tube stiffer, stronger or anything like that. Probably doesn't hurt anything either though, so "sure, why not"?

Sorry, I know your question was about Limongi but I don't know much. I know he built in France, Canada and the USA, with the US ones mostly called "Paris Sport". I think he returned to France after that and your Excell frame was probably made there.

I built some frames with Excell tubing in the '80s, so I know a little about that. Their steel was really strong for the time. How it would stack up against today's stronger tubes like say 853, I couldn't say, but it was stronger than Nivacrom or Prestige.. Someone here wil probably have some original catalog or ad copy with their claimed yield and UTS numbers.

Another unusual thing about Excell was they were willing to make it in very light gauges, as thin as 0.3 mm in the main triangle. Especially in the fork blades — almost every other bike tube maker has been afraid to sell superlight blades. Probably for liability worries, getting sued. I used a few pairs of Excell blades that were noticeably lighter than anyone else's lightest. I don't remember for sure but I wanna say 0.6 mm wall, where most others are in the 0.9 to 1.1 mm range. Flexy, good for comfort on rough surfaces, maybe not so great for sprinting? But they helped keep the weight of my wife's steel fork to under a pound. 1.5 lb is more typical in steel, even for lightweights, so this is quite a bit lighter, almost into the carbon fork range. Well, some carbon forks are heavier than that, but not the good light ones.

Not all their blades were that light, they had a range. The forks on your Limongi might be closer to normal, but probably still on the light end of normal. And very strong.

About picturers, you can save them to your gallery in your profile, then someone with more posts can post them to the thread. We'd love to see 'em. I'd like to know the frame and fork weights too, if you know 'em.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 06-20-22, 05:10 AM
SteepedTea2M2S

Bikes: 1994 Miele Lupa, 1985 Fiori Roma, 2012 Felt F6, Fuji Crosstown, SE Big Ripper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bulgie
Welcome to BF.

Yeah Excell liked to do that sort of embossed pattern on the tubes. I'm pretty sure that's only a gimmick, or maybe more fair to say it's a "stylistic flourish", but it doesn't make the tube stiffer, stronger or anything like that. Probably doesn't hurt anything either though, so "sure, why not"?

Sorry, I know your question was about Limongi but I don't know much. I know he built in France, Canada and the USA, with the US ones mostly called "Paris Sport". I think he returned to France after that and your Excell frame was probably made there.

I built some frames with Excell tubing in the '80s, so I know a little about that. Their steel was really strong for the time. How it would stack up against today's stronger tubes like say 853, I couldn't say, but it was stronger than Nivacrom or Prestige.. Someone here wil probably have some original catalog or ad copy with their claimed yield and UTS numbers.

Another unusual thing about Excell was they were willing to make it in very light gauges, as thin as 0.3 mm in the main triangle. Especially in the fork blades — almost every other bike tube maker has been afraid to sell superlight blades. Probably for liability worries, getting sued. I used a few pairs of Excell blades that were noticeably lighter than anyone else's lightest. I don't remember for sure but I wanna say 0.6 mm wall, where most others are in the 0.9 to 1.1 mm range. Flexy, good for comfort on rough surfaces, maybe not so great for sprinting? But they helped keep the weight of my wife's steel fork to under a pound. 1.5 lb is more typical in steel, even for lightweights, so this is quite a bit lighter, almost into the carbon fork range. Well, some carbon forks are heavier than that, but not the good light ones.

Not all their blades were that light, they had a range. The forks on your Limongi might be closer to normal, but probably still on the light end of normal. And very strong.

About picturers, you can save them to your gallery in your profile, then someone with more posts can post them to the thread. We'd love to see 'em. I'd like to know the frame and fork weights too, if you know 'em.

Mark B

thanks for the info! I have added pictures to my gallery so sometime can take them from there and post please!

unfortunately I only have the frame, no fork. I also think this frame may never have been used? Rough texture almost. No paint on it or any dings or scratches. I don’t have a weight number but can get that this week. It seems very light for a fairly big frame. I can also try and measure how thick the tubing is as well.
Old 06-20-22, 08:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I might suggest signing onto classic-rendezvous-lightweight-vinta...oglegroups.com This is a group that talks about your type of frame. Mark, me and a few others here are members there too. Andy
Old 06-21-22, 10:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Classic and Vintage forum here is full of experts.

I thought I had previously posted that you didn't upload any pics. The forum software is a little clunky about that. There is an "upload" button that you have to hit after you select the pictures in order for them to be uploaded.
Old 06-21-22, 10:58 AM
SteepedTea2M2S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Classic and Vintage forum here is full of experts.

I thought I had previously posted that you didn't upload any pics. The forum software is a little clunky about that. There is an "upload" button that you have to hit after you select the pictures in order for them to be uploaded.
i have also posted in the classics and vintage forum. someone else has uploaded the pictures for me!
Likes For SteepedTea2M2S:
Old 06-21-22, 12:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
okay, great.

Limongi was one of my favorite builders back in the '70s.
Hopefully you can figure it out.