Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Wish me luck. how I plan on entering the electric world

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-22, 04:59 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts

Wish me luck. I have been reading about Sywtch for a while now. Since my wife and I are in our 70's riding is getting a little harder. But, since we both ride flat bar road bikes and mountain bikes the thought of purchasing $$$$ to replace our all four of our bikes on a retiree budget was a non-starter. So two weeks ago I decided the time was right to preorder two 700c kits and two 26" kits. Later that week I found someone selling two bikes with kits installed (1 700c and 1 26") on ebay and located only 2 hours away. So I made a deal to purchase both bikes for $1100. Stripped off the kits sold the bikes locally for $600 so I into two pro kits for $500. I cancelled two of my preorders. Now to fit the kits I have to one of our flat bars (2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1) and one of our mountain bikes (2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe). Hope it will be a successful transformation. Then I'll wait for the new kits to appear and do the process over again. The plan is to use these bikes as our travel bikes living off the back of our motorhome during camping trips while our good bikes stay comfy in the garage.
Old 02-12-22, 08:12 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I'm just over a year in using Swytch kits. I have one regular and one pro, but only setup our tandem so far. I rotate the two batteries.

You will need a 10mm fork or have to feather down the motor mounts. Motor is great for assist on hills or into strong winds.

Probably the biggest downside is because the battery mounts to the handlebar it makes adding a front light and other handlebar mounted options a challenge. Battery level is controlled right on top of the battery and we get great range.

Love the quick release feature and because you also went with multiple kits you can extend your range by switching batteries on a longer ride.

You can set up the system for either 15 or 20mph.

Installing the PAS sensor was a learning curve but that also depends on the bike setup.

Overall no issues in using it during various rides- it held up in a long ride in the pouring rain so it is weather resistant.

Hope you enjoy the ride and like you this was an economical way to dip ones toes into electric assist.
Likes For kayakindude: