Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hunt Aero Wide Wheelset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hunt Aero Wide Wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-22, 10:51 AM
AudioSQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hunt 34 Aero Wide Wheelset?

I'm thinking of purchasing the Hunt 34 Aero Wide wheelset, but am not sure it's a significant improvement over what I currently have. I'm admittedly pretty ignorant when it comes to rims, but the numbers look pretty close outside of depth. I mostly ride flat terrain and don't really consider myself a serious rider. I'm open to other suggestions for around $600 or just staying put if I can't really make a decent improvement for that price. Comparison to my current stock wheelset below.

Syncros RP2 (Current)
Inner: 19
Outer: 24
Depth: 24
Weight 1,740

Hunt Aero Wide Disc
Inner: 20
Outer: 26
Depth: 34
Weight: 1,548

Last edited by AudioSQ; 03-15-22 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-15-22, 11:51 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
What bike are you planning on putting these wheels on? If it's truly flat terrain, I'd go bigger in depth.

You're not going to get huge gains in speed or power but the quality of the ride will be better in terms of acceleration and being able to hold speed better.
Old 03-15-22, 12:29 PM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Scott Addict 20 Endurance. I guess my biggest hope is to use less energy in keeping my pace so I have more energy to go longer. Deeper seems to be a lot more expensive and I also worry about crosswinds.
Old 03-15-22, 11:03 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
You'll definitely notice the 200g savings.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-18-22, 04:08 PM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What about the cheap Chinese carbon wheels on eBay? They aren't really any lighter than my current set, but they are deeper than the Hunt 34s. Would they be a better choice?
Old 03-18-22, 05:11 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4401 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by AudioSQ
What about the cheap Chinese carbon wheels on eBay? They aren't really any lighter than my current set, but they are deeper than the Hunt 34s. Would they be a better choice?
Honestly you would be better off just concentrating on your own performance at this point. A cheap set of Chinese carbon aero rims isn't going to be a game-changer for you. If you were at the sharp end of TT racing then the aero might make all the difference, but otherwise you will struggle to notice any gain. Day-to-day variations in wind will be far greater.
Old 03-18-22, 09:08 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I think you will notice the 200 gram difference but unless you are in a really windy area, I'd go deeper like the Zipp 303s or something similar. We get pretty gusty Spring winds here in mountainous Colorado and that 35mm-45mm is about the max I like. In fact, I just ordered some Zipp 303 Firecrests but that have the cheaper 303S. I have used the ENVE 3.4s a few years ago and loved that depth- light and not too deep.
Old 03-19-22, 01:40 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I've gone the Chinese clincher route on several occasions and have been mostly happy. I say mostly because I feel like the actual weights come in higher than what's written in the specs page, but I haven't suffered any catastrophic failures, either. Generic Chinese or known brand, you should be able to find plenty of 40-50mm deep wheels that hit the 1500g mark.
Old 03-19-22, 07:52 PM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What? Work on my own performance instead of trying to buy my gains! 😛

Obviously working on me, and making sure I get proper nutrition will make the biggest difference. That doesn't mean I can't also seek improvements via gear simultaneously.

I'm not big on wasting money though. If a new wheelset won't offer any real improvement then I'm more than happy to spend the money on more audio gear.

I think marginal improvements over a long distance could add up. If new wheels would increase my pace by 5 second per mile then after 60 miles that's five minutes. When riding alone I could care less if it takes me five more minutes, but in a group.. that may be significant. I have no idea how much of a difference wheels would make though. I'm ignorant and tend to lean towards the suggestions that save me money. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-20-22, 12:46 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I cant answer to the differences between the wheels, but I have a set of the Hunts on my Orca, and they are nice! The Hunt freehub though, if you don't like a noisy hub they may not be the ones you want. The free hub sounds like a hive of angry bees lol. Nice wheels though.
Old 03-20-22, 12:59 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I don't the difference is worth it. Save up for a really light (~1300g) wheelset or a deep (40mm+) wheelset. Or something with carbon spokes. Or something wider. Buying a marginally better version of your current wheels doesn't make sense when you look at the variety of options available.
Old 03-20-22, 01:45 AM
sw20

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I'm thinking of purchasing the Hunt 34 Aero Wide wheelset, but am not sure it's a significant improvement over what I currently have. I'm admittedly pretty ignorant when it comes to rims, but the numbers look pretty close outside of depth. I mostly ride flat terrain and don't really consider myself a serious rider. I'm open to other suggestions for around $600 or just staying put if I can't really make a decent improvement for that price. Comparison to my current stock wheelset below.

Syncros RP2 (Current)
Inner: 19
Outer: 24
Depth: 24
Weight 1,740

Hunt Aero Wide Disc
Inner: 20
Outer: 26
Depth: 34
Weight: 1,548
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I bought these.
Old 03-20-22, 09:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4401 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 3,001 Posts
What? Work on my own performance instead of trying to buy my gains! 😛

Obviously working on me, and making sure I get proper nutrition will make the biggest difference. That doesn't mean I can't also seek improvements via gear simultaneously.

I'm not big on wasting money though. If a new wheelset won't offer any real improvement then I'm more than happy to spend the money on more audio gear.

