Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did you give a buck?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Did you give a buck?

Old 08-16-21, 05:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by MnHPVA Guy
A week before Christmas 1966, I met a pretty girl at a party in frozen Duluth Minnesota. She needed a ride home and I was the only one there still vertical. Barely. She was a bit startled when, instead of opening a car door, I pulled my AMF branded Hercules 3 speed out of a snowbank. I folded up my serape, (this was the '60s after all) and put it on the "Genuine PresSteel" rack for a seat. As we rode I got to thinking that she seemed like a pretty good sport and I should get to know her better.

About that time she says "Turn left here." For those not familiar with Duluth, it's built on a long, steep hillside at the tip of Lake Superior. Half the streets are fairly level, the crossing streets are anything but. Needless to say we walked the rest of the way.

Since then we've worn out three touring motorcycles and seven tandems. Now in our mid 70s, we still ride together & one of our 4 Great-Grandsons is 19 y/o.

Not many bikes back then had rear racks. So a "Buck" was usually on the top tube, or sturdy steel rear fender (AKA mudguard).

Mark Stonich Minneapolis MN
Ha - awesome!

Not bike-related, but... I used to go to college parties in Duluth pretty regularly. On one such trip, I brought a friend with me - really nice guy, handsome enough, but kind of dorky and a virgin, at ~20 years old. He met a girl at the party and excitedly asked if he could borrow my car to take her back to her place. The problem was that my car was a stick, he didn't know how to drive a stick, and (even in my inebriated state) I was unwilling to let him try to figure it out on the steep streets of Duluth. The next day, he was a crestfallen that something like not being able to drive a stick had kept him from finally losing his virginity, but he acknowledged that it was probably the right call.
Old 08-16-21, 09:05 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ha - awesome!

Not bike-related, but... I used to go to college parties in Duluth pretty regularly. On one such trip, I brought a friend with me - really nice guy, handsome enough, but kind of dorky and a virgin, at ~20 years old. He met a girl at the party and excitedly asked if he could borrow my car to take her back to her place. The problem was that my car was a stick, he didn't know how to drive a stick, and (even in my inebriated state) I was unwilling to let him try to figure it out on the steep streets of Duluth. The next day, he was a crestfallen that something like not being able to drive a stick had kept him from finally losing his virginity, but he acknowledged that it was probably the right call.
Great story. Driving a stick in Duluth, especially in winter, starting from an uphill stop with another car behind you, was quite a challenge. One of my sons always buys manual transmission cars. Not that he's a car guy, he bikes more miles than he drives, but no one ever wants to borrow his cars.

No virginity lost on the night I related either, nor for quite a while thereafter. Billy Joel described my dilemma perfectly when he sang, "You Catholic girls start much too late." To get somewhat back on topic: Do I remember correctly that, back in the day, we called the top tube the crossbar? BTW we still ride "English 3 Speeds" though with S5 5 speed guts in the AW shells.
Old 08-17-21, 08:15 AM
1joel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Where in Wisconsin?
Bayside, a suburb of Milwaukee just North.
Joel
Old 08-17-21, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 1joel1
Bayside, a suburb of Milwaukee just North.
Joel

OK, that's completely across the state from Minnesota, so a "buck" sighting well outside of MN. First one I'm aware of!

Thanks!
Old 08-17-21, 10:42 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
Wow. I remember more from 1974 than I do from last week for sure.

In Sydney you'd say "give us a double" or "give us a dink".
Yep, I grew up all over Australia. 'Gimme a dink', or 'I'll dink ya'. The most comfortable dinks by far where facing forward sitting on the curvy handlebars of dragsters. Scary though!

Last edited by arty dave; 08-17-21 at 10:47 PM.
Likes For arty dave:
Old 08-18-21, 06:34 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
“Lemme get a ride” or “I’ll give you a ride” back in our BMX days in nyc.

Not bike related but…. Rock scissor paper says shoot! seems like another one of those things with slight regional variations.
Likes For Vismund B:
Old 08-18-21, 09:17 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I grew up in Brookfield (west of Milwaukee). Never heard that term that I can remember.

I'd move back if given a hint of a chance
Old 08-23-21, 06:46 AM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Back in central Pennsylvania, I don't think we called it anything except maybe, "gimme a ride" or "can I have a ride?". But, I do seem to remember that some kid outside our usual circle of friends maybe asked if somebody could "give me a buck." I had no idea what he was talking about, never having heard that before.
Old 08-23-21, 06:46 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
never have heard that. Western NC