I think marginal improvements over a long distance could add up. If new wheels would increase my pace by 5 second per mile then after 60 miles that's five minutes. When riding alone I could care less if it takes me five more minutes, but in a group.. that may be significant. I have no idea how much of a difference wheels would make though. I'm ignorant and tend to lean towards the suggestions that save me money. Thanks for the feedback.
I was just trying to set realistic expectations for a cheap Chinese or other budget wheelset vs the quite reasonable budget wheels you are already riding. Are they really going to make a significant difference when riding in a group? I don't think so, given that when you are riding in a group even the marginal aero gains will be diluted by riding in the wheels. Nothing wrong with an upgrade, especially a wheel upgrade, but don't expect miracles here. Even if you threw £12k at a complete pro level aero bike, your relative performance in a group ride would still barely change. It really is mostly about the rider with massively diminishing returns on bike expenditure.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-20-22, 10:13 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Saving 5 seconds per mile with wheels? Impossible. Unless one is comparing MA40 box section with 35 mm wide Gators to a fast rim and faster tire. Going from normal, modern 35 mm rims to 60 mm rims might get you 1 second from aerodynamics or a touch more per mile with equal tires. Hambini seems to like Hunt wheels even less than Flo wheels.

For $600 max wheel price, I would focus on top of the line tires and forget wheel aerodynamics, which are more marginal and vastly more expensive than $600.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-21-22, 10:23 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I’ve heard that Hunt is often… optimistic about their wheel weights. Personally, I’d save up a bit more and go for Light Bicycle’s options - about $1k can get you a 46mm deep rim on DT Swiss 240 hubs, or cheaper if you go with 350s.
Old 04-21-22, 10:31 AM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just stuck with the stock wheels. I'm not out here trying to set records so spending a grand to save myself a minute on a 60 mile ride, for me personally, wasn't a worthy investment.
Old 04-21-22, 10:52 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
I just stuck with the stock wheels. I'm not out here trying to set records so spending a grand to save myself a minute on a 60 mile ride, for me personally, wasn't a worthy investment.
The point of deeper wheels is not to save you a minute per ride. (You can save a minute just by making one more green traffic light.) Deeper wheels generate a more pleasing thrum as you are riding along so you feel (without being much) faster.

Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-21-22, 11:02 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 870 Posts
Cyclingtips has a pretty thorough review of these wheels: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/hunt...eelset-review/

Any performance gains here are marginal (at best). 34mm is shallow for an aero wheel and the wheels they compare it to are also not particularly aerodynamic wheelsets. Hunts own testing shows less than 3 watts of difference between this and the other 3 wheels that they tested against (Mavic Cosmic Elite, DT Swiss 1600 Spline, Zipp 30 course, Zipp 202 NSW). That's at 45kph (28mph).

That said, $600 seems like a good price for a set of relatively light, tubeless ready alloy wheels with decent quality hubs/spokes. I think Hunt probably oversells the "aero" benefits, but that doesn't mean these are bad.
Old 04-21-22, 12:20 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The point of deeper wheels is not to save you a minute per ride. (You can save a minute just by making one more green traffic light.) Deeper wheels generate a more pleasing thrum as you are riding along so you feel (without being much) faster.
This is the best (and most honest) reason to get deep aero wheels yet!

I'm surprised so many people claim you will "notice" 200g. If so, ditch your phone for another 200g!
Old 04-21-22, 12:39 PM
msu2001la

I always assumed the more pleasing thrum was exclusive to carbon, rather than related to depth. Does a 34mm depth alloy wheel really provide that sound?
Old 04-21-22, 12:45 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by urbanknight

I'm surprised so many people claim you will "notice" 200g. If so, ditch your phone for another 200g!
With rotational mass and whatnot, you'd really need to strap your phone to your wheel to see if you "notice" the difference.

Just make sure you bought the insurance...
Old 04-21-22, 12:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I'd save for an absolutely better wheelset or a new bike. I wouldn't change from one mediocre wheelset to a slightly less mediocre wheelset.

If you aren't already running some very low rolling resistance tires and tubes (if not tubeless), then the money you want to spend on a wheel set will buy quite a few great tires with low RR.
Old 04-21-22, 12:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Thank you! Another reason is to have carbon fiber everything, except the stem, for which there is no point.

You would notice 200 g of the weight reduction if mostly from the rims (like I did going from Mavic Aksium to Mavic Ksyrium Elite) due to the reduction in rotational inertia. But it would be hard to notice a 200 g weight reduction in the hubs. Either way I would always bring my mobile phone.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-21-22, 01:17 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by msu2001la
With rotational mass and whatnot, you'd really need to strap your phone to your wheel to see if you "notice" the difference.

Just make sure you bought the insurance...
Well yeah, if you concentrated all 200g on one part of the rim instead of evenly distributed throughout, I'd definitely notice that!!!
Old 04-21-22, 01:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
You would notice 200 g of the weight reduction if mostly from the rims (like I did going from Mavic Aksium to Mavic Ksyrium Elite) due to the reduction in rotational inertia. But it would be hard to notice a 200 g weight reduction in the hubs. Either way I would always bring my mobile phone.
Meh, I once built a pair of 1400g wheels to replace the 2000g wheels that came on the bike (390g vs 510g each rim). Even then, I didn't really "notice" anything. I still like to think I got some gains, but nothing made me go "Wow! I can feel the extra speed!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.